Preview Changes/Preview v Carlton @MCG – Semi Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
At what point does Goodwin consider going in with a proper small forward line next week? You've gotta imagine sitting there trying to decide who will be least ineffective out of Grundy/Tmac/Schache HAS to make you give consideration to going in with:

Kosi - Fritsch - Chandler
ANB - Petracca/Smith - Woewodin/Spargo

Pick that forwardline and tell them their job is to get 6 tackles each and we'll beat either Carlton or Sydney.
I agree 100%. I felt like we'd turned a corner at times this year with Goody actually trying some different looks around the ground, but Thursday felt like the same old s**t. Changing up the look of the forward line would be a real positive roll of the dice that gives us a shot at winning.

Amazing that T-Mac put in such a s**t performance that we'd consider dropping him when JVR is also out, but here we are.

IMO, bringing Grundy in would be a panicked move to just replace a tall with a tall. Truth we all know is that he's not a forward, plain and simple.

Also re the backline, the McKay injury makes things very interesting. Does that alone cost Tommo a run?

I agree 100%. I felt like we'd turned a corner at times this year with Goody actually trying some different looks around the ground, but Thursday felt like the same old s**t. Changing up the look of the forward line would be a real positive roll of the dice that gives us a shot at winning.

Amazing that T-Mac put in such a s**t performance that we'd consider dropping him when JVR is also out, but here we are.

IMO, bringing Grundy in would be a panicked move to just replace a tall with a tall. Truth we all know is that he's not a forward, plain and simple.

Also re the backline, the McKay injury makes things very interesting. Does that alone cost Tommo a run?

I think Tommo will be in the mix but I think with McKay in it was a necessity that he played and now it drops back to him being one of a number of options.

I’d be thinking now that if they play Motlop or another small then playing Tommo is unnecessary

What it will probs be:
OUT: Gus, JVR
IN: Jordon, Grundy

What we could try:
OUT: Gus, JVR, Laurie
IN: Jordon, Woewodin, Spargo

Trac forward for most of the game, smaller lineup forward, try Smith as the backup ruck - has the leap and mobility to give us something different. Rivers and Kozzy to get actual significant midfield time.

What it will probs be:

What we could try:

Trac forward for most of the game, smaller lineup forward, try Smith as the backup ruck - has the leap and mobility to give us something different. Rivers and Kozzy to get actual significant midfield time.
I’d like to see Rivers get a lot more of a midfield run. That way Petracca can remain forward.

Yeah, 2001. I think they lost to Brisbane week one and then hawthorn pipped them by a few points the week after. Hawthorn got very close to beating Essendon in the PF as well. Pretty sure Trent Croad hit the post with a few minutes to go.
Port were notorious in 01, 02, 03 with making top 4 and losing the first final but 01 was the only year they went out in straight sets and the first final was at tha gabba. The hawthorn game against essendon hawthorn supporters still blame the umpire goldspink?

Out: JVR, Brayshaw, Laurie
In: Turner, Woewodin, Spargo

Turner forward.

It's a real shame injuries have really curtailed our season but we chose not to address our forward line at last year's trade period so this is on us. It's been a problem for 2 years.

Last edited:
Yeah, 2001. I think they lost to Brisbane week one and then hawthorn pipped them by a few points the week after. Hawthorn got very close to beating Essendon in the PF as well. Pretty sure Trent Croad hit the post with a few minutes to go.
Right. So it's never happened. We'll be the first to do it shall we 🤣🤣

Port were notorious in 01, 02, 03 with making top 4 and losing the first final but 01 was the only year they went out in straight sets and the first final was at tha gabba. The hawthorn game against essendon hawthorn supporters still blame the umpire goldspink?
Hmmm, can’t recall what the umpire involvement was but Croad definitely hit the post.

Yep, Port were notorious.

01 - lost to Brisbane then Hawthotn
02 - loss QF to Collingwood then Brisbane in PF
03 - loss QF to Sydney then Collingwood in PF

In 2004 the Saints almost got them in the PF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hmmm, can’t recall what the umpire involvement was but Croad definitely hit the post.

Yep, Port were notorious.

01 - lost to Brisbane then Hawthotn
02 - loss QF to Collingwood then Brisbane in PF
03 - loss QF to Sydney then Collingwood in PF

In 2004 the Saints almost got them in the PF
I'm not talking about the poster but ask hawthorn supporters and they blame goldspink for some decisions that went against them.

It’d be really bad. Unfortunately we are a big chance for it to happen as well. Melbourne this year have Hawthorn 2018 vibes all over them with Carlton eerily similar to us that year.
Hawthorn 2018 was a team full of over the hill stars and overrated flash midfielder. Where’s the similarity?

This is going to be a stupid-tough game, not only because of our disrupted forward line. The afl 2023 storyline team will have all the neutrals, all the commentators and officiators on them. We are a better team, but the circumstances are tough

Hopefully we get another week of TMac standing there at the back of packs doing nothing. Super soft and adorable! :gigglev1:

With the added bonus of some ruck duties with JVR out.

What it will probs be:

What we could try:

Yeh don't mind the idea of bringing in both Jordon and Woewodin, we could do with more link up players who don't always hunt the ball

And I really hope we don't replace JVR with another tall, Smith is fine enough as the 2nd tall forward because he brings the ball to ground with his leap from anywhere

Hopefully we get another week of TMac standing there at the back of packs doing nothing. Super soft and adorable! :gigglev1:

With the added bonus of some ruck duties with JVR out.
if JVR wasn't suspended Tmac would surely be out, but if we were to out both Tmac and JVR , then it's either Grundy (who makes Gawn worse and neither are forwards) or Shache (now too late for trialling him again i think). disturbingly i'd have to stick with Tmac out of those 3.

Guess we could try Turner but surelly too big a risk to trial in an elimination final. Tmac should've kicked 2 (somehow) the other night, I feel like he is still good for 1-2 goals despite the complete loss of agility.

Tmac should've kicked 2 (somehow) the other night, I feel like he is still good for 1-2 goals despite the complete loss of agility.

I think hes a space clogger who makes everyone around him worse. Would much rather Schache and Turner as our talls. At least Schache can move and actually provide some ruck relief. Tom is an utter embarrassment as a relief ruckman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back