Resource Cats on TV and radio

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well he is a premiership coach...

He's not real flexible on gameday and we lack a plan B, but, like players, coaches develop.

He's not perfect but he's a damn good coach imo.
Think you'll find Biggy is from the Chapman push. Consequently he/she will never give any credit to our premiership coach. The same coach who came within a bees diaphragm of a of a second GF. The same coach hasn't missed a final series in around 4 years. The same coach who has a win/loss record 10% better than his nearest AFL rival.

So don't bother.;)

It was perhaps remiss of me to say he doesn't have a plan B, I should correct it by saying he doesn't have an effective plan B.

The issue with the cattle is a tough one, perhaps if Scotty's game plan is not suited for our personnel...he should adapt?

You can lead a cow to water, but you can't make it drink.

We have an excellent coaching staff and they need to do some soul searching as do our players.

Yep to all.
I wonder if the coaches have a gameplan setup for what the younger guys COULD do, not what they CAN do.
Clearly there are structure issues but as you said, if there are personal restrictions then why isn't it factored into the gamestyle (presuming its not of course).

Think you'll find Biggy is from the Chapman push. Consequently he/she will never give any credit to our premiership coach. The same coach who came within a bees diaphragm of a of a second GF. The same coach hasn't missed a final series in around 4 years. The same coach who has a win/loss record 10% better than his nearest AFL rival.

So don't bother.;)

Thanks for the heads up!

I got the picture, hence the deal with it:cry:

I can understand where scott is coming from on this but at times you have to stem the bleeding and then reload.. 8 goals in a row to the suns and its game over, 4 or 5 in a row and we r still only two goals down and can reload for another crack as the momentum shifts. We dont seem to be playing tempo footy at all, probably a by product of the amount of youth we have in the team atm
I'm not saying it should be a set in stone policy that you have to employ every time we fall behind, but as a general rule I like it... It sends the message 'we will never give up'

Yep to all.
I wonder if the coaches have a gameplan setup for what the younger guys COULD do, not what they CAN do.
Clearly there are structure issues but as you said, if there are personal restrictions then why isn't it factored into the gamestyle (presuming its not of course).

Scotty and the coaching staff seem to be copping the brunt of criticism that should be levelled at the MC imo, that said, Scotty has been in the hot seat long enough to put his foot down if it's needed (and it's needed at the moment)

Structurally we're too top heavy and physically we're too flat footed, we're playing guys out of position and/or guys that shouldn't even be in the AFL system by the looks of it.

It's great we're giving the young guys a chance, but are they the right prospects we should be playing at this point?

I agree with your point that our MC and coaching staff seem to be getting confused between certain player's ambition and capabilities.

You would have to be a blind man to not see the potential that Smedts has, but you'd also have to be blind not to see how limited he is at this point, how much do you persist with him? Thurlow looks much more likely and is a natural defender.

Walker wouldn't get a game for Brisbane at this point, how he gets games with us is just beyond me.

So don't bother.;)
I found myself agreeing/siding with him in a thread on the suns board :oops: so he's not unreasonable all the time just when the topic is about 'he who must not be named'

I'm not saying it should be a set in stone policy that you have to employ every time we fall behind, but as a general rule I like it... It sends the message 'we will never give up'

I like it too but we need to be able to stop the rot somehow!

Good to see another Tottenham Hotspur fan on the Geelong Board!

I like it too but we need to be able to stop the rot somehow!

Good to see another Tottenham Hotspur fan on the Geelong Board!
First sentence I agree. Last game a good example

As for spurs, whether we make top 4 next season... Is yet to be determined... Pushing s**t uphill I fear... Especially now that United have got Van Gaal and given him £200m + to spend... They will surely bounce right back into the 4...probably at the expense of the gunners (fingers crossed).... It is simple for us... Tighten up at the back (bring in CB and LB) and somehow hold onto Lloris. Hope we have a good year:thumbsu:

First sentence I agree. Last game a good example

As for spurs, whether we make top 4 next season... Is yet to be determined... Pushing s**t uphill I fear... Especially now that United have got Van Gaal and given him £200m + to spend... They will surely bounce right back into the 4...probably at the expense of the gunners (fingers crossed).... It is simple for us... Tighten up at the back (bring in CB and LB) and somehow hold onto Lloris. Hope we have a good year:thumbsu:

An overlooked fact of our dominant teams is that we were dominant defensively, we may have played "pretty" football but everything started from the back.

Obviously we've lost the GFBOAT but we also lost the attitude he embodied, it would seem.

I think we could crack top 4 next season with the mighty Spurs, spending 110m on dross didn't help us, I expect Lamela to put in a strong season after adjusting and Erikson is class, Paulinho and Sandro in the middle will have us with the best engine room in the league imo.

I'd sell Soldado for a pound at this point.

Sorry for the OT everyone.

Scotty and the coaching staff seem to be copping the brunt of criticism that should be levelled at the MC imo, that said, Scotty has been in the hot seat long enough to put his foot down if it's needed (and it's needed at the moment)

Structurally we're too top heavy and physically we're too flat footed, we're playing guys out of position and/or guys that shouldn't even be in the AFL system by the looks of it.

It's great we're giving the young guys a chance, but are they the right prospects we should be playing at this point?

I agree with your point that our MC and coaching staff seem to be getting confused between certain player's ambition and capabilities.

You would have to be a blind man to not see the potential that Smedts has, but you'd also have to be blind not to see how limited he is at this point, how much do you persist with him? Thurlow looks much more likely and is a natural defender.

Walker wouldn't get a game for Brisbane at this point, how he gets games with us is just beyond me.
It may be CS's aim right now. Test out what Walker, Smedts etc can offer us, then make some big decisions at the end of the season. This is not trial and error, but likely strategic. Some have to be given game time to make or break them. Walker may have done his chances some damage last Saturday.

It may be CS's aim right now. Test out what Walker, Smedts etc can offer us, then make some big decisions at the end of the season. This is not trial and error, but likely strategic. Some have to be given game time to make or break them. Walker may have done his chances some damage last Saturday.

I cannot remember Walker having any impact at all, in any game he's ever played for us, at what point is enough, enough?

Smedts would be great to force development into, I just feel that we should actually play him in his correct position to gauge where he's at.

What's Voldemort got to do with this?
It's my new name for uncle Pauly as, on this board it is the former #35, who a mere mention of his name causes some to have a hissy fit:rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I cannot remember Walker having any impact at all, in any game he's ever played for us, at what point is enough, enough?

Smedts would be great to force development into, I just feel that we should actually play him in his correct position to gauge where he's at.
Walker was going OK in the Port game, I thought- was subbed off in the 3rd Q but had kicked 2 goals up till that stage.

Smedts might be getting stuck in the backline to stop him from continuing some bad habits he's been using in the forward line or maybe to improve his defensive game. Who knows? Hopefully the MC will decide that enough is enough very soon and, as you said, play him in his 'correct postion'

Walker was going OK in the Port game, I thought- was subbed off in the 3rd Q but had kicked 2 goals up till that stage.

Smedts might be getting stuck in the backline to stop him from continuing some bad habits he's been using in the forward line or maybe to improve his defensive game. Who knows? Hopefully the MC will decide that enough is enough very soon and, as you said, play him in his 'correct postion'

Smedts is more of a silk player than sandpaper, he's just far too soft and flashy to play in the backline, it may help with his workrate issues though but so would tough love tbh.

"Billie, shape up or we're trading you to Brisbane" should do the trick.

Smedts reminds me a lot of young Mackie, but Mackie despite his early "soft" label has always had that grit to his game, Smedts, definitely not.

I forgot Walker wasn't invisible against Port, but still does not inspire confidence.

Obviously our health has made Walker and Smedts more attractive propositions than they would have been under normal circumstances.

Chris Scott is on Footy Classified now (11:20 Perth time) explaining away Christensen's concussion and his return to the field as being out of his (Scott's) hands. He said that the club doctors put their integrity on the line, and that he trusts their judgement. What a load of bullshit. Blind Freddy could see Christensen was out. And given he has a history of concussions, this breach of a duty of care to Christensen was astounding.

Chris Scott is on Footy Classified now (11:20 Perth time) explaining away Christensen's concussion and his return to the field as being out of his (Scott's) hands. He said that the club doctors put their integrity on the line, and that he trusts their judgement. What a load of bullshit. Blind Freddy could see Christensen was out. And given he has a history of concussions, this breach of a duty of care to Christensen was astounding.

As always, it was the doctors call.

As always, it was the doctors call.
It's not the doctor's call when you (Scott) can clearly see the replay footage and he KNOWS Christensen's concussion history. This is the old school turn-a-blind-eye practice. Scott didn't even have the balls to admit he MIGHT have made a mistake.

It's not the doctor's call when you (Scott) can clearly see the replay footage and he KNOWS Christensen's concussion history. This is the old school turn-a-blind-eye practice. Scott didn't even have the balls to admit he MIGHT have made a mistake.

Still the medical professionals call.

This isn't EFC where our coach tells the doctor what he's going to do.

Smedts is more of a silk player than sandpaper, he's just far too soft and flashy to play in the backline, it may help with his workrate issues though but so would tough love tbh.

"Billie, shape up or we're trading you to Brisbane" should do the trick.

Smedts reminds me a lot of young Mackie, but Mackie despite his early "soft" label has always had that grit to his game, Smedts, definitely not.

I forgot Walker wasn't invisible against Port, but still does not inspire confidence.

Obviously our health has made Walker and Smedts more attractive propositions than they would have been under normal circumstances.
Do you mean that we're pretty much grabbing from bottom of the barrel? Or are you just saying that they are the next cab in line and only get picked because the other cabs have already left? I think these two boys would get games at quite a few other clubs. I hate to let players go after the club has put years of training into them and I think the club will probably persevere a bit longer with both. Right now they're probably not worth a lot to other clubs so they might as well stay where they are.

In Walker, I see a bit of a young Tomahawk- but with twice the attacking mentality. I remember all the hype years ago, about how good Hawkins was - how he was so strong at training and what a great player he was - but all I saw when he first started out was the ball bouncing off his chest (he had to grab the ball close to his chest with both arms to stop it popping back up!) and how quickly he ran out of puff- he was stuffed 10 minutes into the game and couldn't even run out a quarter. It took years for him to get the confidence in himself and his ability to rag doll his opponents, and it wasn't really until the 2011 GF that he took a game by the scruff of the neck. In his 5th year of playing seniors and close to his 80th game. It wasn't until that GF that the experiments with Hawkins in the ruck pretty much stopped dead. Walker has played 14 senior games in 3 years. I hope that he continues to get games, so we can see what he is capable of at this level, after 50 games- and perhaps he will become a 100 gamer.

I am hoping- and it may only be for sentiment's sake, i.e. because of young JW's family ties to the great GFC- that Josh can develop into a player with even half of the talent of Tomahawk. Our 2007-2011 team was made up of players other than brilliant stars- we had a few 'average' players who always looked better surrounded by unselfish stars who brought them into the game. Josh might just be a "meat and gravy" sort of player but I think he needs to be given a chance.

Still the medical professionals call.

This isn't EFC where our coach tells the doctor what he's going to do.
You're missing the point, Pack. Scott decides who goes onto the ground. If a doctor reports something that doesn't sit well with Scott, Scott makes the call about using the player. If Christensen was my son, I'd be kicking Scott in the nuts, to say it straight.

Do you mean that we're pretty much grabbing from bottom of the barrel? Or are you just saying that they are the next cab in line and only get picked because the other cabs have already left? I think these two boys would get games at quite a few other clubs. I hate to let players go after the club has put years of training into them and I think the club will probably persevere a bit longer with both. Right now they're probably not worth a lot to other clubs so they might as well stay where they are.

In Walker, I see a bit of a young Tomahawk- but with twice the attacking mentality. I remember all the hype years ago, about how good Hawkins was - how he was so strong at training and what a great player he was - but all I saw when he first started out was the ball bouncing off his chest (he had to grab the ball close to his chest with both arms to stop it popping back up!) and how quickly he ran out of puff- he was stuffed 10 minutes into the game and couldn't even run out a quarter. It took years for him to get the confidence in himself and his ability to rag doll his opponents, and it wasn't really until the 2011 GF that he took a game by the scruff of the neck. In his 5th year of playing seniors and close to his 80th game. It wasn't until that GF that the experiments with Hawkins in the ruck pretty much stopped dead. Walker has played 14 senior games in 3 years. I hope that he continues to get games, so we can see what he is capable of at this level, after 50 games- and perhaps he will become a 100 gamer.

I am hoping- and it may only be for sentiment's sake, i.e. because of young JW's family ties to the great GFC- that Josh can develop into a player with even half of the talent of Tomahawk. Our 2007-2011 team was made up of players other than brilliant stars- we had a few 'average' players who always looked better surrounded by unselfish stars who brought them into the game. Josh might just be a "meat and gravy" sort of player but I think he needs to be given a chance.

Excellent post.

What I meant was (and in particular with Walker) is that if we hadn't had so many injuries, both Walker and Smedts wouldn't have gotten this many games early. They've both played "only" 4 games a piece, but were they on merit or just because we lack the cattle required?

If Vardy was healthy and Kersten healthy all season, Walker would not have played a single game imo.

Smedts was a talented junior who has obviously lost development time with his bad luck with injuries, that said, now is the time he has to start showing something to justify playing him over the likes of Bews and Thurlow, who have had less opportunity but have looked more impressive imo.

If my memory serves me correct, Hawk kicked 4 goals in his debut whilst looking better than Walker ever has.

I know he's Peter Walker's grandson, but now is not the time for nostalgia imo.

You're missing the point, Pack. Scott decides who goes onto the ground. If a doctor reports something that doesn't sit well with Scott, Scott makes the call about using the player. If Christensen was my son, I'd be kicking Scott in the nuts, to say it straight.

I concede you make an excellent point, safety is paramount!

I never said that we, as a club didn't stuff up, I just put it more onto the doctor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back