Fixture Changes vs Richmond round 4

Remove this Banner Ad

McComb sucks man, he’s genuinely roped everyone here into thinking he’s okay because hey he’s not as bad as he used to be.

he ******* sucks ass honestly, name a worse player in the AFL, just one, name one
Mitch Honeychurch

West should be an emergency and I would have as the sub, especially if wet. Usually has good hands and his disposal is a class above Bevo’s boys. If Robbie was West he would have been delisted last year. The guy was horrendous, worst than Gardner in his first 18 games. At least Gards was early 20’s back then not close to 30. Bevo has had a win so he can do what he wants because the man runs the club and no one has the balls to challenge him.

West should be an emergency and I would have as the sub, especially if wet. Usually has good hands and his disposal is a class above Bevo’s boys. If Robbie was West he would have been delisted last year. The guy was horrendous, worst than Gardner in his first 18 games. At least Gards was early 20’s back then not close to 30. Bevo has had a win so he can do what he wants because the man runs the club and no one has the balls to challenge him.
I’m just going to post this here to help frame the arguments about to come your way:

Scott West > Daylight > Rhylee West >(?)< McComb.

It would be great if the discussion could focus on the bold part without the need for the former. I’m very confident I would think McComb is no good independent of who Rhylee’s father is, in the same way I have NFI who Toby McLean’s father is and would prefer him in the team over McComb too.

I don’t even really care about McComb’s disposal as that’s a super hard thing to fix. I care more about how easily he is side stepped and has his tackles broken.

I think we are now too tall in defense with Riewoldt out. They only have Ryan (who will spend a lot of time on the bench/ruck) & Lynch as talls, surrounded by quick smalls.

Duryea was listed as fine during the injury report but now isn’t featured? I’d have Bruce come out of the side for Hannan or McNeil and push Caleb back to defence for this game only.

It's hardly worth a celebrating Jack and Cotchin missing. It's 2023 not 2013. Would much prefer they both played. We could do with some blokes that make us look quicker.
Cotchin has played well the last 2 times they have belted us. Not worried about the Tigers apparent lack of pace, Cotch, Prestia, Graham, Nank etc.. have judged manhandled us physically.

West v McComb is interesting but at this stage they are playing different roles. West as a forward and McComb as a mid and on the wing.

Wests strengths are individual contest and skills. He has taken teams apart as a forward and has very good hands and tackling. This so more than McComb or Hannan or VDM or McNeil has done and that ‘potential impact’ is alluring.

He has confidence bordering arrogance but you need that as a forward and his goal assist rate shows he isn’t a hog. His issues are when he doesn’t have the ball. Bevo wants people to play to his system - be where they need to be and fast. Remember 2015/16 and how quickly we got set up in defensive transition - choked teams.

IMHO he is not a forward because as a forward you have to be proactive - he is great reactive (when the ball comes to him). I believe he can be a very good AFL player but needs to be in the mid rotation - some players just excel when you throw them in the contest. The midfield rotation is one short when we have injuries - he would be there if Caleb didn’t have a pretty good game against the Bears.

Ie Bont, Macrae, Libba and then Trelor, Smith ???? (Daniel, McLean, McComb, García / but none of these six are first possession players - maybe McComb? Certainly the capital of VFL is. A young Libba kept Wallis out as they both clashed. But a 30 year old Libba will need a buddy. I would give West games in guts but he doesn’t own it and so OK with McComb given opportunity also.

West can flow forward and kick a few and that is a serious advantage but I would prefer McNeil as the HFF. Better runner - faster - good crumber where we don’t have one. Jones could trump both and had a really impressive first game but is still a kid.

McCombs strength is the opposite great effort - gut running to do the team job but poor skills. Much like VDM.

Both weaknesses are ultimately fatal for a serious AFL career as best 22 so the question is which weakness are easier to address - I reckon Wests but they have to stop moving him around to fill a gap but develop him based on his strengths.

Would also play Bruce forward with Lobb out. Yes ruck is average but he is now way way faster and fitter in the top metres covered and top speeds - he will be better in that role. And big one …. He is a 50+ goal kicker 30% better than Lobb as a forward - this is huge. Sitting him as a spare parts third backman- selfless by him but a waste of his talent. Naughton and JUH up the ground and Bruce at FF is daunting for any team.

If not him then need another target so best is Khamis - he is a player that lifts in the AFL and has a great ability to impact the contest. He is dangerous and I wouldn’t want hi there if I was the opposition.

I get that Lobbs role is to genuinely increase the impact of English and give us a 50m option - not sure his ruck is that good but he is a beautiful kick so if we get him the ball he may be what the MC is hoping. Am hoping to be convinced and concerned about his competitiveness-if he can’t win a contest he seems to give up and watch the play rather than dominate.

Cleary into defence - as a third defender is a undersized but has fight, class and good decision making. Will give us balance. Tom Stewart is only 190 and he does alright. Alternatives are TOB (hope he turns it around - has top level ability but not application or durability) and Raak (been moved all over the place which isn’t a good sign but certainly has competitiveness-I believe if we stick with him and he puts on 10kgs he will be very handy but a fair way off at the moment).

Too late for any of this to matter but would look like this:

Crozier Jones Richards
Cleary Keath Dale

Scott McRae Williams
English Bont Libba

JUH Naughton Smith
Jones Bruce Khamis

Int Trelor, Daniel, Baker, Lobb (expect he might be a last minute withdrawal - that kind of injury doesn’t fix that fast - if out Sweet and give English a proper rest and get him back into a forward rotation) or as above happy for West to play in the guts. JJ was good last week and may move Daniel but he just started to show something in the Mids last week so doubt it .

Sub JJ

Whether we go tall or small, or Riewoldt and Cotchin play or not, will make no difference. It's going to be a massacre.

JUH and Naughton to kick 10 each. McComb to get in coach's votes.

West v McComb is interesting but at this stage they are playing different roles. West as a forward and McComb as a mid and on the wing.

Wests strengths are individual contest and skills. He has taken teams apart as a forward and has very good hands and tackling. This so more than McComb or Hannan or VDM or McNeil has done and that ‘potential impact’ is alluring.

He has confidence bordering arrogance but you need that as a forward and his goal assist rate shows he isn’t a hog. His issues are when he doesn’t have the ball. Bevo wants people to play to his system - be where they need to be and fast. Remember 2015/16 and how quickly we got set up in defensive transition - choked teams.

IMHO he is not a forward because as a forward you have to be proactive - he is great reactive (when the ball comes to him). I believe he can be a very good AFL player but needs to be in the mid rotation - some players just excel when you throw them in the contest. The midfield rotation is one short when we have injuries - he would be there if Caleb didn’t have a pretty good game against the Bears.

Ie Bont, Macrae, Libba and then Trelor, Smith ???? (Daniel, McLean, McComb, García / but none of these six are first possession players - maybe McComb? Certainly the capital of VFL is. A young Libba kept Wallis out as they both clashed. But a 30 year old Libba will need a buddy. I would give West games in guts but he doesn’t own it and so OK with McComb given opportunity also.

West can flow forward and kick a few and that is a serious advantage but I would prefer McNeil as the HFF. Better runner - faster - good crumber where we don’t have one. Jones could trump both and had a really impressive first game but is still a kid.

McCombs strength is the opposite great effort - gut running to do the team job but poor skills. Much like VDM.

Both weaknesses are ultimately fatal for a serious AFL career as best 22 so the question is which weakness are easier to address - I reckon Wests but they have to stop moving him around to fill a gap but develop him based on his strengths.

Would also play Bruce forward with Lobb out. Yes ruck is average but he is now way way faster and fitter in the top metres covered and top speeds - he will be better in that role. And big one …. He is a 50+ goal kicker 30% better than Lobb as a forward - this is huge. Sitting him as a spare parts third backman- selfless by him but a waste of his talent. Naughton and JUH up the ground and Bruce at FF is daunting for any team.

If not him then need another target so best is Khamis - he is a player that lifts in the AFL and has a great ability to impact the contest. He is dangerous and I wouldn’t want hi there if I was the opposition.

I get that Lobbs role is to genuinely increase the impact of English and give us a 50m option - not sure his ruck is that good but he is a beautiful kick so if we get him the ball he may be what the MC is hoping. Am hoping to be convinced and concerned about his competitiveness-if he can’t win a contest he seems to give up and watch the play rather than dominate.

Cleary into defence - as a third defender is a undersized but has fight, class and good decision making. Will give us balance. Tom Stewart is only 190 and he does alright. Alternatives are TOB (hope he turns it around - has top level ability but not application or durability) and Raak (been moved all over the place which isn’t a good sign but certainly has competitiveness-I believe if we stick with him and he puts on 10kgs he will be very handy but a fair way off at the moment).

Too late for any of this to matter but would look like this:

Crozier Jones Richards
Cleary Keath Dale

Scott McRae Williams
English Bont Libba

JUH Naughton Smith
Jones Bruce Khamis

Int Trelor, Daniel, Baker, Lobb (expect he might be a last minute withdrawal - that kind of injury doesn’t fix that fast - if out Sweet and give English a proper rest and get him back into a forward rotation) or as above happy for West to play in the guts. JJ was good last week and may move Daniel but he just started to show something in the Mids last week so doubt it .

Sub JJ
Great post, but I'll take issue with a couple in your team. Treloar and Baker have been amongst our better performers so far, harsh to bench them. Also JJ did well back in defence last week. I still believe his run and kicking skills are valuable.

Great post, but I'll take issue with a couple in your team. Treloar and Baker have been amongst our better performers so far, harsh to bench them. Also JJ did well back in defence last week. I still believe his run and kicking skills are valuable.

Agree - I don’t really see as a bench being secondary just rotation. Baker out performed both Scott (who was good) and Williams (was Ok) so probably deserves to start as a reward. And JJ was very good - and feel he deserves to play but just felt that we lack a mid defender like Cleary - not sure who to take out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond’s side on paper coupled with what they’ve produced over the previous two seasons should be no problem, but I have no confidence in the side right now and wouldn’t be surprised if they roll over again.

McComb or West or anyone else in the last couple of spots in the team rarely impact a result.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Duryea is playing VFL next week and isn’t even an emergency. I can only assume his illness really knocked him around and they aren’t completely sure of his ability to get through a full game.

Swapping a tall defender out for him is just too obvious a move to make otherwise.

Think this game will be alot closer than most are thinking

Doggies for whilst not the best did beat the Lions last week which has just dismantled the might pies that have already been given this years premiership & Brownlow medal

Richmonds for is not the best

McComb sucks man, he’s genuinely roped everyone here into thinking he’s okay because hey he’s not as bad as he used to be.

he ******* sucks ass honestly, name a worse player in the AFL, just one, name one
I am at least confident he will score more supercoach points than Garcia's minus 6

Duryea is playing VFL next week and isn’t even an emergency. I can only assume his illness really knocked him around and they aren’t completely sure of his ability to get through a full game.

Swapping a tall defender out for him is just too obvious a move to make otherwise.
I see it slightly differently. I think his form in Rounds 1 & 2 was below what we had become used to from Doc. The illness was timely for MC. He'll now have to prove himself at VFL level to displace one of Crozier or JJ.

I'd prefer we had one extra small too given the forecast but that's not going to be the case by the look of it.

Our team is fine and should be able to beat the Tiges

The issue is when we have been on top early in games against the tiges poor kicking at goals has meant we were not able to put the games away.

The Tiges upped their pressure and we wilted.

Pretty simple really, take our chances when on top and up our pressure to match theirs when they invariably up their pressure.

Nothing to do with team selection this weak, all between the ears

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

i
Can Beveridge * off with the McComb s**t
McComb will develop into the next Dustin Martin and we will win three flags in a row. Can't you see the upside?
On a serious note, I would love it if he turns out to be a really good player, but the probability is very low at this moment. Hope he has a great game tomorrow.

I’m so conflicted when McComb gets the ball. I want him to not ** up obviously in real time, but every time he doesn’t ** up he increases his chance of staying in the team and I don’t want that longer term. Same feelings as I had with Gowers in his last year with us.
that’s very funny, I feel exactly the same way. He has so much potential to * up!

Today we may see which Dog’s outfit we have for 23. If we get beaten comfortably by Tigers we are going to have one of those Bevo seasons. Once it a while we will be competitive against a good team and usually easily defeat poor teams, may scrap into the finals and get bundled out in the elimination. Another lost opportunity under Bevo.

On the other hand, we may have had a couple of weeks of teething problems adjusting to AFL level teams in fine tuning our new defensive ssystem we have been fine tuning over the summer break. We actually did not have any competitive preseason games So it makes sense we would struggle early on. Last week we played a more man on man approach and was bloody refreshing. Let’s hope last week was the real Dogs and that’s what we get week in week out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back