Fixture Changes VS Carlton Round 9 - The Liam Jones Cup

Remove this Banner Ad

How many changes do we make?

OUT: Treloar (INJ)
IN: McNeil / McLean

I don't think West has shown enough to be recalled. McComb is always a chance but not my preferred option.

Does Crozier return to the side after a solid VFL outing? If so, who makes way? I'm happy to keep Doc in the side as his cool head, leadership and experience outweighs Crozier in those areas.

There was a concern that Libba felt his hammy during the third qtr but there was no more talk of it and he played out the game so I'm assuming he's good to go.

Not inclined to make changes to the defensive end unless it costs us a game. Would think that Bruce eventually edges out Keath when he becomes available again.

Perhaps Cleary gets a run/sub, Dale up to wing, and Williams gets a look around stoppages or Macrae spends more time there....probably the latter. McSteal to the starting 22.

McLean looked like he needs a couple of decent runs in the twos before coming back again.

In: McNeil
Out: Treloar

I really enjoyed Bailey Smith’s game last night but we’ll need him to cover some centre bounce midfield minutes with Daniel for the next month.

Probably just McNeil for Treloar with Baz & Macrae taking the midfield time. Treloars been one of our best in there though it’s gonna be hard to cover - i really want to try a new rotation there with an inside focus, whether it’s someone new like West or someone from another position like Cody, Ed, Williams we probably need to do something.

Docs 2nd half was better but geez he’s not far off done IMO, he’s just not the player he was - slow and can’t keep his feet. Cleary is ready to go, I’m tempted to shake up the defence a bit, it’s the one line I’m still not comfortable with our mix currently

Of course, our second best mid gets injured the week before we play a team that has:

a) been obliterated/shat on/slam dunked on/criticised to hell the week before we play them
b) has the wood over us in recent years

I'm actually not sure who to bring in to replace him. Our pace in the centre is gone and I wouldn't say West is the answer. I'll be happy with a win, nothing else.

Unless there is another mystery injury we find out about on selection night pretty simple McNeil in for Trealor.

Run Weightman in the middle as he was pre season

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Out: Treloar
In: McComb

Need a hard, mature body to replace Treloar. McComb cracks in hard. What he lacks in skill he makes up with aggression and toughness.
Came here to post the same thing and then duck and run for cover.

Unfortunately, this is probably the direction I would go as well, IF Treloar's injury is relatively minor. I wish there was another option and McComb's weaknesses seriously frustrate me, but:
  1. We have a nice structure at the moment that is working well for us, I am not really keen to start bringing in intercept defenders (Cleary) or third tall forwards (Khamis) for Treloar and move extra magnets around. Structure > player for me atm.
  2. We really need to maintain our hardness around the ball. When that drops off, we let the opponent score far too easily. Treloar has been hugely important in maintaining this.
  3. I watched chunks of the VFL game yesterday, and McComb was the only similar player who looked in good form. West was also OK, but there is enough evidence now to know that the coaches are not going to play him in the middle - he's not even playing there at VFL level anymore.

If Treloar's looking like being out for a while, though, there's no point going with this option knowing we'll probably want to replace him at some point anyway, so I'd be more inclined to look at another option. Potentially keep McNeil in with West sub and shuffle Smith/Macrae into the centre bounce; or Cleary in with other defenders playing higher; or West in with CD taking more centre bounces. The first is probably my preferred option.

Anyway, that's my cue to run...
Run Away Nuclear Bomb GIF by Identity

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whatever, Freschwater
Funny. I just don’t want to hear Hannan or McComb near our selection sheet in 2023 unless there is literally no one on the list left ahead of them. People bracket McComb, McNeill and Scott even Rourke together. But Scott was clean last night, McNeill often shows something and Rourke, I admire him but if can’t get himself fit time will run out for him. There aren’t too many Sam Reid’s in AFL (Bulldogs, GWS…GWS…GWS) who get a 13 year career being a hack. The other two have played more AFL than I have but…

Could Bailey Dale play on ball?

Has speed and good delivery skills. Has been able to adapt to new positions in the past with aplomb.

Would add some class and kicking penetration.

Could Bailey Dale play on ball?

Has speed and good delivery skills. Has been able to adapt to new positions in the past with aplomb.

Would add some class and kicking penetration.
Only as an outside player. While Treloar's at his best breaking away from the pack he can also do the physical stuff as well and I think that's what makes him so valuable.

Dale is a very good player but he could have been a real star if he had an appetite for the physical contest. It just isn't his strength (and it showed last night on one or two occasions). I think we use his skills well as a rebounding defender. He has a brilliant low delivery (one pass i50 last night was just stunning) and we know he's great at running goals from around 50, so I think he could be a candidate for the wing but I'd be reluctant to shift him.

I have similar worries about Bailey Smith but he's a more complex individual with a lot of unrealised talent so he's probably worth a separate discussion elsewhere. He's a little better on the inside than Dale but has nothing like Dale's kicking skills and vision. Or Treloar's for that matter.

Richards is different and could well be a candidate to replace Treloar but it's a big risk to try it out in an 8 point game. As Dannnnn said, it's best not to tinker with the structure while it's working fairly well.

Williams is physical but doesn't have the burst speed we need there. Garcia is injured. West? ... well the debate goes on but I'm starting to think he's a bust in the WB line-up. McLean is not to be considered for at least a few games I'd say.

So it comes down to some uncomfortable choices, one of whom is McComb. Hannan has lost me I'm afraid but maybe not Bevo. Weightman could play in 5 minute bursts through there but not the whole game.

If pressed I'd replace Treloar with Bailey Smith and find some sort of replacement for whatever Baz was doing, maybe McNeil.

Only as an outside player. While Treloar's at his best breaking away from the pack he can also do the physical stuff as well and I think that's what makes him so valuable.

Dale is a very good player but he could have been a real star if he had an appetite for the physical contest. It just isn't his strength (and it showed last night on one or two occasions). I think we use his skills well as a rebounding defender. He has a brilliant low delivery (one pass i50 last night was just stunning) and we know he's great at running goals from around 50, so I think he could be a candidate for the wing but I'd be reluctant to shift him.

I have similar worries about Bailey Smith but he's a more complex individual with a lot of unrealised talent so he's probably worth a separate discussion elsewhere. He's a little better on the inside than Dale but has nothing like Dale's kicking skills and vision. Or Treloar's for that matter.

Richards is different and could well be a candidate to replace Treloar but it's a big risk to try it out in an 8 point game. As Dannnnn said, it's best not to tinker with the structure while it's working fairly well.

Williams is physical but doesn't have the burst speed we need there. Garcia is injured. West? ... well the debate goes on but I'm starting to think he's a bust in the WB line-up. McLean is not to be considered for at least a few games I'd say.

So it comes down to some uncomfortable choices, one of whom is McComb. Hannan has lost me I'm afraid but maybe not Bevo. Weightman could play in 5 minute bursts through there but not the whole game.

If pressed I'd replace Treloar with Bailey Smith and find some sort of replacement for whatever Baz was doing, maybe McNeil.
Treloar whilst we all know him for his run and attacking flair he’s been seriously important for us as a genuine in & under midfielder - he’s been toe and toe with Libba this year in there as our ‘first touch’ mids. I’m really not sure how we replace that, it probably has to be Baz but I think last night showcased his best role, he’s a follower but we don’t particularly want him on hands and knees.

I’m not sure why McComb is being brought up here, he is literally nothing like Treloar and offers nothing inside the contest at AFL level. He doesn’t bring toughness/aggression he can’t stick a tackle and can’t cover the ground as required for an AFL level mid.

West obviously not gonna happen, no Garcia unfortunately. I agree I don’t want to shake up other positions but I don’t think we can cover Adzy any other way that we may have to try something. I personally think it’s gotta be Red but it probably won’t happen. Would give Cody a go which is more likely, he might thrive on that step up in responsibility he loves to get his hands dirty on the ground and tackles as good as anyone on our team.

Likely they go safe and keep everyone’s role the same but shift Macrae back inside for Adzys minutes. I don’t love it because it brings back up the same issues we’ve struggled with in the past being too one dimensional in there.

I just think we know we’re probably not good enough to threaten if we keep doing the same things, shaking the structure up is a risk but the potential payoff is high.

Red or Cody for mine for pace, hardness and defensive instinct at the coalface. Our forward line might actually improve too moving Cody out for more natural ground level players like McNeil/Arty, whereas if Cody is forward even a little less he can play his more natural role up there.

Treloar whilst we all know him for his run and attacking flair he’s been seriously important for us as a genuine in & under midfielder - he’s been toe and toe with Libba this year in there as our ‘first touch’ mids. I’m really not sure how we replace that, it probably has to be Baz but I think last night showcased his best role, he’s a follower but we don’t particularly want him on hands and knees.

I’m not sure why McComb is being brought up here, he is literally nothing like Treloar and offers nothing inside the contest at AFL level. He doesn’t bring toughness/aggression he can’t stick a tackle and can’t cover the ground as required for an AFL level mid.

West obviously not gonna happen, no Garcia unfortunately. I agree I don’t want to shake up other positions but I don’t think we can cover Adzy any other way that we may have to try something. I personally think it’s gotta be Red but it probably won’t happen. Would give Cody a go which is more likely, he might thrive on that step up in responsibility he loves to get his hands dirty on the ground and tackles as good as anyone on our team.

Likely they go safe and keep everyone’s role the same but shift Macrae back inside for Adzys minutes. I don’t love it because it brings back up the same issues we’ve struggled with in the past being too one dimensional in there.

I just think we know we’re probably not good enough to threaten if we keep doing the same things, shaking the structure up is a risk but the potential payoff is high.

Red or Cody for mine for pace, hardness and defensive instinct at the coalface. Our forward line might actually improve too moving Cody out for more natural ground level players like McNeil/Arty, whereas if Cody is forward even a little less he can play his more natural role up there.
I really like Cody's enthusiasm and some of the athletic and freaky things he can do. But I look at his choices sometimes and think that he was the kid in grade prep that rolled around on the mat eating crayons and chewing cuisenaire rods during story time.

I don't know that he's shown enough to suggest he can think his way through some of situations he'll find in close quarters around stoppages up the ground.

Last edited:
I really like Cody's enthusiasm and some of the athletic and freaky things he can do. But I look at his choices sometimes and think that he was the kid in grade prep that sat on the mat eating crayons and chewing cuisenaire rods.

I don't know that he's shown enough to suggest he can think his way through some of situations he'll find in close quarters around stoppages up the ground.
He can definitely be a bit hot headed with his decision making. I think that sorta plays into the role Id like him to play though IMO, you need to play instinctively in there to be effective and I think that’s where he plays his best footy - when he doesn’t have too much time to think about it.

It’d be more to take a few CBs where he’s alongside the likes of Libba & Bont who have football smarts in spades, let them do the thinking. I honestly just want Cody to run through and cause some chaos and scrap for it, and throw his body around, tackle like a maniac etc I don’t think we necessarily need him to be a football genius in there if that makes sense, we’ve got plenty of that. Just add a little bit of unpredictability which he can definitely bring!

He can definitely be a bit hot headed with his decision making. I think that sorta plays into the role Id like him to play though IMO, you need to play instinctively in there to be effective and I think that’s where he plays his best footy - when he doesn’t have too much time to think about it.

It’d be more to take a few CBs where he’s alongside the likes of Libba & Bont who have football smarts in spades, let them do the thinking. I honestly just want Cody to run through and cause some chaos and scrap for it, and throw his body around, tackle like a maniac etc I don’t think we necessarily need him to be a football genius in there if that makes sense, we’ve got plenty of that. Just add a little bit of unpredictability which he can definitely bring!
Not totally against it but maybe we try it against Norf or something. For this game, Dunkleying Cripps is what I'd really like to see.

Actually, maybe the way to play this game is to have Bont match up on Cripps directly ala Fyfe and Dangerfield a few years ago. Two titans going at it head to head for the match. The winner wins the match and it would be spectacular to watch with Bont in his current form.

Last edited:
Not totally against it but maybe we try it against Norf or something. For this game, Dunkleying Cripps is what I'd really like to see.
Yeah I agree, not sure who we have who can do that though. Maybe we could give Macrae the role? Obviously doesn’t have the power of Cripps but he’s still one of our biggest bodies, his main job would just be to get in front of Cripps at the stoppage and make his life difficult and accumulate his own ball to hurt him the other way

Bevo said during his pre game presser last week that the club had ran Garcia, West and CD through the midfield in the pre-season to cover Treloar in the early part of the season.

CD is already rotating through there, Garcia is injured which leaves West.

Will be interesting to see what happens.

McLean will get the nod imo

Yeah I agree, not sure who we have who can do that though. Maybe we could give Macrae the role? Obviously doesn’t have the power of Cripps but he’s still one of our biggest bodies, his main job would just be to get in front of Cripps at the stoppage and make his life difficult and accumulate his own ball to hurt him the other way
I edited the post you quoted to include the following

"Actually, maybe the way to play this game is to have Bont match up on Cripps directly ala Fyfe and Dangerfield a few years ago. Two titans going at it head to head for the match. The winner wins the match and it would be spectacular to watch with Bont in his current form."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back