Media ClarkeMedia presents: The SFA Math Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

It's not that hard.

A dude 100s of years ago named Pythagoras proved that you could determine the length of a side of a triangle as long as you knew the other two side lengths with a simple formula:

a^2 = b^2 + c^2

In this case, we know side a is x, side b is 3 and side c is 4. So subbing in we get

x^2 = 3^2 +4^2
x^2 = 9+16
x^2= 25

To make x^2 into x you take the squareroot. But what you do to one side must be done to the other

Sqrt(x^2) = sqrt(25)
x=5

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_theorem

Anyone wanting to learn higher level stuff, just ask.
We did imaginary numbers, polar co-ordinates and integrals of trig functions in my final year of school

It's not that hard.

A dude 100s of years ago named Pythagoras proved that you could determine the length of a side of a triangle as long as you knew the other two side lengths with a simple formula:

a^2 = b^2 + c^2

In this case, we know side a is x, side b is 3 and side c is 4. So subbing in we get

x^2 = 3^2 +4^2
x^2 = 9+16
x^2= 25

To make x^2 into x you take the squareroot. But what you do to one side must be done to the other

Sqrt(x^2) = sqrt(25)
x=5

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_theorem

4fe6be62d3cc37151b8f2755e344158af9c5c47364285b1bcf1c8d41660a8c97.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But sqrt(-s**t) =/= s**t
Squaring it doesn't make s**t real.
-s**t is still real as long as s,h,i,t =/= an imaginary number or 3 of them aren't imaginary. The negative shouldn't matter. You're probably right though

-s**t is still real as long as s,h,i,t =/= an imaginary number or 3 of them aren't imaginary. The negative shouldn't matter. You're probably right though
Yeah but the squaring isn't what is making s**t real, s**t is always real there.

I'm being pretty pedantic.

Yeah but the squaring isn't what is making s**t real, s**t is always real there.

I'm being pretty pedantic.
"In math you are either right or wrong. No close, no really got it, no almost. Correct or wrong"
- A Math teacher I had

Paraphrasing obviously

Multiplying s**t by i would make s**t real, if s**t was imaginary.

"In math you are either right or wrong. No close, no really got it, no almost. Correct or wrong"
- A Math teacher I had

Paraphrasing obviously

Hmm but then you're redefining what s**t is.

- A Math teacher I had

Paraphrasing obviously

That's why I did three English subjects at Year 12 and no Maths. In English being a great BS artist gets you top marks.

Hmm but then you're redefining what s**t is.
But it still makes it real though?

That's why I did three English subjects at Year 12 and no Maths. In English being a great BS artist gets you top marks.
What pissed me off was how it was supposed to be like that, but I'd have slightly controversial stance or a difference to the norm and get punished for it no matter how much evidence I provided from texts

But it still makes it real though?
I suppose you're right, yeah.

but I'd have slightly controversial stance or a difference to the norm and get punished for it no matter how much evidence I provided from texts
My experience with English was that if your opinion didn't line up with the marker's, unlucky, you lose marks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back