Prediction Changes: Round 9 vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Awesome place. We’ve got family there and in little grove…if I could’ve worked there we’d be living there now
yeah we're looking to move there sometime in the next few years. Looking after aging parents and other fun times up here (plus going to the footy, still a member for my sins) but that's the dream eventually.

Does Sydney have a point of difference? They have a good midfield but I don't see their forwardline/backline as being top four worthy. They are just a really well coached and drilled side similar to Brisbane last year. I rate us as a good chance of beating them if it doesn't get too wet.

Does Sydney have a point of difference? They have a good midfield but I don't see their forwardline/backline as being top four worthy. They are just a really well coached and drilled side similar to Brisbane last year. I rate us as a good chance of beating them if it doesn't get too wet.
Their point of difference is 3 goal kicking mids with 20 goals between Gulden, Heeney and Warner. Rest of it is good coaching and no weak links

We should be alright, our mids run both ways so they can keep them accountable. Just have to use JLos mantra and be strong in the contest.
I think it's the biggest coaching test for JL so far. I dont normally go on the outcoached thing but that shitfest last year where they kicked it 5 metres and moved it up the ground was an actual outcoaching.

They need a plan for it if it's dry and need to be prepared to play a bit differently if needed. We can match them in the middle and our defence can match them up forward but rit's one of the few times I think gameplan will be very important

Their point of difference is 3 goal kicking mids with 20 goals between Gulden, Heeney and Warner. Rest of it is good coaching and no weak links
I don't think Young, Brayshaw and Serong have anywhere near the goal kicking ability of the above 3 but I think our midfield scoring is also hindered by a lack of rotation into the forward line comparatively.

And also I'm pretty sure it's 30 goals.

I don't think Young, Brayshaw and Serong have anywhere near the goal kicking ability of the above 3 but I think our midfield scoring is also hindered by a lack of rotation into the forward line comparatively.

Young, Sharp and Banners are turning into consistent goal kickers. They have youth on their side to continue developing.

Sydney's three leading mids by CBA's have 27 Rebound 50s between them, ours have 47. Nearly double. Although as you say they have some of them rotating forward which we do not, to my mind it looks like Sydney are deliberately having their midfielders forward in certain circumstances (presumably on turnover) which comes with costs as well as benefits. Conversely ours are only coming forward naturally (I.E. when the play has rolled forward completely to our end).

I'd like to see us move towards a gameplan the involves a bit more risk in running forward on turnover from the mids and hhf's but I don't think it's ever going to result in Serong, Brayshaw or Fyfe kicking much more goals (the first two due to their playing style and offensive limitations and Fyfe cause he's not fit enough anymore and never will be). Young, Johnson and the outside mid brigade do, so ultimately it'd be good for them to be kicking goals.

Sydney's three leading mids by CBA's have 27 Rebound 50s between them, ours have 47. Nearly double. Although as you say they have some of them rotating forward which we do not, to my mind it looks like Sydney are deliberately having their midfielders forward in certain circumstances (presumably on turnover) which comes with costs as well as benefits. Conversely ours are only coming forward naturally (I.E. when the play has rolled forward completely to our end).

I'd like to see us move towards a gameplan the involves a bit more risk in running forward on turnover from the mids and hhf's but I don't think it's ever going to result in Serong, Brayshaw or Fyfe kicking much more goals (the first two due to their playing style and offensive limitations and Fyfe cause he's not fit enough anymore and never will be). Young, Johnson and the outside mid brigade do, so ultimately it'd be good for them to be kicking goals.

Could that be influenced by the grounds we have played on needing an extra kick to get to score, so their kick to the half back flank that gets bombed long is going direct to the forward marking just outside fifty?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could that be influenced by the grounds we have played on needing an extra kick to get to score, so their kick to the half back flank that gets bombed long is going direct to the forward marking just outside fifty?
That doesn't explain why the Sydney mids have had so many more opportunities to score. Sure they are broadly superior as forwards to ours, but not 4 times better!

That doesn't explain why the Sydney mids have had so many more opportunities to score. Sure they are broadly superior as forwards to ours, but not 4 times better!

If they are setting up in front of the forward target from the second kick out of defense, closer to their D50, then they will hit the front of that contest and drive forward so their next kick is a shot on goal.

Our mids set up in front of the forward too, but they start that ball movement in the middle of the field and their kick is towards the F50, not a shot at goal.

If we played how we currently do on a postage stamp our contest would be closer to goal and the short chain of handballs before the kick to the fifty would be a shot on goal too.

Our mids have the edge in winning the ball but theirs use it better so they don't need clearance superiority to get a result, especially in the wet.
If Parker comes in and they even the clearances it's hard to see us winning.

Our mids have the edge in winning the ball but theirs use it better so they don't need clearance superiority to get a result, especially in the wet.
If Parker comes in and they even the clearances it's hard to see us winning.
Well that's the point right there, we need to dominate the clearance if we're to have any chance of winning.

Thankfully we have the midfield to do just that, we're quite a bit bigger overall.

They play on the postage stamp that is the SCG. Their mids just run out of the centre & have a ping.
I reckon if GWS had played them on the MCG their superior outside run would see a different result.

Point of difference is they are top of the ladder, have only lost one game and are in the premiership conversation.

JLo saying Sonny will probably be sub this week or next. Makes sense coming off a 5 day break to make it this week

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I guess its like managing minutes but it can backfire I suppose if someone goes down early. Brisbane debuted a guy on the weekend who had been playing VFL the same day. Probably figured he'd only have to play a quarter or so towards the end of the game. Lucky they were playing Gold Coast who didn't seem interested in running the game out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back