Opinion Coach: James Hird

Essendon supporters only - Should James Hird be sacked?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you want to write off 2016 as well? The new coach will need to learn about the new players, teach his game plan etc.

The players are not playing for Hird. We will be annihilated game after game for the remainder of the year. Our membership will collapse with little hope of improvement.

This is your preference?

The same people saying 'sack the coach, he's not playing the kids' are the same people who are saying 'sack the coach we're losing'.

I say keep the coach, enforce strict KPIs upon him and overhaul our diabolical selection policies.

So you want to write off 2016 as well? The new coach will need to learn about the new players, teach his game plan etc.

The players are not playing for Hird. We will be annihilated game after game for the remainder of the year. Our membership will collapse with little hope of improvement.

This is your preference?

Who are you talking to?

This is your preference?

I don't think they'll play for a new coach either. They're just shot.

All we'll end up with is Harvey for the next 9 games and a group of further disillusioned players.

Not to mention we have no hope of attracting a decent coach until WADA is done.

I reckon we'll be annihilated anyway.

I say keep the coach, enforce strict KPIs upon him and overhaul our diabolical selection policies.
After watching the VFL game, I don't see anything to suggest that they missed out on a player that would have made a difference. (Although I would have gone with Giles over Steinberg)

Selection is different to 'not playing the kids'. Yes selection has been an issue - most notably with the rucks.

The same people saying 'sack the coach, he's not playing the kids' are the same people who are saying 'sack the coach we're losing'.
There is losing and there is losing. Do you understand that we got humiliated by the 14th team on the ladder by 110 points.

A few years ago, Bailey got sacked for Demons getting thrashed by Geelong (a super team) at Geelong.

This loss is much worse. Jobes 200th and a home game.

an absolute disgrace!!!!!

After watching the VFL game, I don't see anything to suggest that they missed out on a player that would have made a difference. (Although I would have gone with Giles over Steinberg)

Selection is different to 'not playing the kids'. Yes selection has been an issue - most notably with the rucks.

And our use of the sub, our inflexible idea of what our best 22 is..... we have performed poorly, very poorly at the selection table.

There is losing and there is losing. Do you understand that we got humiliated by the 14th team on the ladder by 110 points.

A few years ago, Bailey got sacked for Demons getting thrashed by Geelong (a super team) at Geelong.

This loss is much worse. Jobes 200th and a home game.

an absolute disgrace!!!!!

We didn't get beaten by last years St Kilda team, they have improved this year and where they finished last year has no bearing on what we do. Yes, the loss was bad, your post is silly if you suggest that I think it wasn't? Sacking the coach mid-season is not the best way forward though.

We didn't get beaten by last years St Kilda team, they have improved this year and where they finished last year has no bearing on what we do. Yes, the loss was bad, your post is silly if you suggest that I think it wasn't? Sacking the coach mid-season is not the best way forward though.
So the remainder of 2015 is a write off. People thought the same of Carlton and Malthouse. Carlton should have kept him until the end of the year?

I have a large number of friends and family that are Bomber supporters. I doubt any will attend any games where the team is going to lose by 100 points.

What do we expect next week, an 80 point loss to Melbourne?

I was referring to this years StKilda team, not last years. Prior to the game they sat 14th on the ladder. We were 13th.

Unfortunately, I don't think there's much more that Hird can do at present. Yesterday's performance has highlighted an abundance of negatives, but one positive is that there should be no more conjecture as to where we're at as a football side.

Finals are out of the equation, and now Hird can stop trying to save this season in the hope that we'll magically see some semblance of finals action. Start resting some of the older blokes that are carrying niggles or who are depleted of passion or the will to play.

Rotate the kids and give them some senior experience - I'm talking Laverde, Langford, Dalgleish, Fantasia when he returns from injury. Don't play them all at once, but gift them games here and there so that we get a glimpse of the future whilst giving them a tantalizing taste of the big league. Keep giving Kav an extended run and maybe give him a specific role to run with the oppositions best midfielder. He'll get toweled up on occasions but it should highlight the required work ethic to make it. Maybe it will click?

If Hird plays the kids and makes the hard calls, I'll back him in. A new coach may ultimately be what's needed and what's best for the club, but if it happens now, it's nothing more than a short term fix. The real issue is WADA and the fact that we're mentally and emotionally shot to pieces right now. Hird departing isn't going to make that suddenly go away.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unfortunately, I don't think there's much more that Hird can do at present. Yesterday's performance has highlighted an abundance of negatives, but one positive is that there should be no more conjecture as to where we're at as a football side.

Finals are out of the equation, and now Hird can stop trying to save this season in the hope that we'll magically see some semblance of finals action. Start resting some of the older blokes that are carrying niggles or who are depleted of passion or the will to play.

Rotate the kids and give them some senior experience - I'm talking Laverde, Langford, Dalgleish, Fantasia when he returns from injury. Don't play them all at once, but gift them games here and there so that we get a glimpse of the future whilst giving them a tantalizing taste of the big league. Keep giving Kav an extended run and maybe give him a specific role to run with the oppositions best midfielder. He'll get toweled up on occasions but it should highlight the required work ethic to make it. Maybe it will click?

If Hird plays the kids and makes the hard calls, I'll back him in. A new coach may ultimately be what's needed and what's best for the club, but if it happens now, it's nothing more than a short term fix. The real issue is WADA and the fact that we're mentally and emotionally shot to pieces right now. Hird departing isn't going to make that suddenly go away.
Very well said.

After the only game I have ever known about where the majority of the players did not try, did not make any sort of effort, you'd expect some sort of emotion. Some sort of anger, anger at the team. Even during the game he didn't seem to do more than go through the motions. At 3/4 time Hird should of given the biggest spray of all time. Instead he just calmly says a few words and holds up the whiteboard for the players to see their positions. I mean, you'd expect him to do something. It seems like he's just going through the motions.
I agree with this. I know every coach and person has different styles of management and how they handle a pressure situation but it really does look from the outside like he is going through the motions. Every time a goal is kicked or a turnover occurs the camera goes to him and he just stares out to the ground. I know it seems like a petty thing to bring up but it wouldn't hurt to outwardly show a bit of passion.

Playing this s**t is never ok but it is understandable however getting it wrong with selections time and time again is not just play giles and smack why the * re shape the whole backline the only positive of this season ffs

There's no benefit in sacking Hird now. But a review of the football department can start now and conclude not long after the season finishes so that if we do decide a new coach is necessary, we reform the whole department when we do it. This would also help a new coach participate in the appointment of assistants, drafting, trading etc.

Ideally WADA will be sorted out by the end of the season too and we can start with a clean slate. New football dept, new coach, just upside.

Hird does appear to be in disbelief that the team and plan he is trying to run isn't working. It's almost cognitive dissonance. "How can this be, I'm a brilliant coach and have a bunch of kids that I've trained up and selected brilliantly".

There's no benefit in sacking Hird now. But a review of the football department can start now and conclude not long after the season finishes so that if we do decide a new coach is necessary, we reform the whole department when we do it. This would also help a new coach participate in the appointment of assistants, drafting, trading etc.

Ideally WADA will be sorted out by the end of the season too and we can start with a clean slate. New football dept, new coach, just upside.

Hird does appear to be in disbelief that the team and plan he is trying to run isn't working. It's almost cognitive dissonance. "How can this be, I'm a brilliant coach and have a bunch of kids that I've trained up and selected brilliantly".

I agree with this. It would be good if the reviewers could watch it in action. They could see the coaching, sports science and medical stuff now. They could observe all parts of match day. They could sit in on meeting regards list management because that will be ramping up now that the interstate carnival is finished.

It could also be used to give feedback to all sections of the football department as it goes along. Also if the WADA thing dissipates this week then we could move on from Hird more easily.

To hang in there with Hird all this time through all this turmoil with every wiesel journalist calling for his head every day and then sack him midway through his contract is just crazy.

And whatever is in his contract has to be adhered to regardless of the accepted practice of breaking contracts in the AFL.

Not much Hird can do?

Perhaps he can inform players how to break a man on man press. Where to run to receive the pass, which btw is away from your opponent. Like you would teach an under 15 team.

Try playing a ruckman (Giles) so Daniher is not completely stuffed by running up and down the entire length of the ground by half time. And give our midfield some chance.

Last edited:
To hang in there with Hird all this time through all this turmoil with every wiesel journalist calling for his head every day and then sack him midway through his contract is just crazy.

And whatever is in his contract has to be adhered to regardless of the accepted practice of breaking contracts in the AFL.
Then that's probably what we'll do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back