Opinion Change the Club Song. It's time.

Remove this Banner Ad

I've tried to convince myself otherwise, but I just can't do it anymore. It's time to face facts; our club song is s**t.

It's 90s, it's poppy, there's no decent hook, and it's impossible for 22 men to sing without sounding cringeworthy.

So why don't we change it?

10 years ago we had a confused 90s guernsey. Along came a 7 year-old girl who designs the V-guernsey, we make the switch and we now enjoy watching the Port boys run around every week in the best jumper in the AFL. I'm sure with the collective creative might on here we could pretty easily come up with an adapted song from an existing international club, or even a new anthem entirely; it'll be weird to begin with, but once it's been belted after a couple of gutsy wins it'll be part of the furniture.

But seriously, no.

Every sports song is impossible for 22 men to sing without sounding cringeworthy, so unless we change the song to a 4 minute rock staple and get a live band to play over the top, there's no alternative.

But seriously, no.

Every sports song is impossible for 22 men to sing without sounding cringeworthy, so unless we change the song to a 4 minute rock staple and get a live band to play over the top, there's no alternative.
Disagree. As much as it pains me to admit, Richmond's sounds amazing; the Dogs' is great too. It's something which their fans genuinely look forward to hearing- our players look embarrassed at times singing ours and I don't blame them.

And the thing is, we had a great song, for 40 years- Cheer, Cheer. Sure we stole it from South Melbourne, who in turn stole it from someone who stole it from the French. Is there a rule saying two clubs can't have the same song?

If you want an example of a successful rebrand, look to Fremantle. Drastically changed their club colours and guernsey, with the dual chevron and strong emphasis on the dark purple, less on their "Dockers" moniker. Tweaked their club song in 2011 (from memory they even looked at changing this too, although didn't go ahead with it for whatever reason). Changing a club song is not unprecedented at all, as our Camry loving Crow brothers will attest to.

I'll always have a soft spot for the song, we sang it after winning our 37th flag. But it's outdated.

We're talkin' Power
Firle to the Peninsula
Talkin' Power
Something something Nathan Steinbernah

Dean Brogan's grotesquely swollen jaw
Dean Brogan and his run-in with the law
We're talkin' Power...
Barry Curtain and Drew Moore

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We're talkin' Power
Firle to the Peninsula
Talkin' Power
Something something Nathan Steinbernah

Dean Brogan's grotesquely swollen jaw
Dean Brogan and his run-in with the law
We're talkin' Power...
Barry Curtain and Drew Moore
This is the clubhouse leader so far

Disagree. As much as it pains me to admit, Richmond's sounds amazing; the Dogs' is great too. It's something which their fans genuinely look forward to hearing- our players look embarrassed at times singing ours and I don't blame them.

And the thing is, we had a great song, for 40 years- Cheer, Cheer. Sure we stole it from South Melbourne, who in turn stole it from someone who stole it from the French. Is there a rule saying two clubs can't have the same song?

If you want an example of a successful rebrand, look to Fremantle. Drastically changed their club colours and guernsey, with the dual chevron and strong emphasis on the dark purple, less on their "Dockers" moniker. Tweaked their club song in 2011 (from memory they even looked at changing this too, although didn't go ahead with it for whatever reason). Changing a club song is not unprecedented at all, as our Camry loving Crow brothers will attest to.

I'll always have a soft spot for the song, we sang it after winning our 37th flag. But it's outdated.
Richmonds is so overrated, it's childish as hell.
Ours is actually unique and not some dance hall ditty from the 20's.

Richmond sounds just as bad when the players sing it flat, and the dogs is ******* slow and shithouse at the best of times.

Don't Sturt and Norwood have the same song?

I went over the Fremantle rebranding the other night and I'm not going over it again, but on the song, the members voted against a change given the alternatives, they did vote for a slight change on the original song. More poppy and traditional sound with horns and brass sections, less guitars and drums.

Gay.

No it isn't. Maybe we should sing the full thing for a change?

Where the hell did this thread come from. Our song is a bloody good song to sing to and as time goes by its only getting better.

Fav part is after the third verse when there's the change in beat and the crowd always loses the clapping rhythm.

I (and everyone around me) always gets lost at:

"With our tradition so strong
We can't go wrong
We're the Alberton crowd
Port Adelaide proud"

And instead, start singing:

"And the heroes are those
Who've earned the right
To wear the silver - teal..."

It's like:

We've got the Power to win
We'll never give in
Til the flag is ours for the taking
POWER

And the heroes are those...terrmerrer...errreereeederrr...can't go wrong, we're the Alberton crowd

Remove this Banner Ad

Back