Opinion Butcher

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
a well worn opinion is that he will eventually come good. I think that time is slowly proving that one wrong.

How was Jay travelling at age 24/25 - and his setshot was immaculate.

Butch is 23 and still in it to win it. Needs a big year but so does everyone not currently first choice. If you're going to cut some extra slack to anyone on your list, it's a big key forward who cost a first round pick.

Butch is 23 and still in it to win it. Needs a big year but so does everyone not currently first choice. If you're going to cut some extra slack to anyone on your list, it's a big key forward who cost a first round pick.
Needs to get his s**t together pretty soon I would suggest, but the bolded part is certainly true.

Just noted the name Ken Whelan in this thread... the guy was a freaky full forward. Better leap than Modra. Probably the best full forward this state has produced. Died of brain tumour a few years back.

Yep. Fantastic guy, very modest and my next door neighbour all of my life (as well as my old mans best mate). Was a huge shock when he fell ill. RIP Kenny.

We have to cut him slack because there is no other feasible options.
If we traded him to another club we wont get sweet FA for him anyway so best to hang onto and pray.

Pretty much. As of right now we can't lose with him.

If he continues on his current trajectory he sinks to the bottom of the depth chart and off the list, with Schulz, Westhoff and Ryder conducting business as usual and Shaw and Harvey continuing to grow and tantalise us with their burgeoning talents as the year wears on.

But if he comes good and rekindles that contested marking/relentless chasing/like-Northeast-they-go-straight magic though, jeepers. Would be an insane bonus for where the team is at.

Yep. Fantastic guy, very modest and my next door neighbour all of my life (as well as my old mans best mate). Was a huge shock when he fell ill. RIP Kenny.
I was lucky enough to work with him for the last few years of his career as a primary school teacher.... Hilarious bloke! Always first in for happy hour and one of the last to leave. His knees were shot but was still able to hit a chest 30m away with a bullet handball. The staff room wasn't the same when he left! RIP Kenny

A few of Ken Whelans there. Now i'm nostalgic for the Pie and Pasty football nights at South Downs Primary school on the reel to reel tapes.

Ken Whelan went to my old school ( Brighton high ) 4 or 5 years after me.
A mate of mine who was a fairly decent suburban player stood him in a game against BHS old scholars in about 1970 and got torched to the tune of about a dozen sausage rolls, which was apparently a par for the course score for Kenny at the time.

As far as I'm aware he didn't play any junior footy for the blues and had to be enticed to the club after they noticed his exploits in the ammos.

Ken Whelan was the nearest I have seen to Modra, he wasn't a big bloke but he had a leap like a startled gazelle and his accuracy rate wasn't too bad either, he kicked some huge bags of goals in his SANFL career.

I believe his old man `Rusty ' Whelan played some league games for the blue baggers in the early 50's.

Sad to hear of his passing.

Okay, say he plays 12 games of reasonable to good quality football. He's solid but not spectacular, similar to 2014.

Shaw and Harvey don't come on at all and Butcher remains ahead of them at SANFL level.

In the 3rd quarter of the grand final, Schulz does his knee and it's a Trent Croad style win the flag but end your career.

You can't delist Butcher in that scenario. What happens to Butcher is dependent on what happens to our other KPFs as it is on his own form.
I am a fan of Butcher, but by the end of the season was he really ahead of Shaw? I understand he kicked more goals, but I felt that Shaw presented better and was certainly more consistent.

I am a fan of Butcher, but by the end of the season was he really ahead of Shaw? I understand he kicked more goals, but I felt that Shaw presented better and was certainly more consistent.

Obviously Butcher missed a few games late, but I felt that Butcher was the KPF that opposition teams were more worried about and he was definitely still the leader up forward. I still see Butcher as the incumbent and he'd still be next in line if say, we lost Schulz for round 1.

There is nothing stopping Shaw from overtaking Butcher in 2015, and if Butcher doesn't improve i'd expect that to happen. I feel like both will improve though, especially if Butcher is fully fit all preseason.

Shaw had some SANFL good moments when he returned from injury approx 1/3 of the way through the season. There was (doing this from memory) one 5 goal haul which included several from balls he won far up the ground, bringing it down the guts to kick accurately from a distance. But he wasn't consistent with this form although he was still useful. Presentation v Butcher is too subjective as Shaw wasn't consistently sat with a KPD to deal with.

Different players, Butcher will slot into Westhoffs role. Shaw will still be a Key Forward.

If Harvey can play CHF and Shaw Full Forward next year with Redden and Pinoett/Spurling/Whoever rucking, Butcher can play as the oversized wingman that Westhoff plays so well and Watts is best suited!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crazy to think that Butcher sits about 7th on the all-time AFL record list of "Most goals in a row without kicking a behind" (20 goals in 2011/12). God they were terrible kicks but at least they went through.

I guess there was always gonna be a... correction.

Im guessing no one else was at training this morning and saw the 3k run...

Yeah, good signs... lol!!!

a well worn opinion is that he will eventually come good. I think that time is slowly proving that one wrong.

you know , ive heard dozens of posters state butch will never make it.

ive heard dozens of posters express doubt that he could ever make it.

ive heard maybe 3 posters say he could make it if he could get fit.

there seems to be this general theme here where the anti-butch crew seems to think there is some massive surge of butch believers who think beyond any doubt he will make it. really there is a small group of us that sees he has the natural talent to play forward at afl level , and if he can ever get his body right for long enough he will build his strengths , and curb his deficiencies enough to be a very good asset for port adelaide. the question marks are whether he can keep his body right.

and for gods sake if i ever have to listen to another butch to ruck/chb suggestion again ill go postal.

He finished all but dead last... even the new lads beat him!!!

Dont get me wrong, I am a Butch fan and want him to be playing - but Im just not sure that the "good signs" were there when referring to his run!!

He did look to be moving pretty well during the drills after the run though!!!

In fact, Kane Cornes singled him out and gave him a rocket when he was addressing the entire group after the run!!!

Have we considered Butcher being tried as a ruck or a CHB?

hqdefault.jpg

Just noted the name Ken Whelan in this thread... the guy was a freaky full forward. Better leap than Modra. Probably the best full forward this state has produced. Died of brain tumour a few years back.
With all due respect to Ken Whelan (RIP), who by all reports was a fantastic player, but I think Ken Farmer has that mantle well and truly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back