Fixture Changes VS Hawthorn Round 7

Remove this Banner Ad

Nash had 30 himself and kicked a goal. We had McGuiness as a pure negater but Nash gets his own ball and is built like a 6ft 6 bull. He's the perfect matchup for a Cripps and Bont. Last 3 weeks he's been in our top 3 players. This will be his biggest test though. He will get good support around him as this is the strongest midfield we have fielded all year.
Cmon leave Bont alone, it's his 200th and he needs brownlow votes

No team gets excited by their unproven youngsters more than Hawthorn. They legit think each debutant will play 250 games.

You must have missed the stage where a few around here were saying Nathan Hrovat looked like a pure 200+ game footballer

What’s the equivalent to being subjected to this stream of Conor Nash chat? Going to their board and posting paragraphs about Bailey Williams’ 3 goal game last week?

The most bizarre thing about Connor Nash is he is blatantly listed as being 197cm tall which is complete BS. Bont is only 193cm!

No team gets excited by their unproven youngsters more than Hawthorn. They legit think each debutant will play 250 games.
The Hawks fans are a different breed though. Yes you need to get excited by your youth when you are in full rebuild mode, but all of them legit think every draft pick is a star.

Why is this so true 😂

One of my best mates is a hawks fan, so I see a lot of their games (almost worth it for the 2x MCC tickets a year…)

Knows his footy but damn there’s been some bad players that have been the next Hodge/Mitchell over the years

Why is this so true 😂

One of my best mates is a hawks fan, so I see a lot of their games (almost worth it for the 2x MCC tickets a year…)

Knows his footy but damn there’s been some bad players that have been the next Hodge/Mitchell over the years
Not to mention Tom Scully, Patton, O'Rourke, they even got pumped about Hartigan from the Crows. That aside the current regime are doing the correct thing, play youth and get in as many high end picks as possible and see what happens.

I wonder if we are a little top heavy down back. Hawthorn only have Lewis as a genuine tall forward, with most of their goal kicking dangers being nippy midsizers like Breust, Greene, Wingard and Brockman.

Would've been a good week to give Keath a freshen up and give Cleary a run for mine.

Gotta be wary of Wingard, very smart player.

Turned down the chance to play with Bontempelli so he could instead play with Blake Hardwick

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would've been a good week to give Keath a freshen up and give Cleary a run for mine.
[/QUOTE]
Hopefully Keath locks down.on Lewis leaving Jones and O'Brien to just intercept everything !

Looking forward to seeing how McNeil goes. I've never been totally sold on him, but in my opinion his ground-level game is the strongest of any of our small forwards. Lots of opportunities go begging because nobody is at the fall of the ball in a marking contest but his positioning is consistently excellent. If he can find ways to get more involved than his standard 9 disposal 3 tackle games, he is a nice complement to what we have.

Anyone think this is going to be a tough game? I can really see Mitchell firing them up for this, and I think they'll be competitive. We'll miss Libba in the middle for sure, and if our tall forwards are not on their games the Hawks are set up to rebound well.

Anyone think this is going to be a tough game? I can really see Mitchell firing them up for this, and I think they'll be competitive. We'll miss Libba in the middle for sure, and if our tall forwards are not on their games the Hawks are set up to rebound well.

Most games are tough this year IMO. You need to be ready to play against most teams or else you will drop games.

Even teams down the bottom they will have periods in the season where they are more difficult to play against, and this week is an example.

Hawks are fielding their strongest team this year along with two narrow losses where they were more than competitive.

Play near our best with the correct intensity and we will beat most teams

Looking forward to seeing how McNeil goes. I've never been totally sold on him, but in my opinion his ground-level game is the strongest of any of our small forwards. Lots of opportunities go begging because nobody is at the fall of the ball in a marking contest but his positioning is consistently excellent. If he can find ways to get more involved than his standard 9 disposal 3 tackle games, he is a nice complement to what we have.
There was a period there last year where he was hitting that 10 touch, 15 PA, 1 goal per game level which is pretty nice for a small pressure fwd IMO, if he can do that he’ll be great for us

Most games are tough this year IMO. You need to be ready to play against most teams or else you will drop games.

Even teams down the bottom they will have periods in the season where they are more difficult to play against, and this week is an example.

Hawks are fielding their strongest team this year along with two narrow losses where they were more than competitive.

Play near our best with the correct intensity and we will beat most teams
Yeah but they were competitive against GWS and Adelaide - with all due respect to Hawthorn, we should absolutely pump them this weekend if we are at all serious. They're in the middle of a massive rebuild after a period of dominance then a period of trying to hang on (for probably 1-2 years too long), while we should be pushing for a PF /GF

After his ridiculous full pace perfect front and centre last week to go with his forward pursue, I'm convinced Naughton is the most natural small forward on our list

I wonder if we are a little top heavy down back. Hawthorn only have Lewis as a genuine tall forward, with most of their goal kicking dangers being nippy midsizers like Breust, Greene, Wingard and Brockman.

Ramsden will play a fair bit forward.

Next year will be our 100th season in the V/AFL, along with North and Hawthorn. Unlike us and North who were the powerhouse clubs in the VFA for years before gaining admittance to the VFL, winning multiple flags each. Hawthorn played VFA finals just once in their 11 years, in 1923. They really only got in on the location and quality of their home ground at the time (Port Melbourne and Prahran were both favoured to be the 12 team - Footscray and North were both monties (montys?). Yet Hawks have certainly (especially in the past 50-odd years) had more sustained success than either us or North.

Does this game have a 'past player' cup name?

I'd suggest the George Bennet Cup, given he played 108 games with us and 92 with Hawthorn (in 2 stints before and after playing for us) through the 30s and 40s.

Or better still the Norm/Walter Ware Cup. Footscray legend Norm Ware (recruited from Sale) actually had an older brother Walter who started with Hawthorn a few years earlier. Good genes with the Wares - Norm lived to 92, and Walter to 87. (Walter actually died in Footscray.) Their VFL careers over-lapped from 1932 to 1934, but they only played against each other once (of 5 possible games):

• Footscray and Hawthorn met once in 1932, Norm played, Walter didn't.
  • Footscray and Hawthorn met twice in 1933, first time at Glenferrie, Norm played and Walter didn't, second time at WO Walter played and Norm didn't!
  • Footscray and Hawthorn met twice again in 1934, first time at Glenferrie, Walter played and Norm didn't, second time at WO they finally took the field in the same game. Walter kicked 2 goals to Norm's one, but Footscray won 102-79. Walter played one more game the following week (last round of 1934), then left the VFL.
Interestingly, George Bennett played for Hawthorn in 1932-22 and swapped to Footscray starting from 1934. He played in the 1932 game against Norm but without Walter, neither of the Footscray v Hawthorn games in 1933, and both the 1934 games. He had a Ware as a club-mate for the first 11 seasons of his career (1930-40), then when he swapped back to Hawthorn in 1942 (having spent 1941 back at his original VFA club Camberwell), he played against Norm again twice in 1942, Norm missed the clash in 1943, and Bennet played in only 3 games in 44 (none against Foostcray).

Also Bob Ware, who played in our 1961 Grand Final side - against Hawthorn! - was the son of Walter and nephew of Norm (think he was actually either adopted or step-son of Walter), and is still with us at the age of 81. So he played for his uncle's former club in a GF against his father's former club.
(While Norm racked up 200 games - interrupted by war service - across 15 seasons, father and son Walter and Bob played an almost identical 63 and 65 games respectively - both having 5-year VFL careers.)

Yeah I have a few hawks friends and they are all pretty doggy supportive.
Yeah I don’t mind the Hawks. Based on success over recent decades they have done many things right as a football club. Supporters are not too bad either. Yeah there were a few knobs during their dynasty a few years ago, but to be expected…

Remove this Banner Ad

Back