Changes vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does Ugle Hagan possibly keep his spot after that game. He had next to no influence at all. Just doesn’t work hard enough. Buku or Bedendo offer more than he does and he’s only being selected ahead of them because he was a high draft pick.
This is a pisstake post right? Buku’s last three games at senior level were more or less non-existent and Bedendo hasn’t even been playing forward at VFL level.

We finally had a proper functioning forward line and structure last night. It’s not about individual performances but the sum of all parts.

His impact on Naughton’s game was important too. Nick Haynes had 2 marks last night - when has that ever been the case against us.
good pick up, this really says it all doesn’t it - we usually get killllled from these types and Haynes in particular. Whatever it was something worked last night in regards to forward structure, whilst quiet he was a part of that - as was Schache

How does Ugle Hagan possibly keep his spot after that game. He had next to no influence at all. Just doesn’t work hard enough. Buku or Bedendo offer more than he does and he’s only being selected ahead of them because he was a high draft pick.

Nup, gotta keep JUH in with Schache as well. It’s not just about disposals for JUH, it’s about structure. Naughton needs assistance and got that last night. Schache and JUH then battling for a spot once Bruce is ready.

I think Bendendo and Darcy are getting close. Bendendo probably gets a crack first

Out Duryea Weightman McComb
In Crozier Hunter Bendendo (or Wallis)
Darcy's played 3 games. His stats aren't all that impressive, average 9 disposals, 5 marks. Why do you think he's near selection ?

Darcy's played 3 games. His stats aren't all that impressive, average 9 disposals, 5 marks. Why do you think he's near selection ?

I can think of a few reasons:

1. He's ****ing massive.

2. We are desperately thin in the tall defender department.

3. Those stats aren't bad for a key defender.

Can someone explain to me the logic of Weightman being fine to play out the game but not able to play a week later?
That's a fair question, Duryea didn't resume or continue. X_Box_x's explanation looks right, adrenaline and endorphins allows players to continue following injury, it's not only in contact sport, accident victims, soldiers with injuries are the same. Weightman's injury was reported to be a dislocation, there are accounts of players self adjusting dislocations, fingers, on the field. I suppose the medical staff assessed Weightman's injury to be of minimal risk of impeding recovery.

1. He's ******* massive.

I'll add another.

While he's not ready for any sustained 1-on-1 matchups against the likes of Hawkins (who is?) or Daniher he reads the play well and can be a very good intercept mark in this early stage of his career. That in itself would be a handy thing to have. Could always swing him to a forward pocket too if the forward line isn't working.

I wouldn't be dropping Keath or Gardner for him though.

JUH was torched on several leads. Some behind the goals footage showed this in the first quarter.
West torched him by having a snap from 40 out instead of handballing off to Marra who was free.

He's close to having a good game. If two of his marks stuck we would be having a different conversation.

Our mids bomb it in Naughton's head too much.

1. He's ******* massive.

Yep, his stats are comparable with those of Keath and Gardiner and to be fair to him, his first game stats drag his averages down, albeit over 3 games. He's comfortable and competent at VFL level, that's a start. Photos I've seen show him to be still skinny and without impressive muscle definition. It will be interesting to see when he's promoted.

I'm not a huge fan but I thought he played ok. He was close to taking about four contested marks hopefully they eill start to stick.
Also I believe he and Schache were taking turns at playing defensive fwd on himmelberg.

Only way I see Darcy making a debut this year would be up forward as the 2nd ruck/forward.

It's too big of a responsibility for him to man a key defensive post in 2022 the way our team defends.

At the very least as a forward/ruck he would have Naughty and Bruce to take the lion share of responsibility/attention and he can be comfortable as the third tall. Probably would require injuries to Schache/JUH for him to debut.

Surely Cleary's a chance to get a look in ahead of Crozier? We could be too attacking off our half back line. Crozier's been playing as a ball user with 20+ kicks in the VFL, it isn't really a like-for-like replacement for Duryea.

Garcia's got to be some chance to push McNeil for that small forward role as well.

Surely Cleary's a chance to get a look in ahead of Crozier? We could be too attacking off our half back line. Crozier's been playing as a ball user with 20+ kicks in the VFL, it isn't really a like-for-like replacement for Duryea.

Garcia's got to be some chance to push McNeil for that small forward role as well.

McNeil was pretty good when he came on. Garcia needs another 2 weeks or so in the VFL. He will push though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s getting a heap of ball because he’s 1000x better than anyone else down there at VFL level. I think he’s comfortably better defensively than Cleary at this early stage - although Cleary should hopefully overtake him in time. Plus Cleary coming back from Covid which always has a nasty affect. If we’re playing for results Croz should get first preference imo - later in the year if finals goes out the window then sure give it to Cleary

There's a reasonable chance he'd already be more influential in the air than a couple of the guys were currently giving games to in the back line.

We need another tall key back in the team who can perform the basic task of spoiling or intercepting a ball.

There's a reasonable chance he'd already be more influential in the air than a couple of the guys were currently giving games to in the back line.

We need another tall key back in the team who can perform the basic task of spoiling or intercepting a ball.

If Crozier can’t get a game this week I think he will be taking the 2022 Jackson Trengrove award

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Was at the game - there weren’t many of us but reckon more than GWS fans (embarrassing for them!).

Perhaps - Calls for JUH to be dropped probably wouldn’t have been as strong if at the game. As others have said Haynes kills us with Intercepts - and was completely taken out of the game. HH had 30+ possessions last week and was neutralised and Naughton was able to run and jump at the ball and got five.

He did his job and was absolutely torched and ignored (hopefully on purpose if his role was to create space) but on at least three occasions he had made great space - completely open and missed by heaps. McNeil missed two that were inexplicable - was looking right at him - he is 35m out at 45 and kicks into space - not even to a player. Trelor torched him too a couple of times. And even then he kicked one - set up at least one and was 5% off snagging a couple that bounced out of his normally good hands.

Really interesting when Bruce comes back - can we have Bruce, Naughton, JUH and Schache? Doubt that works so one of JUH or Schache will be out in the next few weeks and will depend on attitude to playing Bruce in the ruck. Darcy really a next year question. Is JUH up for contract renewal? Can see Essendope chasing him - ‘we will play you every week’ ‘you deserve better’ b/s

Attack was not our problem-they whole unit look dangerous with 5 genuine threats and McNeil doing well when he came on.

Defence is where we will need to look - had 100+ kicked on us and at the game they looked lost - not really playing a zone or marking their man. So many marks where two GWS could have marked and we put no pressure on. I am going to be bold here but would swap Cordy for TOB. Cleary not big enough and not quite ready and Parker now gone for big injury - so not many options.

But this has lack of defensive contact pressure has to change.

F:face wouldn’t have got 7 if Doc stayed there but he was not marked at all - even at defensive stoppages where he could easily slip out behind untouched. Crozier will help and should come straight in.

Williams is too slow (anyone else at the game think he looked really slow?) to play on a Tony but he is/was a decent contact player and may drop back in a rotation.

Some minor corrections on your stats DM.
Darcy has played 4 games, averaging 11 disposals and 7 marks. - Had a big Friday game stats wise. Source: VFL app.

Some minor corrections on your stats DM.
Darcy has played 4 games, averaging 11 disposals and 7 marks. - Had a big Friday game stats wise. Source: VFL app.
Thanks, DnB my stats are from

- Sam Darcy

revisiting, I now see that stats for this weekend's game are still unpublished. That means his stats for Friday were 17 disposals and 13 Marks, that's double disposals and 2 1/2 times marks. If he keeps up that rate of improvement, he'll be Brownlow Medalist and captain-coach by the Finals.

Was at the game - there weren’t many of us but reckon more than GWS fans (embarrassing for them!).

Perhaps - Calls for JUH to be dropped probably wouldn’t have been as strong if at the game. As others have said Haynes kills us with Intercepts - and was completely taken out of the game. HH had 30+ possessions last week and was neutralised and Naughton was able to run and jump at the ball and got five.

He did his job and was absolutely torched and ignored (hopefully on purpose if his role was to create space) but on at least three occasions he had made great space - completely open and missed by heaps. McNeil missed two that were inexplicable - was looking right at him - he is 35m out at 45 and kicks into space - not even to a player. Trelor torched him too a couple of times. And even then he kicked one - set up at least one and was 5% off snagging a couple that bounced out of his normally good hands.

Really interesting when Bruce comes back - can we have Bruce, Naughton, JUH and Schache? Doubt that works so one of JUH or Schache will be out in the next few weeks and will depend on attitude to playing Bruce in the ruck. Darcy really a next year question. Is JUH up for contract renewal? Can see Essendope chasing him - ‘we will play you every week’ ‘you deserve better’ b/s

Attack was not our problem-they whole unit look dangerous with 5 genuine threats and McNeil doing well when he came on.

Defence is where we will need to look - had 100+ kicked on us and at the game they looked lost - not really playing a zone or marking their man. So many marks where two GWS could have marked and we put no pressure on. I am going to be bold here but would swap Cordy for TOB. Cleary not big enough and not quite ready and Parker now gone for big injury - so not many options.

But this has lack of defensive contact pressure has to change.

F:face wouldn’t have got 7 if Doc stayed there but he was not marked at all - even at defensive stoppages where he could easily slip out behind untouched. Crozier will help and should come straight in.

Williams is too slow (anyone else at the game think he looked really slow?) to play on a Tony but he is/was a decent contact player and may drop back in a rotation.
Thankyou for that, NBD, there's nothing like being at the game, the screen and stats only get you so far. Statistically, Ugle-Hagan hasn't improved at all during his 3 (?) week sojourn in the twos, the screen showed him missing contested marks, going to ground and no vision of Naughtonesque 2nd or 3rd efforts. Your description of his role paints a different picture, it puts pressure on Cordy's position as defensive forward. Your assessment of defence mirrors a more diplomatic Beveridge's. On screen it looked like the issue was the zone set up rather than pressure.

Out: doc (inj) Cody (inj) McComb
In: McNiel Hunter Bedendo

JJ can go back and along with Richards, Dale and Daniel that’s plenty plus Williams can go back if need be. Though McNiel was better than McComb. Hunter just comes back in. Bedendo offers that threat in the air like Weightman.

B: O’Brien Gardner Richards
HB: Dale Keath Daniel
C : Hunter Macrae Williams
HF: McNiel Schache Treloar
F: West Naughton JUH
R: English Bont Libba
Int: Dunkley Scott JJ Bedendo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back