Teams Cincinnati Bengals - Who Dey

Remove this Banner Ad

No Consensus on Bengals Needs

Daniel Jeremiah, who was a former scout with the Ravens and Browns, and Charles Davis have the Bengals selecting LSU DE Sam Montgomery. Gil Brandt also has them taking an LSU defensive end, but it is Barkevious Mingo. Two have the Bengals taking a linebacker — Bucky Brooks has Oregon OLB Dion Jordan and Josh Norris opts for Kansas State’s Arthur Brown.

Only two people — NFL Network’s Albert Breer and Kiper — have the Bengals going offense. Breer has Clemson WR DeAndre Hawkins coming to Cincinnati and Kiper’s choice is Wisconsin RB Montee Ball.

When it comes to first mock drafts and who gets selected 99 days from now, it doesn’t pan out. Kiper’s first mock the last three times had them taking Baylor OT Jason Smith in 2009, Florida TE Aaron Hernandez in 2010, Clemson DE DeQuan Bowers in 2011 and Nebraska CB Alfonzo Dennard and Miami (Fl.) running back Lamar Miller last year.

Said Kiper about Ball: “In terms of pure draft value, Ball might be a bit of a reach on my board at this spot, but in terms of fit, it’s hard to find a better one among teams drafting in this range.”

I haven’t seen much of Ball yet, but he reminds me of BenJarvus Green-Ellis. The Bengals need a back with more of an outside threat who can also catch the ball out of the backfield, which isn’t Ball’s strong suit.

In a column last month on NFL.com, Brooks said of Ball: “Although he still doesn’t boast the home-run speed that some offensive coordinators desire in a No. 1 back, his ability to pick up tough yards when the games is hanging in the balance is more important.” The Bengals have that type of running back right now in Green-Ellis.

If you were to go with the biggest needs right now, they would be linebacker, safety, depth at cornerback and running back. All of that evolves though depending on what happens in free agency. As Kiper noted during a teleconference today, this draft is extremely deep at the top with front seven defensive players.

As has been the case in previous years, The Enquirer’s first mock draft will be posted the day after the NFL Scouting Combine.

Eifert is a surprise, but I would love to see the Bengals doing more in a two TE set. Eifert and Gresham working underneath, with Green and Sanu/ Hawkins deeper and Green-Ellis in the backfield, real heavy, NFC north physical play even in the passing game.

Eifert is a surprise, but I would love to see the Bengals doing more in a two TE set. Eifert and Gresham working underneath, with Green and Sanu/ Hawkins deeper and Green-Ellis in the backfield, real heavy, NFC north physical play even in the passing game.

I think you'll be more surprised that the Cincy Community Poll got it right!! :p I was quite impressed. Gresham is a solid TE in himself. Talking a leaf out of BB is just the tonic to keep the chains moving. They'll need help in the secondary in which R2 of the draft will be feature position I'd say. Taking Lacy could be a worthy consolation if he is still there.

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2013/4/25/4268236/community-poll-bengals-select-tyler-eifert

So Emory Hunt says that the Bengals have a potential T.O. (talent wise) in their 2013 draft class ...and the funny one is who the Bengals picked up as an undrafted FA. from the Hoosiers...yes Hoosiers not Hooters :D But the bottom line remains that Emory isn't convinced with Gio Bernard & Magnus Hunt as early picks.

Here's "The Czar's" predictions for top 10 RB prospects out of the 2010 NFL Draft

He has poor scouting ability imo (1/10 right)

I think in his defence, he nailed a few there at the top end.. Former Lions RB J Best had bad luck being injury prone in the pros, Dwyer is still on the Steelers roster with a couple games 100+ rushing under his belt (it's how he is used), Spiller we already know and he did talk up DeMarco Murray as well.:thumbsu: That's 3!! Just like anything GG... there are many players in FA who didn't get drafted that perhaps were considered but not picked for a trivial reason perhaps. Even HC's make lame arse play calls on the best of days. Some players are just late developers. It's a scratch n' smell exercise with trying guys out and see what feels good 'at the time'... remember that it doesn't take much for a team to decide against a player because of indifference whether it's attitude or 'not correct' on the day in training practise.

ll-Pro receiver A.J. Green twisted his left knee while trying to make a sideline catch during the Cincinnati Bengals' first practice of training camp on Thursday, then walked to the trainer's room for treatment.
Green planted his left foot and and twisted the knee while reaching for the ball, which deflected off his upper arm. He landed hard, rolled onto his back and grabbed the knee before putting his hands on the top of his helmet in pain.
Green stayed down for a couple of minutes while a trainer examined the knee and a crew filming for HBO's "Hard Knocks" show sped to the spot. He got up, walked about 20 yards, then stopped and grabbed the knee again. Finally, he headed for the locker room without assistance.
The injury occurred during the last half-hour of practice.
"I think he's fine," coach Marvin Lewis said. "They went inside just so they can take a look, but I think he's fine."

The Bengals' most valuable player was trying to make an over-the-shoulder catch with cornerback Terence Newman guarding him along the sideline. Newman lightly pushed Green in the back he stretched to try for an extraordinary catch.
"He just twisted himself, one of A.J.'s contortions," Lewis said.
Right tackle Andre Smith was back with the Bengals for the start of camp, but couldn't practice because of an injured calf. Smith, whose weight was listed at 342 pounds, expects to practice on Sunday.
Smith signed a three-year contract last April, allowing the Bengals to keep their offensive line intact. He was the only one who missed all of the team's offseason workouts and a mandatory minicamp because of a personal issue. He had to watch practice on Thursday because of the calf injury.
"Hopefully I'll be back on Sunday," said Smith, wearing a floppy white sun hat. "I missed my team (in the offseason), most definitely, but as I told Marvin, I had some personal things I had to take care of. That's pretty much it. Everything's fine. No more hiccups. I'll be good."
The coaches added things to the playbook in the offseason, and Smith wasn't around to learn and practice them. He thinks he can catch up quickly.
"I don't have anything to worry about when it comes to football," Smith said. "I pick up things really fast."
His teammates were glad that he showed up for the start of camp so he could start catching up on what he missed.
"It is important," quarterback Andy Dalton said. "He wasn't here for OTAs and minicamp. I don't know what the timetable is on him but I'm sure he will be back soon. It will be good for him to be playing football again.
"We've got to get everybody out there."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9510093/aj-green-cincinnati-bengals-twists-knee-practice

I love Giovani Bernard. Not convinced we can go all the way with Dalton as quarterback but exciting times ahead.

I love Giovani Bernard. Not convinced we can go all the way with Dalton as quarterback but exciting times ahead.

If the ravens can go all the way with Flacco we can get there with Dalton.

Seriously though, Eifert, Gresham, Sanu, AJ, and Gio there are just so,many weapons for him to go to. The paradox being that this is the AFC North, and we will be most successful if he doesn't throw too much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Defence really stood up against the pats today - ended Brady's touchdown streak in the process:thumbsu:

The Bengals are notorious for having a downer the following week of a surprise win... already occurred last week vs the Browns after their stunning win over the Pack. Bills seem to have the wood over Cinci winning 10 of their last 11 games. :)

Plus they're going to need to find some offence before too much longer.

HC Marv Lewis has been there a mighty long time now so I don't think he'll be losing sleep on a low scoring victory. Considering that the Bengals had 21 first downs today (btw Indy had just 20 First downs and scored more than double) vs NE's 15 can tell you something that the Bengals O is fine and even though they were below .500 in the third downs, it's better than what the Pats served up.. 1-12.. :eek: less than 10% conversion!! That's pathetic!! hang on, Tom Brady QB.. oops.. just a bad day at the office. Still pathetic.

Big win over the chargers maintains our buffer in the division which we can wrap up with wins over Pittsburgh and Baltimore

Beat the colts next week at home and it sets us up for the 3rd seed in the playoffs plus we keep pressure on the pats for the 2nd seed since we hold the tiebreak over them

To think I started supporting them when they had boomer and Ickey running around for them and just fell short in the Super Bowl against the niners. Who would know they wouldn't have another playoff win from around that time

Hoping the drought can be broken this morning

Remove this Banner Ad

Back