Bye bye Clarkson

Remove this Banner Ad

Please, you can’t be serious?! Sugar hit!! Really? 🤮
I think it's called 'nourishment' - and its exactly what Clarko referred to after the Gold Coast win in the last round of last year. The win cost us Reid but Clarko (and plenty on here) said that the 'nourishment' was worth that price.

When you are losing every game by an average of 50 points plus - and that stat really needs to sink in for a number on here as to how putrid things have become - then some nourishment is needed.

Nourishment for us right now would be a hard fought 3 goal loss - having a player get bog - having a player kick 5 goals. Last year we had Sheezal as a first year player; Larkey playing well and making AA. This year there is nothing approaching that - a couple of younger players showing promise but other more senior heads gong backward at a rapid race.

A % in the mid 50's and we still haven't played 3 of the top 4 teams - if you don't think this level and consistency of losing is having a fundamental impact on the culture and psyche of everyone at the club then I can only imagine you haven't played alot of team sport.

Clarko will make his own decision on his career - he will not be asked to leave by us - but you can see the impact our position (and issues like the racism saga) have had on him. He is now in his late 50's and a shadow of the former coach he was in his 30's and 40's. The game doesn't stop for anyone - Clarko included.

I think it's called 'nourishment' - and its exactly what Clarko referred to after the Gold Coast win in the last round of last year. The win cost us Reid but Clarko (and plenty on here) said that the 'nourishment' was worth that price.

When you are losing every game by an average of 50 points plus - and that stat really needs to sink in for a number on here as to how putrid things have become - then some nourishment is needed.

Nourishment for us right now would be a hard fought 3 goal loss - having a player get bog - having a player kick 5 goals. Last year we had Sheezal as a first year player; Larkey playing well and making AA. This year there is nothing approaching that - a couple of younger players showing promise but other more senior heads gong backward at a rapid race.

A % in the mid 50's and we still haven't played 3 of the top 4 teams - if you don't think this level and consistency of losing is having a fundamental impact on the culture and psyche of everyone at the club then I can only imagine you haven't played alot of team sport.

Clarko will make his own decision on his career - he will not be asked to leave by us - but you can see the impact our position (and issues like the racism saga) have had on him. He is now in his late 50's and a shadow of the former coach he was in his 30's and 40's. The game doesn't stop for anyone - Clarko included.

Age has absolutely nothing to do with it; everything else yeh

But geez I’m getting a bit over this Age as an excuse

Wayne Bennett says hello

I feel pity for Ross. He’s clearly demonstrated that he hasn’t got the intellectual capacity or intestinal fortitude to ride out the current period that’s going to exist for another 20-30 games before it starts to turn.

He’d rather a sugar hit than laying a foundation for sustainable success. One of the first steps is allowing young talented players to develop to the point where they can compete against seasoned AFL bodies and that step will take time.

This is the deluded company line, that somehow with 30 - 40 games more it will turn and we are laying the foundations for success.

80 percent of that team last night have played a lot of seasons of AFL footy. There would be incremental improvement amongst the Powells etc, but they are basically the finished product now.

The change in them won’t be as drastic as you would like to think. So that leaves the 20 percent which are your Hardeman’s, Archer’s even Wardlaw. Is the improvement in that 20 percent going to be that drastic it will propel us up the ladder. If so, how far?

You could say we are missing Goater and a couple of others which is fair. But again, how much difference will this make. We are in a position currently that we can’t win a quarter. Will this take us to 17th, 16th, just outside the 8?

So who plays CHF this week weird Al clarkovic.

I don't think it worked with the long bombs to Greenheads. I was surprised that it didn't.
7 goals for the game, there are some things you can control and plenty you can't.
I'd focus on what you can fwiw. If you bought over Pinks and Nuyon at least play one of them, as it seems strange to have them at the club otherwise. Now I know both aren't remotely AfL standard. Blind drunk Freddie could see that.

But you think Comben is making a difference, our opponents are averaging near forty scoring shots per game. ******* forty. And I,d love to know how many start from an easy mark in our fwd line. I rate Larkey but he isn't a strong pack mark.

Wouldn't it be better if we had someone who can bring the ball to ground and at least allow a contest in our fwd line.
re biggie and pink, pink is far from david dench however biggie is even further than any AFL player. sure he is athletic and even his skills are far from the worst i have seen but his general field play is horrendous, i suspect he began playing pretty late in life because he completely struggles to read the play, pink on the other hand understands the game at least,

I shouldn't intrude but analyse the history of North via past player interviews. All the past players of the successful North Sides of the 70s reference Brian Dixon as teaching them the football fundamentals. Dixon sides won wooden spoons and he was replaced by Barrassi. I doubt you could have a better teacher of the fundamentals than Clarkson. Start judging results in 3 years.

True - but the last 3 didn't change a thing in that regard. I get your point and am a little worried about Clarko and our total lack of improvement is distressing. But right now we need stability. Give Clarko more time. I'm uneasy - but its the best option we have right now.
When are people going to
Wake up & smell the rotted roses that Clarko is the problem here right now .

I feel pity for Ross. He’s clearly demonstrated that he hasn’t got the intellectual capacity or intestinal fortitude to ride out the current period that’s going to exist for another 20-30 games before it starts to turn.

He’d rather a sugar hit than laying a foundation for sustainable success. One of the first steps is allowing young talented players to develop to the point where they can compete against seasoned AFL bodies and that step will take time.
IMG_6758.gif

Billy Crystal Crying GIF by MOODMAN

As much as people don’t want to hear it and will argue that the list build has been ongoing for 5+ years, the unfortunate reality is that this is year 2 of the complete club rebuild. Still a long way to go.

For me, it’s more a reflection of how dark the place was, versus how dark it currently is.

Whether Clarkson is there or not for our next premiership, you can argue either way, but make no mistake, only a very experienced coach and GM of footy could turn this around. They need a lot more time unfortunately.

So if we got Reid we would not have got Zane lets just wait a tad longer to see if winning that game really cost us that much or are you not a fan of Zane.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well said đź‘Ź

The top 4 teams are GWS Geelong Sydney and Carlton.

heck the ladder. Thats the top 4.

We have played 3 of the top 4

Where the heck is this guy?

Why does North have the castrated coward version.

How about you get out from behind your keyboard and go down to the club and call the bloke a weak eunuch. I think we’ll find out pretty quick who’s the gutless one

We are nearing half way thru the season. We have played a few legit finals contenders & some teams we legit penciled in a wins at the start of the season . We are 0-9 & play * & Port . So u can bank on being 0-11 . Our best players are our 18,19 20 year old kids who with limited pre seasons & AFL kms under the belt will undoubtedly tire & fall away in the 2nd half of the year .
I cannot see us squeezing a win anywhere.

This is the deluded company line, that somehow with 30 - 40 games more it will turn and we are laying the foundations for success.

80 percent of that team last night have played a lot of seasons of AFL footy. There would be incremental improvement amongst the Powells etc, but they are basically the finished product now.

The change in them won’t be as drastic as you would like to think. So that leaves the 20 percent which are your Hardeman’s, Archer’s even Wardlaw. Is the improvement in that 20 percent going to be that drastic it will propel us up the ladder. If so, how far?

You could say we are missing Goater and a couple of others which is fair. But again, how much difference will this make. We are in a position currently that we can’t win a quarter. Will this take us to 17th, 16th, just outside the 8?

At the other end there’s a lot of other Teams losing experience as much as ours are gaining experience over the next 3-4 years

As much as people don’t want to hear it and will argue that the list build has been ongoing for 5+ years, the unfortunate reality is that this is year 2 of the complete club rebuild. Still a long way to go.

For me, it’s more a reflection of how dark the place was, versus how dark it currently is.

Whether Clarkson is there or not for our next premiership, you can argue either way, but make no mistake, only a very experienced coach and GM of footy could turn this around. They need a lot more time unfortunately.
As a club we need to stop talking about 'rebuilding' - its a completely outdated concept in the context of FA, academies, an 18 side competition and the AFL's decision to no longer offer early first rounders as additional compensation.

If the mindset internally is that we are 'year 2 into a full rebuild' then we are doomed - in fact if that is the thinking the club is simply abrogating responsibility to put a competitive side on the park (which seems to be the case given the performances we have seen this year.)

The idea that you could 'rebuild' through the draft was a potential pathway forward in the early 2000's before FA and academies - however 2 decades have passed since then and it simply no longer a valid approach.

To be successful in the modern era a club needs to be using all avenues available to secure players capable of being competitive and the benefit of bringing Clarko on board as coach was his potential to bring mature players with him. With our complete lack of competitiveness that looks like a pipe dream now.

80 percent of that team last night have played a lot of seasons of AFL footy.
Just over half of the team that played last night have played more than two seasons worth of footy. 13 players.

Two full seasons worth of games isn't "lots of seasons" either.

can someone tell me what we got out of the Clarko presser this week ? I could play any of his after match press conferences this year & they are all exactly the same ?!
Give us something mate !
(For some reason the presser footage on the AFL was cut short) maybe because they thought the same ?!🤣
IMG_0005.jpeg

Last edited:
can someone tell me what they got out of the Clarko presser this week ? I could play any of his after match press conferences this year & they are all exactly the same ?!
Give us something mate !
(For some reason the presser footage on the AFL was cut short) maybe because they thought the same ?!🤣
View attachment 1987162
What could he or any coach possibly say?

can someone tell me what they got out of the Clarko presser this week ? I could play any of his after match press conferences this year & they are all exactly the same ?!
Give us something mate !
View attachment 1987162
Did he forget to say we had little wins?

As a club we need to stop talking about 'rebuilding' - its a completely outdated concept in the context of FA, academies, an 18 side competition and the AFL's decision to no longer offer early first rounders as additional compensation.

If the mindset internally is that we are 'year 2 into a full rebuild' then we are doomed - in fact if that is the thinking the club is simply abrogating responsibility to put a competitive side on the park (which seems to be the case given the performances we have seen this year.)

The idea that you could 'rebuild' through the draft was a potential pathway forward in the early 2000's before FA and academies - however 2 decades have passed since then and it simply no longer a valid approach.

To be successful in the modern era a club needs to be using all avenues available to secure players capable of being competitive and the benefit of bringing Clarko on board as coach was his potential to bring mature players with him. With our complete lack of competitiveness that looks like a pipe dream now.
So are you saying we haven't been trying all avenues to bring in good or better talent in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back