Changes Vs St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hating Golby clearly still the flavour of the month. Could think of ten players worse than him last night. He's a bit rusty, but is an important player and one I'd still be surprised to see dropped. If he was, I reckon it'd only be for a week or two just to get some confidence back before being brought straight back in.

Yeah I can't quite see where the level of the Golby angst has come from.

Had a foundation member sitting next to me last night, and he said 'funny thing is, how I'm feeling about Lisle now a few games into his swap to being a defender is exactly how I felt about Leppa a few games into his transition'. So I'm happy to be a bit more patient with him. Merrett will obviously replace him or Gardiner though.
I remember people used to go off their nut pontificating about how hopeless Craig Bolton was. Soft, panics under pressure, terrible skills, the lot.

Not at all saying that Lisle will turn into Craig Bolton, a great many players do not turn it around. But no matter how proselytising and table thumping some are about him at the moment, I don't think we have enough information on Lisle yet.

I’m reminded of the old basketball adage about how short players only get a small amount of time to prove to a coach they can play, whereas tall players get a long time to prove to a coach they can't play.

We badly need a player like Lisle to stand up for us in the long term. I feel like he may well get an extended period of time to comprehensively prove he is or is not that player.

I think Lisle needs to go out, simple to go work on his skills. TBH, he is doing a decent job down back considering he has only been playing there for 5 weeks. He isnt bad defensively, and I think he reads the ball really well in flight. He is no good ata contested mark, but spoiling is easier. As a 3rd man across reading the ball well he is taking a few uncontested marks as well. He just needs to use the ball better.

I think Lisle is at the cross roads, and Leppa is trying to find a use for him. We have Staker Close and Paps, and brought in Freeman, McGuane and Paine in the off season, whilst none of them have demanded a spot, its depth, and with Goose nearly gone, we done have any depth for defenders bar first year players. I think Close and Lisle were played basically head to head during the preseason for 1 remaining forward spot, the loser was getting switched to defense. Close showed just a touch more in preseason, and is only a 2nd year KPF. We now need to know if Lisle can be that defender so we are trying to play him, and I dont disagree with that. His skills are bad, but they will be looking at more than that, you can tidy up skill level.

I just feel that he is maybe off contract this year and Leppa is trying to make a call on him. Whilst I think Lisle should go back for 2 weeks, just to focus on skills, I wont be surprised to see Merrett come in for Gardiner instead this week.

If u also put into calculations that we will bring in another KPF, either by trade or draft, and have another 2 tall options in the academy this year, you can really see why at about 24 iirc, We need to make a decision on Lisle.

I would put Lisle back in the ressies for a month and have him play a loose man, sweeper, player maker role. Until he plays this role with confidence and sorts his gameday skills out he doesn't get back in the team. at the moment he looks like a player who doesn't want the ball for fear of turning it over

Am I the only one who thinks Lisle has been quite decent in defence? Sure, it all goes bad when he tries to pass the ball, but he hasn't been all that bad.

I think he is doing all right as a defender (defensively), but its his offensive game which is real awful. We have Patful, Clarke, Lisle, Golby and even Adcock at times which are real liabilities with the ball. TOO MANY of these players in the one team. Lisle is by far the worse out of the lot though

I think he is doing all right as a defender (defensively), but its his offensive game which is real awful. We have Patful, Clarke, Lisle, Golby and even Adcock at times which are real liabilities with the ball. TOO MANY of these players in the one team. Lisle is by far the worse out of the lot though

I agree that we have too many of those players, but I don't agree that Lisle is the worst. I think we might cut Clarke a bit too much slack in this area. He has a real tendency to panic and handball to the first player he sees when under pressure, even if that player is in a worse position than he is.

All things being equal I think Clarke vs Lisle is a tough call with Merrett coming back. Unlike Lisle, Clarke can run with Riewoldt for some of the game this week, so hopefully he stays in.

Can't imagine we'd play effectively four key defenders this week, seeing as Patfull is likely to be first choice on the Saints' number one forward.

But then some of Leppitsch's matchups are pretty hard to predict. I never would have seen Gardiner on Martin coming.

I agree that we have too many of those players, but I don't agree that Lisle is the worst. I think we might cut Clarke a bit too much slack in this area. He has a real tendency to panic and handball to the first player he sees when under pressure, even if that player is in a worse position than he is.

All things being equal I think Clarke vs Lisle is a tough call with Merrett coming back. Unlike Lisle, Clarke can run with Riewoldt for some of the game this week, so hopefully he stays in.

Can't imagine we'd play effectively four key defenders this week, seeing as Patfull is likely to be first choice on the Saints' number one forward.

Yeah I see your point on Clarke, but he comes from my area down here in SA so I am Bias :p

But he is in a similar boat to Lisle... one thing he is much better though is the closing speed and spoiling into a contest. Plus he doesn't hesitate to have a crack at the ball and contest. Lisles confidence looks shot in this area and I would imagine he is having sleepless nights before games. But yeah we have heaps of these types. I wouldn't mind Clarke and Lisle to spend some time in the Ressies working on their kicking skills in a playmaker role though

Yeah I see your point on Clarke, but he comes from my area down here in SA so I am Bias :p

But he is in a similar boat to Lisle... one thing he is much better though is the closing speed and spoiling into a contest. Plus he doesn't hesitate to have a crack at the ball and contest. Lisles confidence looks shot in this area and I would imagine he is having sleepless nights before games. But yeah we have heaps of these types. I wouldn't mind Clarke and Lisle to spend some time in the Ressies working on their kicking skills in a playmaker role though

I don't agree with that either, I'm afraid. I've been surprised and impressed by Lisle's propensity to get in front of a marking contest and take the contact from behind in the last two weeks. He seems to be more comfortable throwing his bulk around in the backline than the forwardline, for some reason.

Clarke definitely has better closing speed, and can play a wider range of roles, but he can't impact a marking contest in the way that Lisle can.

Is Patfull struggling for form this year so far or is it just me?
Back to back b & f last two seasons.
Seems a fair form reversal ATM!!
Have I missed anything?
Is he playing a different role from last year?

Have I missed anything?

Yes, definitely having a rough patch. Usually a very reliable spoiler, great intercept marker and quick closer.

One other consideration:

Fair chance Taylor might be spared the long trip to Wellington. Four full games after starting as sub against the Hawks, stats a bit down last week.

I reckon we'll have to give the really raw kids a break every now and then, and with Green coming back it seems like a chance to rotate Taylor out, particularly if Golby stays in the forwardline.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems to be a few in that boat.
Confidence is an issue I think.

Yeah it really does seem to be between the ears across the team. Once we get a bit of a roll on, we look really impressive and can take it to the best sides. Once we get the first win, it'll help a lot and perhaps the structures will hold for longer and our red time issues might disappear.

Yeah it really does seem to be between the ears across the team. Once we get a bit of a roll on, we look really impressive and can take it to the best sides. Once we get the first win, it'll help a lot and perhaps the structures will hold for longer and our red time issues might disappear.
Yeah very much so, we have not found our mojo yet both collectively or individually.

I don't agree with that either, I'm afraid. I've been surprised and impressed by Lisle's propensity to get in front of a marking contest and take the contact from behind in the last two weeks. He seems to be more comfortable throwing his bulk around in the backline than the forwardline, for some reason.

Clarke definitely has better closing speed, and can play a wider range of roles, but he can't impact a marking contest in the way that Lisle can.

Main area I was talking about was contested ball (worded poorly). He looks beaten before he gets his hands on the ball. He doesn't hit the loose ball with any confidence and plays the boundary far to much when he has a chance and position to regain possession for the team. Seems to panic atm

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I really think we should be able to win against St Kilda next week. Last year they were woeful and their only 2 wins hae come from the 2 worst teams in melb and gws.

Minimal changes l assume. maybe make taylor or aish a sub.
In: merret, green
Out: Lisle, golby

We need to get a win for confidence, the supporters and to stop the journos from melbourne, as well as to help the kids remain here in brisbane. If we keep losing, l have a real fear of them leaving for better success. I want them all to stay especially robbo, aish, taylor and cutler.

I really think we should be able to win against St Kilda next week. Last year they were woeful and their only 2 wins hae come from the 2 worst teams in melb and gws.

Minimal changes l assume. maybe make taylor or aish a sub.
In: merret, green
Out: Lisle, golby

We need to get a win for confidence, the supporters and to stop the journos from melbourne, as well as to help the kids remain here in brisbane. If we keep losing, l have a real fear of them leaving for better success. I want them all to stay especially robbo, aish, taylor and cutler.

Has Green been named in the reserves this week?

not sure, l dont follow the reserves closely. I thought this hamstring was only supposed to be 1 week but so far it has stretched to 2 weeks. I wouldnt have thought he needed to be in the reserves as he has only missed 2 weeks.
Here now
No not playing
Boys doing really well
Up by 5 goals final term
Freeman clunking some great contested marks
Close also

I just feel that he is maybe off contract this year and Leppa is trying to make a call on him.

I hope this is the case and it is the catalyst for him to lift his intensity and make him a regular senior. I like that leppa is giving him a chance up back. Given his age and years in the system he probably should be more advanced than what he is, but I feel he has, at least the physical attributes to make a decent KPP. If he can turn it around, and become a regular, taking into account his age and the age of the younger group of KPP, and the older crew, he could be handy to have around over the next few years.

Last edited:
Have I missed anything?
My opinion is that the defence has performed very well over the last couple of seasons while generally under pressure and are now feeling the pinch from that constant pressure. Lets be honest the ball rebounds back from the mids with far too much ease. I suspect that our B & F is, along with the rest of the backs, finally crumbling.

I was frustrated with lisle, and i could tell he wasnt enjoying himself out there. But in his defense he doesnt have much support. I dont know what has happened down that end, but they are really struggling. There is little support for the man with the ball. At the moment I cant see us winning game until the defense is settled. Personally, I think adcock has a lot on his plate at the moment, and merret back should settle things....hopefully. I would also bring goose back, we need to settle the defense. Anyway, thats where i think the lions should focus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back