Review Bye Week Boredom

Remove this Banner Ad

No Swans in action this week, so I'm really not sure why the AFL have even bothered to keep the competition going at all?

Time to take a breather, look back at the eleven rounds that have been, and the twelve rounds that lie ahead for us.

What's worked?
What hasn't worked?
Favourite highlights and biggest disappointments
How far can we go?

Have at it folks.

What’s worked:

* The medical staff (for all the wrong reasons)

What hasn’t worked:

* The goal kicking

Highlights:

• Errol’s continued emergence
  • Lizard’s dash and daring
  • Lloyd and Parker’s ever-reliable presence
  • Campbell’s left boot
  • bedford getting a new keyboard

Lowlights:

• McCartin concussions
  • Freakish wind gusts when Florent kicks at goal
  • Last quarter fade-outs
  • Horse’s determination to shatter Dylan’s confidence & make him a whipping boy for every loss
  • Sweet Caroline
  • BT

How far can we go?

An elimination final (the moment we have to play a final on the MCG or Gabba, we’re goneski).

I felt my match day posting has been pretty solid. I have gone in and out of games at times and found myself focused elsewhere. But usually when it gets to the main point of the game I am locked in.

My umpire complaints are up and I have been very quick to make jokes about our game style and coaching? got the odd laugh.

I have no idea what the reserves are doing and don't watch enough other teams so have bluffed through there .

Ventured into the non footy related stuff .

I think I have had a solid season, despite injury

I think we have played so boring as s**t footy this year

2021 and 2022 we were great to watch.

The carlton game was good to win well but that was a low quality scrap fest

The perfect book for this week is Catch 22. Do people still read it?

Among many memorable characters Yossarian's friend Dunbar is one of my favourites.

Dunbar knows he is doomed and to feel like he's had a long life, he cultivates boredom where time passes very slowly. I might go find it and give it my umpteenth read to deal with the bye.

One thing I've found is Horse pressers where he is dolefully praising our intent seem to go for our hours.

What's worked?
Not a lot. Would be nice to keep a few more KPP’s fit and healthy. 3 key defenders and first choice ruck out most of the season has been impactful.
  • Fox has been one of our most important defenders, one of the few to continue to improve.
  • Errol is improving week on week and believe he has the ability to revolutionise playing on the wing.
  • Luke Parker’s leadership since taking on the sole role on the park.
What hasn't worked?
Coaching, specifically our centre bounce/midfield set up. We haven’t learnt lessons from grand final.
Game plan seems to be muddled between 2020-22, new kicking and fast moving, high risk/high reward versus Slow, possession, low risk and stoppage heavy defensive style over 2010-2019 period.
  • Buddy’s last year unfortunately
  • Sam Reid’s body
  • Isaac Heeney, need to make more of his attributes and make him our main man. Liked his game v Carlton, think this should be his future, he is in the peak years right now. Isaac should be our Petracca, Dusty, De Goey, all similar hybrid type players.
Favourite highlights
  • lizard doing lizard things v Tigers and Carlton especially.
  • the Chad, has been brilliant at times
  • Paps only good game this year v Tigers, he was mesmerising and played one of the most complete small forward games I have seen.
  • Logan and Amartey beating up the Hawks, our future forward line, very exciting.
  • Robbie Fox standing against the tide versus the better teams.
and biggest disappointments
  • game v Geelong, the one game we didn’t show up was the one we needed to the most. Was a horrible horrible low light of the season. The opposition were literally laughing at us. Hope our boys respond appropriately in the next game.
  • halfway into the high five with mates as Ollie Florents goal bound kick v Port, turned into a WTF happened moment!
  • team not realising the one man they needed to watch v GWS at a d50 stoppage in last minute.
  • Paddy McCartin, feel for the fella, seems like a great bloke. Must be hard to deal with, hope he gets back to health. Concerned for his well-being.
How far can we go?
I think we have turned a corner. We have got two scrappy wins to get season back on track at 5-6. Hopefully we can get to 7-7 first 3 games post bye (based on current form) and then Depends on which players we can get back, from that time onwards.
T.McCartin, Rampe, Mills, Amartey, Logan will be key, Ladhams will add depth and could be a good forward/ruck option.
If we get players back and firing, potentially week 2 of the finals. If not, we will miss the 8. I have resigned myself to not making it, so will be pleasantly surprised if we do.

We'll make finals. 👌🏻

Swans are generally strong finishers to the season so I'm not worried at all. Saints are opposite. Start a season strongly, finish poorly.

On another note, it's amazing what a win does. Been in an upbeat mood for a week now. I partly just want the swans to win another premiership just so I can get that generally positive mood back for a whole 12 months.

No Swans in action this week, so I'm really not sure why the AFL have even bothered to keep the competition going at all?

Time to take a breather, look back at the eleven rounds that have been, and the twelve rounds that lie ahead for us.

What's worked?
What hasn't worked?
How far can we go?

Have at it folks.

Whats worked
Not much as a team at overall little things to look forward to
Fox and Blakey improving substantially without any support down back. Campbell coming on nicely.
McLean offers the 1 grab 1 mark that we need as we bomb a lot.

Whats gone wrong
Oh boy haha lots firstly out of control is injuries which have been quite ridiculous and concentrated in just one area teams can cover when injuries vary per position but when it all hits in one area its tough.

Midfield wow its unfortunately been a drastic fall its mostly been left to Parker to shoulder everything.

Forward structure disjointed for most of the weeks without improvement.

Goal kicking... idk seems like a easy fix just practice more?

Highlights
Gulden and Warner
Win against Carlton (i know)

How far can we go
8-12

The perfect book for this week is Catch 22. Do people still read it?

Among many memorable characters Yossarian's friend Dunbar is one of my favourites.

Dunbar knows he is doomed and to feel like he's had a long life, he cultivates boredom where time passes very slowly. I might go find it and give it my umpteenth read to deal with the bye.

One thing I've found is Horse pressers where he is dolefully praising our intent seem to go for our hours.
I took my cat to the vet last week and he told me I had a choice. I could either leave it there and they would put it down, or I could bring it back home and it could die anyway.
Cat's 22.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

• McCartin concussions
  • Freakish wind gusts when Florent kicks at goal
  • Last quarter fade-outs
  • Horse’s determination to shatter Dylan’s confidence & make him a whipping boy for every loss
  • Sweet Caroline
  • BT
Sorry this is off topic and will be long but whatever.....

On Friday night I finally got my BFF to a Swans game! She is a diehard NRL woman and hated our game, couldn't understand it and was never interested in trying to learn more about it. Finally after nearly 25 years of me being a member and begging her to come to just one game, the planets aligned and she couldn't say no - I finally got her there.
Firstly she was stunned with the size of the crowd, apart from SOO and GF's (she's a Panthers fan) she had never experienced a crowd that size.
She loved how many people were wearing club colours, apparently we are far more into showing our colours than NRL crowds do.
She was amazed at the great rapport between the opposition fans and friendly banter she heard, VERY different to the NRL she said.

She loved the whole experience from all the activities going on in Driver Ave before the game, till joyously belting out the song after the final siren, but the absolute jewel in the crown for her was at the end of qtr time when they did the Sweet Caroline singalong!!!
She was gob smacked! Loved it, loved the way everyone was singing along and dancing in their seats, never had she experienced anything like it!

All up, I think we have a convert and we are planning a road trip to Adelaide next year for gather round.

Gee Caesar, a week in and you’re already setting us homework.

You were supposed to be the fun substitute teacher.:tonguewink:
whip it devo GIF

Sorry this is off topic and will be long but whatever.....

On Friday night I finally got my BFF to a Swans game! She is a diehard NRL woman and hated our game, couldn't understand it and was never interested in trying to learn more about it. Finally after nearly 25 years of me being a member and begging her to come to just one game, the planets aligned and she couldn't say no - I finally got her there.
Firstly she was stunned with the size of the crowd, apart from SOO and GF's (she's a Panthers fan) she had never experienced a crowd that size.
She loved how many people were wearing club colours, apparently we are far more into showing our colours than NRL crowds do.
She was amazed at the great rapport between the opposition fans and friendly banter she heard, VERY different to the NRL she said.

She loved the whole experience from all the activities going on in Driver Ave before the game, till joyously belting out the song after the final siren, but the absolute jewel in the crown for her was at the end of qtr time when they did the Sweet Caroline singalong!!!
She was gob smacked! Loved it, loved the way everyone was singing along and dancing in their seats, never had she experienced anything like it!

All up, I think we have a convert and we are planning a road trip to Adelaide next year for gather round.

can i come

I felt my match day posting has been pretty solid. I have gone in and out of games at times and found myself focused elsewhere. But usually when it gets to the main point of the game I am locked in.

My umpire complaints are up and I have been very quick to make jokes about our game style and coaching? got the odd laugh.

I have no idea what the reserves are doing and don't watch enough other teams so have bluffed through there .

Ventured into the non footy related stuff .

I think I have had a solid season, despite injury
Actually, a self assessment thread is a Stirling idea.

What's worked?
What hasn't worked?
How far can we go?

Have at it folks.

What's worked?
Continued development of Gulden & Campbell, both have settled into their roles very nicely.
Blakey gaining experience as the main KPD, he'll be better for it moving forward.
Parkers leadership, can't fault his efforts
Heeney finally getting a legitimate shot in the midfield
Mclean nailing his role in the last few weeks

What hasn't worked?
Soo soo much :(
Injuries, long term & uncertain injuries like the unfortunate concussions
Gameday tactics, think we've been poor in this aspect with going too defensive at the wrong times
Preparation, clearly whatever is happening with our prep isn't working with inconsistent performances & poor skill levels at times
Papley & Heeneys form, both have been pretty poor for the season
Biggest one - little to no improvement in winning the contested ball after it's focus over the last season

Favourite highlights
Lizard breaking away from halfback
Guldens performances
Heeneys performance in the mids v Carlton
Pressure verse Collingwood for most of the game

Biggest disappointments
Lack of improvement in contested footy
Horrible performance verse Geelong
Losing close games
Losing verse Collingwood
Goalkicking!

How far can we go?
Things in our control:
1. Goalkicking, it has to improve. Especially set shot goal kicking.
2. Pressure, for the entire game not just parts of the game. We win games when our pressure is consistently elite.
3. Contested football, we need to break-even & hopefully win the contested ball. I think the below is very dependent on it.
4. Isaac Heeney, he has to play in the midfield moving forward to help with our contested football & more important give belief to the other players that we can match & beat other teams in winning the contested ball. He mentioned this post game, he hopes our performance verse the blues gives our players belief that we can win the damn ball.

I think injuries are the biggest factor but that's something not really in our control.

Hoping for finals football but realistic we just miss out due to dropping a couple of close games earlier in the season.

What's worked?
Gulden more time in the midfield.
Heeney’s cameo last week in the midfield.
McLean as the second ruck has stepped up in the absence of others.

What hasn't worked?
Injuries have hurt, Mills and Florent down back is a waste of talent.
Forward 50 pressure has been off this year.

Highlight- Knocking the Blues off and watching them implode.

Disappointment - Cats game, the lack of effort and intent.

How far can we go?

We’ve not beaten anyone above us. Unless that changes we will have September off.

Last edited:
Didn’t think to mention it earlier, but to me a major disappointment has been the VFL side & most notably, the underwhelming performances from our 2022 draft crop.

I realise there are mitigating circumstances - but I look forward to getting excited about draftees.

Hasn’t yet happened this year.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back