Call of Duty 8 first details

Remove this Banner Ad

To be honest, Black Ops is the only one that isn't a whole new game in my mind, just a polished up version of WaW. COD4 was revolutionary and MW2, as s**t as it may have been.. was an original game.

Funny I see MW2 like a action movie sequel. Same thing but with more bells and whistles however lacking in the feel\aura of the original which made it so good.

First thing it's only rumours. Second thing you probably thought the same thing about COD4 being set in modern times rather than WW2.

For COD4 they were going to go one of two ways: modern warfare or future warfare. Looks like they're going to have a go at the alternative.

I highly doubt it will be full sci-fi. Maybe some new futurisitc weapons. If it is sci fi it will be grounded in reality (i.e. what if there was an invasion, no outlandish future weapons, not 1000s of years into the future). I don't think we'll be seeing plasma rifles.

Either way if they're going to release a game every year even if 2 teams are handling one game each over 2 years they should bring a fresh approach to at least one of them. The current business plan leads to stale games even if they are an improvement on a working formula.

What would be awesome would be if they bought out a COD game every 3-5 years and give the existing community the support that Valve does to games like Team Fortress 2.

I'm no life long COD fan but it looks like they are tarnishing their brand the way many sports games do where people will sit out a game in the series one year.

TLDR - I don't mind the sci-fi/future concept as long as it's grounded in reality but I don't like the business model of a game a year. It will always lead to poorer quality games.

TLDR - I don't mind the sci-fi/future concept as long as it's grounded in reality but I don't like the business model of a game a year. It will always lead to poorer quality games.

Agree with this, shame Activision doesn't share this view.

Call of Duty: The Empire Strikes Back.

First thing it's only rumours. Second thing you probably thought the same thing about COD4 being set in modern times rather than WW2.

For COD4 they were going to go one of two ways: modern warfare or future warfare. Looks like they're going to have a go at the alternative.

I highly doubt it will be full sci-fi. Maybe some new futurisitc weapons. If it is sci fi it will be grounded in reality (i.e. what if there was an invasion, no outlandish future weapons, not 1000s of years into the future). I don't think we'll be seeing plasma rifles.
They're all rumours until being confirmed obviously, but this early last year (and earlier) we were getting told about Vietnam being the setting for what was later turned into Blops. Generally they're spot on.

I think the thing is that Sci-Fi is very much out of the realm of what COD has always been. It's always been ground in the actual world reality and about that real gritty nature of it. For a future warfare world they will have to be riffing off something completely fictional. Modern Warfare has been done in games, so I don't really think there were a lot of people thinking IW couldn't handle an updated setting. This really will be different and the whole "Action-Adventure" rumours offer up even more of a strange setting possibility.
Either way if they're going to release a game every year even if 2 teams are handling one game each over 2 years they should bring a fresh approach to at least one of them. The current business plan leads to stale games even if they are an improvement on a working formula.

What would be awesome would be if they bought out a COD game every 3-5 years and give the existing community the support that Valve does to games like Team Fortress 2.

I'm no life long COD fan but it looks like they are tarnishing their brand the way many sports games do where people will sit out a game in the series one year.
As much as that would be the best plan for GOOD COD games Activision are looking at the monetary side of things and while they're raking in $360 million on the first few days of sales they're hardly going to go changing it up.

Once COD starts to slow down (which I would say could start from next year, not in huge numbers, but will start to slack IMO) it will be time for a different approach, which will most likely see IW or Treyarch (I'm gonna guess only one, IW probably to move onto a new IP) taking a 3 or 4 year long development to really bring something fresh including a new engine.

Either that or we'll see a COD MMO situation.

Modern Warfare, MW2 and BOPS are as fictional as you can get. The MW series in particular is quite offensive both to many people's intelligence and the respective countries it depicts. The implication that USA is still at war with Russia and that eastern european and middle eastern terrorists are a constant invasion threat to America is a whimsical tabloid depiction of post 9/11 world politics. Not to mention how they downplay the horrors of war and depict soldiers as supermen.

Before I politicise the COD series and similar games further I'll stick to the topic. With such fictional storylines it's not a stretch to say a future warfare game would be within their realms. If it involves some sci-fi elements so be it, but my feeling is I don't see it being in space at all. If it is I don't think it's that much of a bad thing to take a fresh approach. A sci fi version of COD is something that could have been a completely new IP, but with the COD brand name it will make $. Just like Red Dead Redemption could have been Grand Theft Western (or somethin').

I heard they were doing an R18+ Adult version of the game:

Call of Bootay

well since its set in the future they should at least have the technology to bring Zakhaev back to life as some sort of bionic super villain...

I heard they were doing an R18+ Adult version of the game:

Call of Bootay

Call of Duty: BoneTownft; Ron Jeremy

bonetown-chicks.jpg

ROFLCOPTER to be had!!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Modern Warfare, MW2 and BOPS are as fictional as you can get. The MW series in particular is quite offensive both to many people's intelligence and the respective countries it depicts. The implication that USA is still at war with Russia and that eastern european and middle eastern terrorists are a constant invasion threat to America is a whimsical tabloid depiction of post 9/11 world politics. Not to mention how they downplay the horrors of war and depict soldiers as supermen.

Thank you. The notion that COD is grounded in gritty realism is ridiculous. It's like the game version of a Michael Bay movie.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back