Fixture Changes vs Richmond round 4

Remove this Banner Ad

A bit tough on the wee fella.
Rd 1 - did SFA but it turned out he was injured, so ...
Rd 2 - out injured after minor surgery
Rd 3 - rushed back (probably underdone) following surgery, kicked "lucky" 2 goals then was subbed out. I wish some of our other highly paid players could kick multiple lucky goals from less than a full game.

The bloke has come over after a 30+ goal season at Fremantle, has barely had a chance to establish a bond with his teammates, let alone understand how we play (we've been watching for years and can't figure it out ourselves), he's been injured and operated on and hasn't yet taken the field 100% sound in his only two games. Yet you've summarily dismissed him.

I'm tipping he'll make you want to eat your words before half the season is out.

Would not be the first time I have eaten my words combined with humble pie and sauce not to be bad maybe a bit salty.

Lobb kicked two important goals coming straight back in from an operation, deserves credit for such an effort. If he pushed it too far, they could give him a rest this week and slot Darcy back in, but I doubt it.

Garcia had a mare and looks the most likely to lose his spot. Possibly replaced by either West or McClean.
McComb will almost certainly have to play in the VFL after being the sub twice in a row.

After a bright start, Jones clearly struggled with the step up in level. Bevo tends to give debutants more than one week, so he may stay but looks like he needs to build his fitness and strength a bit more.

Who knows, they may also want to show they have faith in Garcia to turn it around and could even go in unchanged (except for the sub).

Hey team what do we think happens with Doc and JJ down back this week? Who comes out of the side? JJ was a good look back there.

Hey team what do we think happens with Doc and JJ down back this week? Who comes out of the side? JJ was a good look back there.
I’m tipping Duryea is a non-inclusion. He wasn’t all that impressive in the first two rounds. A win in R3 and his illness provide a convenient cover for giving him a game or two in the VFL to find his form without actually having him listed as “omitted”.

Doc would come back in if Croizer had a bad game
I would prefer Crozier over Doc after last weekends performance

I’m thinking it’ll be wet which isn’t ideal as I’ll like to see Lobb one more week.
Out Lobb
In McComb for some midfield minutes. Seen him in the wet in the magoos and he seems to like a wet track. West as sub

Arty and Garcia lucky but think we need their speed in the wet.

Might consider Gardner for Bruce as a slow track not going to be down his alley but may need Bruce as 2nd Ruck with Williams plugging a hole down back for the week.

If the perceived problem with Buku is his endurance, this would be mitigated by playing him as the sub. He wouldn't mess with the rotations if he came on fresh after halftime.

He hasn't played a bad game at senior level, he can play at both ends and supplies a point of difference with his marking ability. Surely you'd want the sub to be a player who can change the game. With McComb coming on we get another footsoldier doing the same old same old.
I really like Buku and think he has some elite things to build around - kicking (particularly set shots) and athleticism, but to say he hasnt played a bad bad game at senior level is flat out wrong. His game against WCE last year was atrocious and I dont think he's played many good games (he did kick 3 against Collingwood which really good output for a less than 10 gamer).

Agree that i'd rather him as sub than McComb though

I really like Buku and think he has some elite things to build around - kicking (particularly set shots) and athleticism, but to say he hasnt played a bad bad game at senior level is flat out wrong. His game against WCE last year was atrocious and I dont think he's played many good games (he did kick 3 against Collingwood which really good output for a less than 10 gamer).

Agree that i'd rather him as sub than McComb though
His debut against Carlton is best forgotten too but that was a fair while back. I think he's ready to make an impact.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Buku comes in for Crozier IMHO. Croze's kicking has been hap hazard at best, Buku can outmatch Croze in this area, plus provide a much more athletic cut off man. I feel/hope that Buku and Dom become our Wings for the next 10 years... A glass half full approach I know !

Crozier has been solid and won’t be dropped. Buku for Lobb if he’s not right, but if it’s going to be wet we shouldn’t bring in a taller type

Crozier has been solid and won’t be dropped. Buku for Lobb if he’s not right, but if it’s going to be wet we shouldn’t bring in a taller type
If it’s wet I wouldn’t mind Buku for Lobb, makes us smaller without throwing out the structure. Even if it’s wet not sure I want to go with only Marra/Naughty up front, and pull away Bruce from the backline to ruck which I never really like doing.

Croz was one of my absolute favourites at his best, and they don’t come much more courageous aerially than him and he’s been better but I’m not sure the mix is right back there currently. He needs to be sticking his marks or he just doesn’t offer enough IMO and they’re not sticking at the moment, but he’s flying for a lot.

With the 3 lumbering talls I don’t think you can fit Croz as well, so unless one was to come out and go 2 + Crozier, I think he should make way. With those three and Richards were actually pretty set for interceptions at the moment so I don’t think it’s as big a need.

I’d probably go Crozier for Cleary, we lose a bit aerially but gain a lot with Clearys precise kicking. I think that balances us up much more nicely, Jones/Keath/Bruce/Richards/Cleary/Dale/JJ.

Other than that I’d probably go in unchanged if there’s no injuries, otherwise Buku for Lobb if he doesn’t get up but I suspect he will off the long break.

Croz was one of my absolute favourites at his best, and they don’t come much more courageous aerially than him and he’s been better but I’m not sure the mix is right back there currently. He needs to be sticking his marks or he just doesn’t offer enough IMO and they’re not sticking at the moment, but he’s flying for a lot.

With the 3 lumbering talls I don’t think you can fit Croz as well, so unless one was to come out and go 2 + Crozier, I think he should make way. With those three and Richards were actually pretty set for interceptions at the moment so I don’t think it’s as big a need.

I’d probably go Crozier for Cleary, we lose a bit aerially but gain a lot with Clearys precise kicking. I think that balances us up much more nicely, Jones/Keath/Bruce/Richards/Cleary/Dale/JJ.

Other than that I’d probably go in unchanged if there’s no injuries, otherwise Buku for Lobb if he doesn’t get up but I suspect he will off the long break.
I am also pushing for Cleary to get a run, especially at the MCG where his run would be valuable.

Tigs in the wet at the mcg is very dangerous. Reckon we’re too tall and our lack of pace is a massive concern.

Tigs in the wet at the mcg is very dangerous. Reckon we’re too tall and our lack of pace is a massive concern.
Tigers will run a similar structure to us if they line up the same. I don’t think we’ll be too tall at all.

English - Nankervis

Lobb - T Young
Naughton - Balta
JUH - Grimes

Lynch - Jones
Riewoldt - Keath
Ryan - Bruce

Tigers will run a similar structure to us if they line up the same. I don’t think we’ll be too tall at all.

English - Nankervis

Lobb - T Young
Naughton - Balta
JUH - Grimes

Lynch - Jones
Riewoldt - Keath
Ryan - Bruce
Who goes to Dusty? Richards maybe but I’d prefer to try and free him up, maybe Croz is our best match up

Who goes to Dusty? Richards maybe but I’d prefer to try and free him up, maybe Croz is our best match up
Richards is definitely the obvious matchup. I'm comfortable with that and would instruct Richards to push hard offensively given the defensive side of the game isn't Dusty's priority these days.

I'll give JJ the first crack at Bolton this week after keeping Cameron quiet last week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back