Preview Changes vs Gold Coast Franchise Sunday 4:40pm @ Metricon

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The back-line named is very slow with little agility. Out the back, goal, repeat.šŸ«£
Goater, Thomas, Bergman, we need these guys to become good small/medium defenders
Yeah the quicker we get Goater and Thomas back in the side the better

Goater should be in now over the likes of Howe

Round about now, it will be dawning on people that Clarko is ā€œcut from the same clothā€ as Brad Scott. Only difference is that, hopefully, Clarko inspires the team better.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Only difference is 5 GFs and 4 flags vs 0 and 0

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I defended Turner in the first few weeks because he was applying more pressure than anyone in the forward line. He's dropped right off the last couple of weeks and should be axed because he's not tackling or kicking goals or providing goal assists.

Noticed this too, and because I have such a hectic, exciting life, I went through everyone else's team lineups for the week to compare. Carlton are the only team who are in our stratosphere in terms of pace, or lack thereof. If two of Rosas, Sexton and Jeffrey get named in the 22, we're gonna get torched
Itā€™s two fold as there isnā€™t much run on the rebound

Its really easy to single out 1 player but there were way too many passengers last week, especially in the second half. Iā€™d drop half the team, be ruthless and go into this week with a team that would be beaten by 200 points. Obviously Turner does something or is savvy with what his role is. He was down last week and is getting another chance.

The other thing is too, when learning a game plan and new systems, chopping and changing with significant change to personnel is pointless. Lick our wounds, no passengers and weā€™ll be in this game no worries.

Only difference is 5 GFs and 4 flags vs 0 and 0

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

šŸ¤£Precisely. My point refers to the continued selection of players like Turner and Howe, etc. despite the fact that ā€œus, real expertsā€ can see the obvious error of his ways.

Dew's Suns brace for Kangaroos AFL backlash

Murray Wenzel AAP
April 20, 2023 12:12PM
https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/dews-suns-brace-for-kangaroos-afl-backlash-c-10401152
Stuart Dew knows his Gold Coast side can't afford to keep letting teams off the hook.
And, fresh off an AFL hiding from Brisbane last weekend, the coach knows Sunday's opponents North Melbourne will need no second invitation.
After wayward kicking cost the Suns (1-4) in losses to Essendon and then Fremantle, Dew's seeking polish and a commitment to their game plan he maintains is sound.
"We saw some things last week we liked that we need to do for longer," Dew said of the loss to the Dockers.
"We also need to take our chances; twice now we've let teams off the hook with our finishing."
Dew earned a contract extension last year after steering the side from a 2-5 start to within two games of a maiden finals appearance.
He admits the pressure is squarely back on and wants to avoid the need to repeat last year's mid-season revival.
"Our internal dialogue and urgency is right where it needs to be," he said.

"What we do need is to keep it on track this weekend and not project.
"Projections are for everyone else. They don't help us in the short term.
"We expect to win this week. We're certainly not sitting there waiting to replicate last year; we need to try and get one on the board this week."
The Kangaroos began the season with two wins under new coach Alastair Clarkson before tight losses to Carlton and Hawthorn.
The Lions were trailing early before a dominant win that featured a club-record 33 marks inside 50.
"I know what he's like after a performance like that and he'll have them worked up," Dew said of his counterpart.
He said co-captain and ruckman Jarrod Witts remained in doubt with back soreness, while the club had taken notes when the chips were similarly down last year.
"I think we, as a footy department, maintained belief," he said.
"Sitting around having meetings and talking about it doesn't fix it, it's getting out there and doing the work.
"And narrowing the focus.
"Last year we were 2-5 heading into Sydney and Fremantle who were flying ... we were probably the only ones that backed us to win those two games and we got it done.
"We've shown we can do it, we just need to make sure we've got that urgency this week."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sadly this is true. After Sheez he was our highest ranked player. But that's not saying much when so many of our guys were poor and the opposition dominated.

I would prefer his spot went to someone else, but I can't see it happening, at least not this week.
Highest ranked maybe, but the fact that Phillips didn't get in the best or even rate a mention in the usually biased AFL website write up is a joke. They either don't know who he is or don't know what he did. Which is often par for the course when you're reading staff writers.

Dew and the Suns are getting hammered in the media. 1 and 4, lost winnable games, were they right to extend him, etc.
They will be fired up this week. Hope I'm wrong but I expect them to win at a venue that we notoriously struggle at, particularly at night.
Our good "North Melbourne" :oops: friend Damian Barrett added fuel to the fire earlier by putting s**t on Dew saying this week and the next few will determine his future.

Either way, I just can't like that man. He's too germy.

Our good "North Melbourne" :oops: friend Damian Barrett added fuel to the fire earlier by putting s**t on Dew saying this week and the next few will determine his future.

Either way, I just can't like that man. He's too germy.
Dew or Barrett? If Barrett youā€™ve been a bit too kind

Bergman & Goater need to be brought back into the side. From a 5 game sample size, I have seen enough. Our back 6 mix is far better with those two and Sheezel, as they can run and use the footy.

Without them, we are slow and predictable behind the ball.

IDGAF about senior bodies, the mix has not been right since those two left the 22.
Goater and Perez in the last game last season also looked much better than anything else. I don't mind Hall myself but those two were better and Goater/Bergs looked good earlier this season too.

Greenwood shiels curtis phillips final bench for mine

so out: howe and simpkin
in: greenwood and curtis

sub id go lazzaro

tipping a breakout game by wilphil against his chargers teammates rowell and noah
I'm really looking forward to this.

Round about now, it will be dawning on people that Clarko is ā€œcut from the same clothā€ as Brad Scott. Only difference is that, hopefully, Clarko inspires the team better.

When Clarko talks about the game he has a much better understanding of what he wants and a better way of communicating it.

I defended Turner in the first few weeks because he was applying more pressure than anyone in the forward line. He's dropped right off the last couple of weeks and should be axed because he's not tackling or kicking goals or providing goal assists.
He had two goal assists (3 score involvements) from 5 touches last week. Yes he needs to get it more but people saying he has no impact need to start watching more closely.

Yeah the quicker we get Goater and Thomas back in the side the better

Goater should be in now over the likes of Howe
Well Thomas who knows when that will happen but it is suddenly a possibility.

I think Goater will get there.

But I stress again that howe/Turner/Sheils/greenwood are purely place holders. Goater/Berg/Wardlaw will come in but they need to first be able to develop the full tank and ability to play a full game at afl level and be as good at the end of the game than the start. I expect those guys to get little tastes at afl level go back to vfl back up again. I expect these guys to be established at the tail end of this year.

Last week was a disaster but last year we did not have the run and we got flogged a lot more.

I get why the placeholders are there nowā€¦..but just for now.

We were so substandard last year and we are working back from that. This tactic to build the side is the right play provided that we see Goater/Bergman/Wardlaw gradually feature more regularly around mid/late season.

We just need to be patient. Yes weā€™ve waited for a few years but Noble effectively ruined any progress, set it on fire and pissed on the ashes, unfortunately north have to fix that

The pure stats from the season thus far suggest we're pretty evenly matched.
Hopefully its a cracking game, befitting the occasion.

View attachment 1666103
They outdo us in key stats tackles contested possession marks inside 50, unless something dramatic happens in terms of team cohesion and players going at 100% Suns will beat us Iā€™m afraid šŸ˜§

They outdo us in key stats tackles contested possession marks inside 50, unless something dramatic happens in terms of team cohesion and players going at 100% Suns will beat us Iā€™m afraid šŸ˜§
Something pretty dramatic changed between round 2 and round 5, so it stands to reason the pendulum can swing back again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back