Changes against the Dons

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeh, bomb it long to Edwards one out with big Mal on him, i wonder who will win that contested mark?
By the way, you guys will probably win, 20points id say.
He's plays on the lead mate.

Also, you'll be short a FF and so will we, which is lucky, because Thomo has no bigger bunny's in the game than Fletcher and Michael.

Doesnt play on those types.

Plays on the big bodied forwards like Gehrig, Rocca etc. Will probably get the job on Edwards.

No chance. Edwards would blow him up 10 minutes in. The bloke covers mental amounts of turf. Michael will have a nice easy return to form by playing on Leigh Brown. Mal can rest easy this week.

OUT: Brown, Watt, Adams
IN: Hale, Trotter, Thomas.

Given they are all fit and ready to go I would seriously LOVE these changes and would be completely content with our team vs the Dons.

It's obvious this is what should be done.

Dont Think they'd play Fletch on him and i doubt Ryder will go to him so perhaps Mcphee? but after yesterday im guessing he'll just want him to do what he does bet and thats run off and create for us.

Dont Think they'd play Fletch on him and i doubt Ryder will go to him so perhaps Mcphee? but after yesterday im guessing he'll just want him to do what he does bet and thats run off and create for us.

i think ryder would be the best mach-up for edwards, in terms of athleticism anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Hale is fit, he could be very useful. He's had good performances against Essendon over recent years, and can be hard to match up. If he plays forward, it may force a taller defender such as Fletcher to take him.

It also gives McIntosh a rest, and Petrie can play either end and not ruck.

Fletcher is a dangerous player and can rack up a lot of uncontested possesion if our forward entry is too relient on bombing it long (eg Simmo helicopter kicks). I'd be happy to use Hale as a decoy type forward to drag him away from the play. It could open things up for Edwards, and the 2nd tall forward.

I don't think we can line up with Hale/Brown/Petrie in the forward line at the same time. Grant/Campbell/Edwards/Jones/Harvey are our true goal scorers. The others just have to create a contest.

I hope we don't go in too tall. Who are the Essendon players we should worry about?
Assuming Lloyd is out (Dr Peter Bruckner said tonight on SEN he thought 1 more week) Lucas, McVeigh, Davey, Stanton (killed us last time), Fletcher and Lovett may worry us.

Essendon are a lot quicker this year. However their disposal can still be ordinary, and they do seem to fade after half time. I worry about their quick players. They do have quite a few players I don't rate at all, I think the players ranked 15-22 in their side are miles behind our 15-22nd best. We have to be wary, especially if our intensity drops off, and when we are going into the game as favourites.

Don't mean to go on about it, but the next two/three weeks (depending on Melbourne's injuries) I cannot see any pressing match-ups for Watty.

Isn't this the perfect time to throw a running defender who can use it into the backline or perhaps even another midfielder?

I am thinking Trotter, Riggio or McConnell.

Based on matchups Watt will most likely be needed vs West Coast, so send him back and tell him to dominate the VFL and show he has the awareness a skills to use the footy consistently, and at same time you tell one of the guys above that they have two weeks to show they can make our team better. Two weeks, then Watt is back and unless you have been good you will be out.

Pity Trotter and Riggio didn't get in the best players this week.

^ I was watching Dmac at training.

He's seriously built, a big big lad, and was showing no real signs of any injury or otherwise. Didn't come in for special attention like Hale, Harding or Urch.

So, I'm begining to think it was just a matter or finding some form for NB and we'll slot him in where he fits.

That said, Laidley won't be dropping Watt.

oh come on, he's 12kg heavier + 6cm taller, and bet rocca in contested marking situations when they played on each other. (rocca leads contested marks btw).

You're missing the point. Edwards would run him ragged. In fact I can't think of one person on our current forward line that Michael could keep up with. Last year while at Brisbane he got killed on the lead by Thommo, and he isn't even that fast.

^ I was watching Dmac at training.

He's seriously built, a big big lad, and was showing no real signs of any injury or otherwise. Didn't come in for special attention like Hale, Harding or Urch.

So, I'm begining to think it was just a matter or finding some form for NB and we'll slot him in where he fits.

He has been in thebest two or three times already hasn't he?
I have faith in D-Mac.

That said, Laidley won't be dropping Watt.

Probably not, but you can see where I am coming from can't you?

Forget the Sheedy hype, the Dons still have a soft, white underbelly, ripe for slicing open.

Colourful comment that evokes graphic violent imagery of the TD set up as a Roman Colloseum for a Gladitorial Clash, who's going to play Russel Crowe?

BTW Shinners judging by your avatar you could jump the fence and do the job yourself :cool:

Watt would be stiff, as he has done his job in every week except round 1, but I don't mind rotating the side if there is no obvious match up.

Hale has to replace Brown. Release Petrie to the back half again, gives Hamish more able support. Gets rid of Brown. No brainer I reckon.

I can't see Drew going anywhere at least until round 11 - regardless of Hale being in the team - unless Spud and Gibbo are getting pumped and we need to try something else.

I agree Zeb, but it won't happen, and I agree with NB too that Watt would be massively stiff.

Hale looked fit enough last week and I can't see us bringing him in through NB, so Brown just might actually get a gig at Tassie this week.

I'll add - if we still had Ben Schwarze, I wouldn't be against picking him and giving him free license to take off whenever he got the pill.

Out - Adams
In - Thomas

Essendon's, defence is tall and slow. Micheal, Fletcher, Mcphee, Bolton etc. Id say go small and run them off their legs....can see shagga, boomer, campbell and Thomas giving them nightmares...then you have the overhead marking of Edwards, Jones, Petrie and Brown......well Edwards Jones and Petrie at least!

Watt would be stiff, as he has done his job in every week except round 1, but I don't mind rotating the side if there is no obvious match up.

Hale has to replace Brown. Release Petrie to the back half again, gives Hamish more able support. Gets rid of Brown. No brainer I reckon.

In all seriousness, Watt will get dropped before Br*** and we all know it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back