Preview Carlton vs Melbourne: A Historical Perspective

Remove this Banner Ad

Those 3 How did we stuff that up, horror finals in 1988, 94 & 2000.

Was behind the goals in '88, still reckon the Melbourne goal in the last that sealed it, hit the post halfway up, veered 2 feet, and the goal umpire missed it. :eek:
Should never have lost the one in 2000. 21 points in front at 3/4 time, we were clearly the better team, but Brad Green got among the goals in the last quarter & they run over the top of us. We had 27 scoring shots to 21 & still lost.

One of my favorite memories comes from Round 7, 1984. We trailed by 41 points at half time (4.6.30 - 11.5.71), but on the back of a 7 goal second half from Warren Ralph we ended up winning by 17 points (18.14.122 - 16.9.105). I remember going from not wanting to be there to feeling total elation in the space of half a game.

Final in 2000 stands out like a beacon.

And the final game at Princes Park, when David Neitz felt like hogging the limelight after the game with his speech.
We were a fair way behind in that game, and came home with a wet sail in the final quarter.
I remember Nick Stevens hurling the footy into the ground when the final siren went. If that game had've
gone for a few more minutes, I reckon we would have pinched it.

I remember sitting at the 2000 final and watching David Schwarz run into an open goal and holding the ball above his head when they were rolling thinking geez I hope we come back and stick it right up his clacker.:mad:

The incident seem to spark us into action as we kicked the next few goals and built what should of been a match winning lead despite missing a couple of easy ones to stretch our lead further.

Was gutted after the game when they ran over us....:(

Was also at the game in 1990 when we trailed by 55 points in the 3rd quarter and stormed back to lose by a goal, Brent Heaver debuted for Melbourne that day and kicked 5 goals, Sticks and Nails kicked 5 each for us.

1988 Prelim gives me nightmares also, was at the game in rd 22 that year when they beat us and then we came out and flogged the Pies in the Qualifying final before losing to the Hawks in the 2nd semi to set up a Preliminary final with Melbourne.

Couldn't go to this game but remember listening on the radio and nearly smashing it when Garry Lyon kicked a goal from the centre of VFL Park, huge wind advantage to one end as usual and we missed out on our 3rd consecutive grand final appearance.

Lost to them 3 times in 88:eek:

Round 14 '03 The game Waite played after losing Vin the day before. I remember Jarrad roosting one through from outside 50. Got a bit choked up after that and thought there would be no way we'd lose from there.

The one memory that keeps coming to mind is Round 1, 2006 - Marc Murphy's debut game, we had finished last the year before and Melbourne had made finals IIRC.

Etihad Stadium... Fevola got into it with Matty Wheelan, and kicked 5, Waite was awesome also.... that was also the last time we had a season opener with a side other than Richmond.

Round 14 '03 The game Waite played after losing Vin the day before. I remember Jarrad roosting one through from outside 50. Got a bit choked up after that and thought there would be no way we'd lose from there.
I think most Carlton supporters at the ground teared up a bit when Jarrad kicked that goal. The reaction from the players was really good. They all got around him after he kicked the goal. As you have stated, once he kicked the goal I thought nothing would stop us from winning. Unfortunately it didn't happen, despite us taking a 26 point lead into the final quarter.

Not much stands out for me vs the Dees.
Except the 'bruise free' comments getting taken out of context.

Went out with a girl for a while who was a Melbourne supporter. Went to the game in 09 where we beat them by a fair bit. I've never been big on wearing Carlton stuff to the footy, but she was all decked out in Melbourne gear. Walking back to the train station, a car load of Carlton supporting blokes started hanging s**t on me as they drove out of the ground. To this day I wish I could explain the situation to them :(

1989 win by blues vs Dees at Princes Park during our revival after Walls was sacked. Melbourne was our nemesis and second on the ladder but a brilliant first quarter by the blues set up the win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was a bit before my time... about 4 years before I was old enough... but 1965 was the start of something special which eventually sealed my fate as a Blues supporter.

And really something that Melbourne supporters hated us for a bloody long time over!

Pinching Brass Arse from Melbourne to come and be our captain coach and lead us to glory in 68 and that all time great grand final in 71!

The tears of the old time dees supporters were champagne in those days :)

Went to the game last year and my little fella got to play on the ground at half time. He was featured at the break in the TV coverage as well.

He was also shown playing cricket in the background of the boxing day test while they were interviewing Warnie a couple of months earlier.

Now he has played both footy and cricket on the 'G before he is 9 years old.

Doesn't get better than that.

Was a bit before my time... about 4 years before I was old enough... but 1965 was the start of something special which eventually sealed my fate as a Blues supporter.

And really something that Melbourne supporters hated us for a bloody long time over!

Pinching Brass Arse from Melbourne to come and be our captain coach and lead us to glory in 68 and that all time great grand final in 70

EFA

Watching Open Mike last night and heard David Schwarz say that he was as nervous as he has ever been before and during a game in the 94 Qualifying Final.

He tore us apart with 4 goals that day, also mentioned that morning he had Police knock on his door that morning chasing him for warrants/unpaid fines, if only they had locked him up for the day.....:p

Not directly a Carl v Melb memory, but wanted to share a youtube link.

It was made by a buddy of mine who is a Melbourne supporter. I loved Fev and was heartbroken when he ended up on 99 goals, but my mate's video is still hilarious....

Also, a workmate sent me a great article about Jezza's 100th. Mate is a Melbourne supporter and is the son of the umpire in question!

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/tea...ist-by-an-umpire/story-e6frf9k6-1225765009666

Wasn't old emough to remember anything (about anything) in 1988, but I hear the calls on 1994 and 2000. The 1993 was the first year I followed the footy at all, remember bawling my eyes out when we lost to the Scum, still have a passionate hatred for them to this day as a result.

But in 1994 I went to the footy full of childlike optimism from the start of the year, expecting the team to atone for the previous year. I have never been as let down as the day we lost to Melbourne in that qualifying final after finishing a clear second on the ladder behind West Coast.

2000 just downright ******* pissed me off.

At5EN7PCAAIAHMJ.jpg:large

Remove this Banner Ad

Back