Fixture Changes vs Richmond round 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Where does this argument stem from on here?

He's dominated the VFL as a MIDFIELDER for years and has been ordinary in the senior side as a small forward. The hardest position on the ground according to a host of former players.

He's the new whipping boy on here.
Because McComb out performs him at AFL level consistently in said role and is always the whipping boy yet because of who West's father is people seem to think he should always play and be thrown back in when he clearly isn't ready for AFL football yet

I can't understand the negativity around West. If you look at his stats for 2022 his team average (over 14 games) comes in at 16th for Supercoach and Dreamteam scores and 6th! for tackles. He is above Bailey Williams and Cody Weightman in these stats. He is miles above Garcia, Neill, Scott VDM and McComb.

He is still a young player. I would be ropable if we end up losing him to another club.

I can't understand the negativity around West. If you look at his stats for 2022 his team average (over 14 games) comes in at 16th for Supercoach and Dreamteam scores and 6th! for tackles. He is above Bailey Williams and Cody Weightman in these stats. He is miles above Garcia, Neill, Scott VDM and McComb.

He is still a young player. I would be ropable if we end up losing him to another club.
Since when are supercoach/dreamteam scores relevant as to a players ability? Dale Morris was an awful scorer in said metrics yet was our best defender for years.

He is not even remotely above Garcia, McNeil, McComb and VDM and to even bring Scott into this is laughable as he has become one of our most consistent players on the wing.

The "negativity" around West is he does not impact games enough and often does stupid things like giving away dumber frees and 50's the same of which Garcia was called out for last week.

He is a young player that needs to tidy up a lot of his game at the top level and find a way to impact as a half forward as he will always struggle to play midfield in our team due to the high quality players ahead of him.

There is a good chance he does end up at another team and that isn't the end of the world he is at best a very solid player but he isn't going to be even close to the player his father was and will more than likely end up at a poorer side for opportunity and find himself a niche spot

Westy is a burst player. Unfortunately the game demands athletes who can do repeat sprints to get to contest after contest. I just don't think Westy has that. If you not an athlete you need traits like Weightman has, good mark, crafty around goals and a good set shot. I think he is up against it.

Hate to break it to you but having the youngest list means nothing for current or future success.

Having an experienced list that is topped up with youth on a yearly basis is much better for sustained success
I was talking about you calling Richmond geriatrics

Since when are supercoach/dreamteam scores relevant as to a players ability? Dale Morris was an awful scorer in said metrics yet was our best defender for years.

He is not even remotely above Garcia, McNeil, McComb and VDM and to even bring Scott into this is laughable as he has become one of our most consistent players on the wing.

The "negativity" around West is he does not impact games enough and often does stupid things like giving away dumber frees and 50's the same of which Garcia was called out for last week.

He is a young player that needs to tidy up a lot of his game at the top level and find a way to impact as a half forward as he will always struggle to play midfield in our team due to the high quality players ahead of him.

There is a good chance he does end up at another team and that isn't the end of the world he is at best a very solid player but he isn't going to be even close to the player his father was and will more than likely end up at a poorer side for opportunity and find himself a niche spot
I didn't claim that Supercoach/Dreamtime scores are the be-all and end-all. But I believe they have some relevance.
You didn't address the tackles stat. Regarding frees: his average is giving away one per game (which is reasonable given his tackling rate)
I will also highlight that West is 4th for goal assists! How does fit in with your analysis?
BTW, I agree that Scott is well above West

I didn't claim that Supercoach/Dreamtime scores are the be-all and end-all. But I believe they have some relevance.
You didn't address the tackles stat. Regarding frees: his average is giving away one per game (which is reasonable given his tackling rate)
I will also highlight that West is 4th for goal assists! How does fit in with your analysis?
Your big suggestion with the tackle stat was that he was mediocre at them what's there to address?

He was 7th and had only 2 more than VDM and 3 more than McComb.

I suggest you do a bit more research however you will struggle to find many statistical categories that show young Rhylee impacting consistently at AFL level because he is yet to do so

Your big suggestion with the tackle stat was that he was mediocre at them what's there to address?

He was 7th and had only 2 more than VDM and 3 more than McComb.

I suggest you do a bit more research however you will struggle to find many statistical categories that show young Rhylee impacting consistently at AFL level because he is yet to do so

Footywire stats: 6th for tackles (average 3.82 per game).
Your point regarding 2 more for VDM and 3 more that McComb: that's a big difference (i.e a multiple).

I would have thought that goal assists are a pretty important stat for a small forward. No?

I suggest you get a better grip on statistics and stats before criticizing people for putting forward reasonable arguments.

Serious question- aren’t they also West’s strong points too? I see these two as essentially equal players with Garcia having an edge in pace and West an edge in “big-bodieness” ( it’s a thing trust me) meaning West can compete better with the big bodied mids.
I find it hard to split them and gave West marginally ahead.
Yes keep Garcia IN his hard at it has pace and has a bit of xunt in him.

Footywire stats: 6th for tackles (average 3.82 per game).
Your point regarding 2 more for VDM and 3 more that McComb: that's a big difference (i.e a multiple).

I would have thought that goal assists are a pretty important stat for a small forward. No?

I suggest you get a better grip on statistics and stats before criticizing people for putting forward reasonable arguments.
Since when was 2/3 big?

Outside of his big game against the Giants last year he is statistically very very poor and has many single digit disposal 0 goal games i.e like 2 weeks ago, He is in his 5th year now and still struggles to impact games and again McComb plays higher up the ground and only averaged 0.07 less GA then West its not that big of a deal

AFL.com’a weekly tips favours the Tiges 10-1. Agree they should be favourites but that is ridiculous.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rohan Connolly tipped us . He did his podcast from his hospital bed this week as he’s had a bleed on the brain.

Get well soon Rohan , one of the best footy journos around.

AFL.com’a weekly tips favours the Tiges 10-1. Agree they should be favourites but that is ridiculous.
Just a bit. 14 points flattered them last week but their supporters are cocky than ever thinking they have Collingwood's measure and some even just looking to next week already

Tell that to Bont that SuperCoach scores have some relevance. He was BOG against Brisbane and got like an 89, but got 10 in the coaches votes and should get 3 Brownlow votes.

West just hasn’t taken his chances and some of the issues that have let him down are around attitude and mentality from an outside perspective.

He burns his teammates a lot, doesn’t find the ball enough or impact at AFL level.

Not saying Garcia is better but he doesn’t have the same issues in terms of mentality and attitude. Seems a team first player. But still needs to find the ball more and needs to find a way to impact.

I don’t rate McComb due to his disposal but not even going to touch on that one.

West may be a Lukas Webb type that just can’t translate it to AFL.

We all have different opinions but there does seem to be calls for him almost every week, regardless of him failing to take his chances. And it makes me wonder if he had a different last name would there be as many calls for him to play

If wests last name was not west, people would not want him anywhere near the 22. Surprising what a family name does to judging a player on their performances and ability.
Disagree, he simply goes harder at the footy than most players and people love that quality in a player. Of course that doesn't mean he shouldn't be dropped for playing poorly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back