Maddog1980

All Australian
Oct 15, 2003
In a house in Perth
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
Why do u guys think u guys will win this week against the MIGHTY BULLDOGS?

Just want to know your opinion on that areas, matchups, and where and why u think you'll win. Who is injured whos not playing, whos in form anything at all. May the best team win. (with no injuries to either side)

We're gonna win cause were better! Try to avoid this comment!

Cheers

Its not this week but next week. I have a good feeling about this game and feel we have had a better pre-season than the Bullies. Even with Kerr out, I believe our midfielders can get on top and then its just a matter of kicking straight and praying to God that Trent Carroll doesn't let Rawlings have a day out like Darren Glass did.

Originally posted by Maddog1980

We're gonna win cause were better! Try to avoid this comment!

:( But that pretty much sums up my opinion on all matters football related.

Erm, in terms of who we'll be missing. Daniel Kerr is serving a one week suspension in round one, and the other big missing players will be Glass and Gaspar who are only very slight chances to be fit to play.

There's been a lot of discussion about matchups and whatnot on some of the other threads on this board, erm, in terms of people to look out for
-Quentin Lynch will start at CHB, and has been absolutely outstanding so far this preseason. McDougall at FF and Johnson at CHF have also shown a lot, so we'll be going in a much taller team than last year.

-Judd is considerably better than last year, enjoy =)

-With Gardiner lacking match fitness, chances are Cox will start in the ruck- he's another guy who has had a huge preseason for us.

As for how the game will pan out, we're gonna win because we're bette-erm, that is to say I think our midfield is strong enough to blow the game away if they get on top. Our biggest weakness will be at fullback, so to win this game we're going to need to dominate out of the centre, to give whichever poor sod gets the job on Rawlings as much of an advantage as possible.

WC win and lose games through the midfield. If teams can manage to break even with Gardy, Cuz, Fletch, Judd, Kerr, Embers, Braun etc then we struggle to win but more often than not our midfield destroys the opposition's midfield and we run, run, run our way to victory.

Im hoping and expecting for this to happen against the Dogs in round 1. Even without Kerr in the side our midfield should still be strong enough to give us enough supply from the middle for Sampi, Matera, McDougall and co to kick a winning score.

Even if Carrol has a shocker on rawlings ( it might be Hunter hopefully ) our midfield will deny the dogs forward line of the ball.
and maddog1980, can u tell me how your midfield ( who is your midfield? ) will fare up against ours.
For more info on probable matchups see the Hawks vs Eagles GBU i think its page 2 but see page 3 as well.

Why were going to kick your arse:

1)Our midfield is far superior than the bullies.
2)We've found a couple of targets up forward in the preseason.
3)We got a CHB now in Lynchy

Midfield supremacy is the short answer. And the fact a certain N.Brown has jumped ship helps us as he has killed us in recent years.

I Think Cox in the ruck will hurt the bulldogs, feeding a pack of ravenous midfielders who will feed a forward line with something to prove.

Players to watch for the Bulldogs will be Brad Johnson and Jade Rawlings. If we can control those two and the midfield I expect the Eagles to win by over 30. I also think the Eagles realise the Bulldogs have a young, reasonably quick, hard running midfield - as demonstrated in Perth last year - so they will not underestimate the Bullies.

I also believe our backline will be a stronger unit this year with likes of Q.Lynch back there. Bring on season 2004!

There is a lot of comtetition for places at the Bulldogs this year, unlike last year. This alone will improve the team;

http://westernbulldogs.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=138175

Should be a great game.

I do worry about the Eagle's midfield but think we have a few tricks up our sleeves. We will be adding Robert Murphy to our midfield group this year which should make us a more creative outfit. Hahn would be a good match up for Judd.

I think we have some advantage in the key position areas, mainly in attack. We have Rawlings, Croft and a resting Darcy to throw forward and most of the Eagle's tall timber in defence do not have that level of experience, unless of course Jakovich plays back. We can also toss in the much improved Bowden, Johnson and Giansiracusa as the mid sized to smaller forwards who can cause you plenty of problems.

One fascinating duel will be the potential match up of Bulldog Full Back Brian Harris on McDougall. The way I see it this will be a contest between 2 mighty young talls who look set to have long careers with their respective clubs. Both are at similar stages of their careers and this battle could have a big bearing on the game.

Originally posted by The Doctor

I think we have some advantage in the key position areas, mainly in attack. We have Rawlings, Croft and a resting Darcy to throw forward and most of the Eagle's tall timber in defence do not have that level of experience, unless of course Jakovich plays back. We can also toss in the much improved Bowden, Johnson and Giansiracusa as the mid sized to smaller forwards who can cause you plenty of problems.

Unfortunately throwing Jako back is not an option really anymore, he'd just make our woes down back worse...Up forward however he still can provide usefullness.

I echo the others in that i just think we have too many midfielders for you to be able to curb them all. Also so far i think our forward line is exerting a lot more defensive pressure, keeping the ball inside the 50 longer which will help us stop run out of defense and give us more chance of getting more goals.

WCE by 25.

Or performance in the 1st Q will play a big part in the outcome of this game. Last season we had some impressive wins on the road being mainly the wins against the Pies at the Dome and Lions at the Gabba, and in both games we got off to flying starts. Saying that we also experienced a few shockers when we let the opposition domintate us early on and left ourselves too much ground to make up later on. I'm pretty sure Woosha will be aware of these bad starts and will address the issue so that we are switched on form word go. A stronger defence this year with Lynch at CHB should also help strengthen our backline and stem the flow of goals.
Your biggest danger is your forward line and like everyone else has already stated, you need to get the ball through our midfield to give them an opportunity to hurt us.

"Our midfield is better - who is your midfield?"

Okay, FYI...

Scott West, Mitch Hahn, Daniel Giansiracusa, Brad Johnson, Robert Murphy, Nathan Eagleton, Sam Power

Also likely to see Boyd, Cooney and Ray through there in bursts.

West and Johno are known quantities. A lot depends on the output of Hahn, Guido and Murphy. If they have decent games, we can win. Either of Eagleton and Power performing would be a bonus.

Docklands is not a happy hunting ground for us.

Always difficult to predict at the start of the season, but the Eagles must get off to a flyer.

That said, if the Dogs can cramp our midfield style, then they are in with a pretty good chance I think.

We underestimate them at our peril.

Will Grant play? and will Lynch start on him?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by stefoid
"Our midfield is better - who is your midfield?"

Okay, FYI...

Scott West, Mitch Hahn, Daniel Giansiracusa, Brad Johnson, Robert Murphy, Nathan Eagleton, Sam Power

Also likely to see Boyd, Cooney and Ray through there in bursts.

West and Johno are known quantities. A lot depends on the output of Hahn, Guido and Murphy. If they have decent games, we can win. Either of Eagleton and Power performing would be a bonus.
Only thing you will win this year is this...
PO14_big.jpg

Grant will play CHB.

Our tall forwards will be Rawlings and Bandy, with Bowden floating on a flank or pocket. One of either Croft, Morgan or a resting ruckman (darcey or street) will also loiter close to goal as a long target.

Hard to believe, but I think our tall options in attack will stretch your defence.

Grant will play CHB.

Our tall forwards will be Rawlings and Bandy, with Bowden floating on a flank or pocket. One of either Croft, Morgan or a resting ruckman (darcey or street) will also loiter close to goal as a long target.

Hard to believe, but I think our tall options in attack will stretch your defence.

Ditto at the other end, really, since we'll most likely be playing McDougall (197) Johnson (199) and Gardiner (199) up forward, with Chick, Matera and Sampi the smalls. Even more amusing to see such huge forward lines given that last year, both teams were noted for their lack of talls.

I sort of get the feeling this game really will come down to whoever wins it out of the centre- both forward lines are pretty scary, and will kick big scores if they get a lot of high, well directed delivery for the marking forwards- so in the absence of any outstanding defensive efforts, whoever dominates out of the centre will win.

Originally posted by coasting
....praying to God that Trent Carroll doesn't let Rawlings have a day out like Darren Glass did.

When did this 'day out' happen?

We can muster 3 big defensive talls this year, although collectively a few cms shorter than the lot you have mentioned:

Grant (CHB) 193
Harris (FB) 194
Morgan 194

If you guys have success playing Gardiner or another ruckman forward, we might have Street (208cm) contest the centre bounces and then drop back loose in defence while Darcy roams around the ground and up forward.

Frankly we are more afraid of your small forwareds in Bulldog land - a small stopper is our achiles heel - they have really cut us up for the last year or so in every team that has a good one.

thank god the doggies dont have brown...which takes out his token seven goals. i hate to speculate who would actually play on brown if he were. *shudder*

there is very little doubt that if we can keep rawlings to 2 goals or less we will win the match. however, i have a feeling that will be easier said than done. hopefully he can continue his history of dodgy kicking and gardiner can play so well upforward on grant that rawlings has to be moved back. that would be ideal.

Frankly we are more afraid of your small forwareds in Bulldog land - a small stopper is our achiles heel - they have really cut us up for the last year or so in every team that has a good one.

Ah very similar to West Coast. Milne, Brown, Johncock, Didak, Cupido, Robertson and the Burgoyne's all killed us last year kicking multiple goals. You guys without Brown and the Tigers playing him midfield will help our chances.

I think if Carroll, or whoever is on Rawlings, can break even with him then we are a good chance to come away with the points. The Bulldogs have a good up and coming midfield so they will relish the test against ours, which would be in the top 3 in the league.

In previous years, Johnson, Smith, Grant, Giansaracusa, Hahn and Murphy have had very good outings. If we can put a few of them out of the picture, a few of their youngs guys will need to step up. Are they up for it? We'll see.

West Coast by 15

the thing is the dos have a very good small forward top worry about in matera ans ampi who do we have to wory about in terms of small forwards?

Originally posted by eagleye
the thing is the dos have a very good small fi=orward top worry about in matera ans ampi who do we have to wory about in terms of small forwards?

Ok for anyone that didnt understand that:

The thing is, the dogs have a very good small forward to worry about in Matera and Sampi. Who do we have to worry about in terms of small forwards?

Answer: Not nearly as much now that Nathan Brown plays with Richmond!

Sure I think we can win, but I think most of you are too confident. I think you should hold your comments about us being 'better' and Footscray winning the wooden spoon until after the game. They have quality players in Grant, Darcy, Bandy, West, Street, Rawlings, Croft, Johnson etc.. Sure we have a good midfield and forward line but we know what can happen on our travels. So lets stay confident, not cocky and hope to god the lads play well and get our season off to a good start. Don't under-estimate the dogs.

Originally posted by bluey17
Sure I think we can win, but I think most of you are too confident. I think you should hold your comments about us being 'better' and Footscray winning the wooden spoon until after the game. They have quality players in Grant, Darcy, Bandy, West, Street, Rawlings, Croft, Johnson etc.. Sure we have a good midfield and forward line but we know what can happen on our travels. So lets stay confident, not cocky and hope to god the lads play well and get our season off to a good start. Don't under-estimate the dogs.

Bugger that! We're gonna trounce them! Not only will they win the wooden spoon but will also receive another priority pick due to them winning less than 5 games this season. The palayers you have named are nothing but has beens and never coulds and should have retired ages ago. ;)

Originally posted by carlyp
Ok for anyone that didnt understand that:

The thing is, the dogs have a very good small forward to worry about in Matera and Sampi. Who do we have to worry about in terms of small forwards?

Answer: Not nearly as much now that Nathan Brown plays with Richmond!

Johnson, but he is more of a leading half forward than a tricky pocket. Garlick has been playing in the pocket on occasion, but he is not in Browns class. Guido might rest forward and has been known to kick a goal.

Actually keep your eye on Pat Bowden - he is an elusive (loose) tall flanker who is in fine form at the moment. Can be exploited by an opponent who will run off him, but if you dont check him tightly, he will kick his bag of 4 or 5.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back