Clarke Fined for Sledging Anderson

Remove this Banner Ad

Good letter in the Oz yesterday by former Test umpire Lou Rowan.
THE time has come for those in control of cricket to take a look at where this once noble game is now heading.
The great captains of the past were never party to the conduct we see today, conduct that insults the game itself. There is nothing wrong with the game but there is a lot wrong with the administration when the Test captain threatens to break the arm of an opposition tailender.
Sledging was not a feature in any first-class game I umpired between 1958 and 1972 which included 26 Tests. I regard sledgers as failures who rely on such tactics because they see their playing skills as suspect and seek an advantage. Only insecure people see the need to indulge in such repulsive conduct. They scorn and spit on the best traditions and memories of a once great sport.
There are grounds for believing umpires today are weak in allowing this to happen. Aren't they custodians of fair and unfair play? How could it be fair to have fielders led by a captain who threatens injury to an opponent?
Lou Rowan, Yangan, Qld
- See more at: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/opi...y-fn558imw-1226773745722#sthash.qRkGgyqC.dpuf

Well, I 'd certainly agree with him about the umpires. But it's not just sledging, the umps let all-sorts of things go, blatant time-wasting, uninjured players going off when they feel like it, over-appealing, failure to appeal, it looks like open slather out there most of the time.

Am I the only one that doesn't actually consider what Clarke said to be sledging anyway? He clearly said something in the heat of the moment, in defence of one of his players. I'm sure there's been things said just as bad over the years when tempers have boiled over.

If Clarke was yelling that stuff from second slip while Anderson was standing there doing nothing - that's sledging.

Well, I 'd certainly agree with him about the umpires. But it's not just sledging, the umps let all-sorts of things go, blatant time-wasting, uninjured players going off when they feel like it, over-appealing, failure to appeal, it looks like open slather out there most of the time.

Agree completely.

The Umpires are so timid these days, the players basically treat them with contempt.

His comments are a little disingenuous though, Clarke was clearly referring to Johnson's bowling, not actually threatening to break his arm.

Boo hoo. Do you actually assume a guy who has taken 8/60, 5/26 on Indian pitches, and 7/40 is insecure about his own abilities? I don't mean to sound "insecure", but it's amazing how often these articles seem to come about when we do it. If its done to us we're "copping our own medicine". What a load of tripe. Both teams are co-ordinated enough academically to know whats accepted and what isn't. England just got beaten, next test it could be Australia. But I doubt it.

I regard sledgers as failures who rely on such tactics because they see their playing skills as suspect and seek an advantage. Only insecure people see the need to indulge in such repulsive conduct. They scorn and spit on the best traditions and memories of a once great sport.

Absolute rubbish. Seeking an advantage within the rules is a sign of wanting to win, not of being insecure in your own ability. It's not game where you just have to reach a certain level of ability and then coast on it, you're always aiming to be more effective. His argument there is simply a non sequitur. I also have to guess that this gentleman has never actually played sport in earnest - when your heart is really in the contest you can get fired up. Sledging is just as much an emotional reaction to the situation as it is some kind of calculated move to gain an advantage, and for some that's 100% of what it is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back