Unofficial Preview Changes/prematch discussion vs Hawthorn (Out: Frog/In: JMac)

Remove this Banner Ad

Turner will most likely be dropped but Boomer doesn't provide the same forward pressure as Nahas. Would love to see Boomer and Nahas both forward all game.
Yeah, Wood or Basti could sub it instead.

If Hansen comes in Spud is the obvious one to go out as they play a similar role.

But I'd much rather have Spud than McDonald or McMillan in the back half. His run this year has been important.
They won't be dropping Spud in a hurry. What was seen to be a weakness this year, our defense is starting to look very composed.

I recon Atley started as a mid yesterday, but their defense in the first quarter blocked our running game (IMO the reason why we looked so poor, oh plus our horrible kicking).
I hope atley sorts his s**t out with his kicking, then follow boomer around at training.... could be a star

I recon Atley started as a mid yesterday, but their defense in the first quarter blocked our running game (IMO the reason why we looked so poor, oh plus our horrible kicking).
Didn't he play a fair bit on the utensil who was a high half forward? It's hard to tell on TV.

Gibson stays for mine, his run will be crucial on what will be a fast game. I'm sure last year we played a shut down role on Isaac Smith which really negated their run. Bastinac was used for this for memory. Could look at doing this again as Smith was a catalyst in there come back against Port.
Yes, and/but Rioli and Hill missed iirc, so we only needed to shut down one runner, which made a significant difference.

Wasn't Ben Jacobs an emergency? Which North Melbourne player was a late withdrawal from the Cats game? Spitta2Azza I think Robbie Tarrant should be in your team of the week for Round 4. He was very good down back.

Really looking forward to this game. Both teams sitting 2-2 and this game could have massive ramifications for both sides. I'm never confident when it comes to playing North Melbourne, especially at Etihad where they've matched up well against us in the past. We will be missing a host of key players with injury and we will also be very short down back minus key defenders in Lake, Frawley and Spangher. If this was at the G I'd give us a good chance but we tend to play poorly at Etihad and North on the other hand play very well at that venue.

Possible team changes

IN: Schoenmakers, Shiels/Anderson
OUT: Lake (injured) Puopolo (injured)
drew petrie does not like this

In: Wells
Out: Turner

Boomer moves to the forward line
Hansen - not match fit after just 3 quarters in the VFL
McDonald/ MacMillan - agree that both are better players than Jacobs, but neither have played consistently better than Jacob's last two weeks. LMac can come in for Bastinac and MacMillan can prove himself in the VFL.

IN: Wells
McDonald

OUT: Higgins
Turner

I know they won't drop Higgins but he is missing easy goals and doesn't seem to run and linkup.

Loogie and JMac through the VFL this week.

Will Wellsy even be ready?

If so, for Turner. Kayne needs to go back and start finding a bit more of it to continue his development.

Is LMac ready?

If so, I'd give Gibbo a spell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In: Wells
Out: Turner

Boomer moves to the forward line
Hansen - not match fit after just 3 quarters in the VFL
McDonald/ MacMillan - agree that both are better players than Jacobs, but neither have played consistently better than Jacob's last two weeks. LMac can come in for Bastinac and MacMillan can prove himself in the VFL.
Although i agree with this, I don't think MacMillan would be made to come back via VFL.
He's best 22 & leadership group now. Brad will have him straight back in if he's available.

We need our hardest, most assured team out there.

As good as Jacobs has been the last 2 weeks, if Wells is fit he must play given he is our best midfielder. Turner, despite being subbed off, still had a larger fantasy score than Gibbo.
I agree with the start there ATG, but to reference 'fantasy scores' kinda diminishes your argument somewhat.

That said, you must be pleased that Gibbo seems to be showing all his weaknesses at present - clangers in increasing number - and less of his strengths - uncontested, unpressured possession around the ground. I suspect Kardinia Park's dimensions didn't help, and he may be suffering from referred pressure with the absence of Wellsy and Dal, but geez he's stinking it up. I'm totally behind the 'let's drop Gibson' bandwagon. If I can make the call on Wellsy after Rd 1, I can certainly make it on Gibson after that performance. Stinking I tells ya.

And there is no way you can drop Dumont off that little cameo. Strong, skilful and the missing piece since Levi left.
Thanks for the reminder. We (Pykie in particular iirc) noted that we had a 'ready-made' midfield replacement in Froggy, and if his performances can come close to what we saw in his little cameo, an upgrade. Unfortunately he may need to have the stuttering in/out/sub/"will-he or won't-he play" selection blues that current day debutants suffer.

MacMillan is almost gone, Jacobs & Wright have gone past him.
Based on the last 2-3 games, yes they have. But it's an over-reaction to say that he's almost gone.

IN: Wells
McDonald

OUT: Higgins
Turner

I know they won't drop Higgins but he is missing easy goals and doesn't seem to run and linkup.

So u would drop higgins on the basis he missed a couple of goals! Then we wont field a team this week. Against Adel he was one of our best with 4 goals and has been in our best the last couple of weeks as well.

Stupid comment

What are everyones thoughts on Majak Daw? is he a contender? i know we've got a fairly well equipped forward line but does anyone see a future the big man? i damn well hope so, showed some great signs in the NAB challenge

What are everyones thoughts on Majak Daw? is he a contender? i know we've got a fairly well equipped forward line but does anyone see a future the big man? i damn well hope so, showed some great signs in the NAB challenge

I only see him getting games this year when Goldy is rested/ injured, as he is behind Brown, Black and Wood as a forward.

Putting off-field stuff to the side.

Next year we should be transitioning older players old and younger replacements in.

Maj probably needs another 8ish games this year.

I would be very interested to see how a forward line worked with Daw and Brown, Maj would have played more footy with him than any others in our current forward set up.

I think Wells will be right to play and we really miss his type of player at the centre stoppages at the minute. He is either good to go as a full time mid or not at all IMO. Harvey will replicate what Nahas has been doing at half forward and we can rotate he, Wood, Wells and Higgins through there. Nahas to come on in the third with defensive pressure, pace and evasiveness in the forward half could be ideal.
Harvey can't replicate what Nahas has been doing, as that would require laying a tackle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back