Clarko on AFL 360 23/4/14

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 5, 2007
Gippsland, Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool, Nashville predators
Seriously, the passion this guy has for footy is infectious. Really enjoy listening to him talk about the game. You can see he really loves talking about it, loves the romanticism of the past, but also looks towards the future and how the game can evolve.

Also, nice to see him as the Australian coach.

Did anyone watch AFL 360 tonight, they showed B&W footage of AFL played overseas in England as an exhibition in the early 1900s, I would be grateful if anyone would know where to find this, they said it is on youtube, but I cannot begin to know how to find this?

I am fascinated to see how much our game has evolved from that time.

Thank you.

Did anyone watch AFL 360 tonight, they showed B&W footage of AFL played overseas in England as an exhibition in the early 1900s, I would be grateful if anyone would know where to find this, they said it is on youtube, but I cannot begin to know how to find this?

I am fascinated to see how much our game has evolved from that time.

Thank you.

Just had a quick look and could only find this from the 1900s, the 1909 Grand Final between Carlton and South Melbourne.

Just had a quick look and could only find this form the 1900s, the 1909 Grand Final between Carlton and South Melbourne.

Thanks mate, I think this rare footage is just so invaluable. This is our heritage and the embryonic beginnings of the game we all love.

When the new Adelaide Oval was being built I enjoyed viewing the old photos of how AO used to look like. I have seen a few painted pictures of the MCG which showed that there was tree near the boundary line with spectators sitting on it viewing the game.

I have to say that clarkson on 360 tonight wasmone of the better interviews ive seen inrecent years. His passion and genuine excitement for the game was fantastic to listen to. If only all the coaches and administrators shared that love for the game.

Congrats hawks fans.

Thanks mate, I think this rare footage is just so invaluable. This is our heritage and the embryonic beginnings of the game we all love.

When the new Adelaide Oval was being built I enjoyed viewing the old photos of how AO used to look like. I have seen a few painted pictures of the MCG which showed that there was tree near the boundary line with spectators sitting on it viewing the game.

I love it too :) There is also this excellent documentary with lots of early footage, it shows stills of your friends watching from the tree :D

Edit: Also includes some footage from an exhibition match in London in 1918 which may be what you were looking for GROTTO (about the 29 minute mark).

/threadnap

Have not seen the Clarko interview but it sounds good :thumbsu:

Last edited:
What foxtel should have done in the offseason is have all 18 coaches sitting around the table discussing various topics about the game with one another.

That would be a fascinating doco to watch. I would love to know their views about what is good and bad about the modern game.

For me these people, their opinions should matter most in being pivotal about the rules and state of the game.

Just had a quick look and could only find this from the 1900s, the 1909 Grand Final between Carlton and South Melbourne.

10minutes of footy without a score review? I call bullshit.

In watching tonight AFL 360 I have to say I am surprised that players and coaches want to play and be involved in these exhibition games. I just view them as a bastardization of the game we love. I also hate with a passion the thuggery involved in those games. I understand that Clarko has to endorse it but I wonder just how relevant these games are.

I would rather a State of Origin Carnival then to watch the international series. For you Victorians how awesome would it be to see a Victorian midfield of Ablett, Dangerfield and Fyfe in the middle at the MCG. But yet they go with playing with a round ball with soccer goal posts on a rectangular ground.

I dont understand what pride is in representing your country in a game that only about 50 people in the world play.:rolleyes:

What the AFL should try to do, is try and establish a team in NZ, TAS and NT, then waste money on a product that few people care about.

I will admit that I am a Hawthorn dispiser, but I thoroughly enjoyed his interview. He is likable when he isnt irking me at a Geelong Vs Hawthorn match!

You should like him, he is always blowing smoke up Geelongs arse, unlike Scott with his "they kick very short sometimes only 10-12M" wonder what his agenda is there, w***er.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

clarko is actually starting to "say something" now, i believe he feels he can as a two-time prem coach - he seems to have stopped the company lines at every interview which is great to see and these chats are all the better for it
Did anyone else notice how much his voice sound like Robbo's? Clearly what comes out of his mouth is more intelligent than Robbo, but when I was out of the room I heard them both and thought they spoke very similarly (is that a word?).

Scary.

So the games too defensive so they punish the attacking team ?

Mayby im missing something

Of course you are - we instigated this latest craze. it must be punished. It was fine when it was mainly us because all and sundry believed it was a useless gameplan. Now that it has netted a flag and narrowly lost a second all the other coaches are trying to get on the bandwagon. Problem is they have a "me too" attitude and can't implement it as well as we do so now it seems ugly. I just hope Clarko is coming up with the next game plan for us to win a flag because sure as s**t they will find a way to close this one down.

Before the change any metered distances, they should teach the umpires just far 15 metres is. This year I've lost count of the number of times players have taken 13 - 15 steps without a bounce. And, the number of ten metre passes, not only ours, have been incredible. Also some 20 metre kicks, that shoild have been allowed have been called play on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back