Can Boomer Harvey reach 500 AFL games?

Can Boomer reach 500 AFL games?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Not unless the AFL extends the home and away season by at least a month...

He needs a further 91 matches which requires him to play every match consecutively for four seasons and rely on North playing at least 3 finals. Therefore he needs at least 4 seasons on top of 2016 so to play into 2020 or at the highest level until the age of 42.

What Boomer has done is incredible because barring a catastrophe he will break Tucks record with a leg in the air, but 500 is beyond even him.

Highly unlikely.

Older players tend to hit the wall with no warning. Its not showing yet for Boomer, but could do so at any time. he might not make it through this year yet. I'm pretty confident he will, but until the opening rounds neither he nor us really knows if he has already decided on a year too long. There's no sign of that, but at his age there isn't always one.

One more is enough. Hit 450 and go out playing at a reasonable level.

Sent by Tapatalk
Boomer Is The Greatest 400 Game Player In History
No he isnt

Sent from my SM-P555 using Tapatalk

I don't understand the selfish tag at all.

There's plenty of critisims you could level at him: he was a pretty poor captain(he's quite quick to point the finger at others and critisise), definitely a complete pest on field, and ULTRA competitive (most acute case of white line fever I've ever seen).

But the constant calls of selfish make litteraly no sense at all? He's continuing to perform at the highest level (see best on ground game vs Richmond in that elimination final). At age 38 that doesnt just happen, it takes total dedication and self sacrifice, the opposite of selfishness.

On field, don't make me laugh. I wish more players took responsibility and kicked for goal when the opportunity presents it. If theres a better option he gives it - hence why he's got the most goal assists since the statistic was recorded. As for those one twos on his signature, long, line breaking runs - if thats selfish then we NEED more selfish players asap! (Wells, Atley, Anderson take notes)

No he doesn't, Steve Johnson does, if you go by average he's 9th (of the top assistors).
Still bloody good.

Edit: He's actually 23rd for all time assists/game.

Last edited:
people may not like him but you can't help but respect what he's done on the field.

and this isn't a dustin fletcher 'miss every second game' limping to the record, he's still probably in their top 5 best players. you wouldn't think he can get to 500 but i'm not gonna say he can't do it.

I can't really see him playing 500 just because North have a number of 30+ players already and have to move them on (certainly if we are talking about 4-5 years to get to 500 games). From an ability perspective, I don't really think he is just going to fall off a cliff though. Marathon runners compete into their late 30's, if you never stop, you don't lose the fitness. Obviously injuries catch up with most people, but at 38 and pretty well injury free, he is no more likely to get injured than someone in their 20's. Nathan Harvey and Craig Bradley were still good players when they retired and Harvey is still Fit/Fast/ A good player so he is as good a chance to squeeze out another 40-50 good games as anyone else.

No he doesn't, Steve Johnson does, if you go by average he's 9th (of the top assistors).
Still bloody good.

Edit: He's actually 23rd for all time assists/game.

GA's has only been a stat since 2003.

Johnson has 226. Boomer has 218.

He would have had a fair few more in the 7 seasons before.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unlikely. The end often comes quickly and the older a player is the more suddenly it can happen.

Then again he's still easily among their best. Providing there's no injuries it's easy to see him play to the end of 2017. If he's still playing at a reasonable standard and makes it to 2018 that'll put him at around 475 and North may well try and carry him through to 500 so long as he hasn't dropped massively below AFL standards. Don't think it'll happen though, maybe like a 15% chance.

I think 500 is beyond even Harvey, but you'd have to think 450 is a possibility. But I thought 400 games was beyond him a few seasons ago when he was closing in on Archer's games record, he just seems to defy all the general rules on age and ability so what do I know.
What's been truly amazing is that for close to 20 seasons he has averaged over 20ppg and more than a goal a game. Amazing athlete and footballer.

I reckon the end for him may come in a pinch.

tmpYz9Bi0.jpg

He is a soft tissue injury from it all catching up with him but still looks a million bucks out there. Ultra competitive and ultra professional he will do everthing he can to stay at close to 100%. Blessed with good genes too. I think his old fella was still playing footy well into his 40's and cricket into his 60's.

Id say 450 is a strong possibility but 500 is not.

I doubt he'll get to 500 but 450 is possible if he played this year and next year injury free and kept his form.

Forget about his age and the hate; right now, on his current output he would be best 22 in any team in the league.
He would easily be best 22 at any club. Still averaging 23 possies and a goal a game, been waiting for him to slow down but just doesn't look like it's going to happen.

Small possibility because he's a freak, but highly unlikely. Good luck to the little s**t! Kind of mean that in an endearing way, as I respect him but don't like him when we play him (which is the mark of a pest who can be very dangerous on the field).

It will be the club that taps him on the shoulder probably a year earlier than he would like

Back