Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Will be interesting to see if Coach Leppitsch only makes minimal changes i.e. Rockliff for ? but I saw enough last night that would justify making a few more, particularly those who clearly take their position for granted yet are continuously rewarded.

IN - Rockliff, Crisp, Lisle
OUT - Merrett, McStay, Paparone (all omitted)

If Beams is unavailable due to injury, then Raines to be brought in.

OUT
  • McStay - he came in for Redden, it is time we reverted to more grunt in the midfield given Golby came in for Rocky and played down back
  • Paparone - no impact as the sub last night and seems to struggle to find his role in the team. Perhaps that is the coaches fault because he has played some really good games this year.
  • Beams - came off as the sub and had ice on his knee. I would give him a rest.
IN
  • Rocky - obviously
  • Crisp - should finally be rewarded for fairly consistent good form in the reserves. Has been named as emergency for a lot of the season in the seniors and we need to find out now if he has what it takes to make it.
  • Raines - it probably won't happen but I am still a big wrap for him. His reserves form has been OK without setting the world on fire, but that doesn't mean much to me. He showed when he was in the senior team this year that he still has what it takes to lift us. The only question is do we actually want to try to win some more games this year or do we continue to put games into young players?
I wouldn't mind trying to find a place for Lisle in the team as well, but in my mind that would probably have to be at the expense of Close.

In the long term(two years) we need replacements for Goose and Joel so I think McStay is good enough to deserve as much time as we can give him to learn from them. I expect only Rocky for Beams. I would like Luey or Paine for Merret, but it will never happen

FYI - Maguire is only 6 months older than Merrett, so may as well throw him into that mix if you're wanting to provide a reasoned analysis.

All our defenders are aging. They could play on for another 4 years, or another 1, always hard to tell. It is why we must fast track the development of our defenders. Unfortunately i don't think we have a lot to bring in. McStay seems more a rebounding type for me, and Gardiner i think would be best taking Patfull's mantle as that 3rd defender, able to play tall or small. We have Clarke, which means we need 1 more decent size key defender. I really thought Goose would slow down this year, but he has done very well. I think Merrett will outlast him by a few seasons though, that leg injury has to slow him down at some stage.

If we do draft a KPF and they are able to play next year, it will be interesting to see what happens with Merrett.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think leppa has been pretty clear he sees Merritt as playing an important 'hard body' role up forward so can't see him being dropped.

Leueie didn't play reserves on the weekend as he had an Achilles niggle so not available and potentially shut down for the year now?

Re: the likes of lisle and crisp only worth playing them if leppa hasn't already put a line through them. None of us would know that but signs aren't good given form of seniors and their individual for I n reserves. I think lisle kicked another 3 or 4 on the weekend which makes it 3 weeks in a row I think so might get a run but unsure at whose expense think close will keep getting a run.

Close looked in trouble trying to get to a ruck contest last night in the last quarter.

Limping quite badly.

OUT
  • McStay - he came in for Redden, it is time we reverted to more grunt in the midfield given Golby came in for Rocky and played down back
  • Paparone - no impact as the sub last night and seems to struggle to find his role in the team. Perhaps that is the coaches fault because he has played some really good games this year.
  • Beams - came off as the sub and had ice on his knee. I would give him a rest.
He'll get his rest next week then be ready for the Suns the week after.

Leueie didn't play reserves on the weekend as he had an Achilles niggle so not available and potentially shut down for the year now?

I'm of the same thinking re: Leuey; hang the boots up for the year and get the body right for a big 2015 if his body will even allow for it.

I don't think you can judge paps on being the sub - isn't his super skill his endurance running? How can you exploit endurance running when you're a sub? can't understand why they would put him as the sub other than to send a stern message to him that his form isn't good enough? surely you want someone with elite sprint ability to play as a sub..

I don't think you can judge paps on being the sub - isn't his super skill his endurance running? How can you exploit endurance running when you're a sub? can't understand why they would put him as the sub other than to send a stern message to him that his form isn't good enough? surely you want someone with elite sprint ability to play as a sub..
Perhaps they gave him the sub vest so he could have a bit of a rest this week? It has been a massive season for Paps.

Perhaps they gave him the sub vest so he could have a bit of a rest this week? It has been a massive season for Paps.
He's dealing with a lot, played every game, prob a bit mentally and physically spent.
Home for a week with his family fresh for the game after the split round. The sub role probably part of the plan to give him a spell.

You'd have to think that if Lisle doesn't come in this week his all but done with us.

Heard Paine did ok in the two's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back