Coaching Roundabout - Coaching structure for 2015 finalised

Remove this Banner Ad

I think I want Paul Little to step aside.
Has he ever made a good decision for the club?

If someone steps into an unwinnable situation alot of their decisions may look bad. Its important to look at what they could have done differently that would have achieved a better outcome.

In Little's case there probably isnt too much more he could have done. (hindsight doesnt count)

The hardest part about last night was listening to the club preach family, and unity, loyalty and that they will never fall apart. All the while not even acknowledging that the current coach was not there, that he had been banned from attending. That doesnt sit well with me, instead of trying to sell hope to us, just tell us the truth, be honest.
I hate to do it but look at Collingwood, they held an open forum for the supporters to question the club, they got a pretty savage response but you can respect what they did, and im sure their fans do too.
Instead of being open, telling us that James will be sacked, telling us what is going on behind the scenes we get more sales pitch. Didnt like it, i loved Bomber's speech in principle, and he sounded very passionate and it was a great show but if you look at what is going on it was hollow, hard to accept that the club stands for any of that when it avoids the issues surrounding its coach. If they didnt want to do it at the b&f then it should have been addressed beforehand, its obviously been decided what is going to occur otherwise he wouldnt have been uninvited, why not be open with us?

With all the noise from people in the industry stating unreservedly that Hird would not coach next year, maybe he never was going to? Would also explain why he is going to appeal, if he something was going to stop him from coaching next year then maybe this is the only play he has left.

If someone steps into an unwinnable situation alot of their decisions may look bad. Its important to look at what they could have done differently that would have achieved a better outcome.

In Little's case there probably isnt too much more he could have done. (hindsight doesnt count)

The hardest part about last night was listening to the club preach family, and unity, loyalty and that they will never fall apart. All the while not even acknowledging that the current coach was not there, that he had been banned from attending. That doesnt sit well with me, instead of trying to sell hope to us, just tell us the truth, be honest.
I hate to do it but look at Collingwood, they held an open forum for the supporters to question the club, they got a pretty savage response but you can respect what they did, and im sure their fans do too.
Instead of being open, telling us that James will be sacked, telling us what is going on behind the scenes we get more sales pitch. Didnt like it, i loved Bomber's speech in principle, and he sounded very passionate and it was a great show but if you look at what is going on it was hollow, hard to accept that the club stands for any of that when it avoids the issues surrounding its coach. If they didnt want to do it at the b&f then it should have been addressed beforehand, its obviously been decided what is going to occur otherwise he wouldnt have been uninvited, why not be open with us?

With all the noise from people in the industry stating unreservedly that Hird would not coach next year, maybe he never was going to? Would also explain why he is going to appeal, if he something was going to stop him from coaching next year then maybe this is the only play he has left.

Paul Little spent more time talking about Yakult's sponsorship nous than James Hird. I've honestly just had enough.

Why would they stop him from attending the Crichton medal? That's just bloody mean and embarrassing for our club.

Even if they do sack him today.....

Anyone who hands over money year after year for a board to backflip on decisions and piss it all away willy nilly is an idiot. And opting out of a club which continues to make decisions which go against your beliefs, and represent what is best for brand AFL and not the club itself just seems sensible.
Agreed. The problem with renewing memberships when the club makes poor decisions (such as sacking James Hird) is that it provides positive reinforcement for those poor decisions.

Not renewing membership is one way of expressing disapproval.

Even aside from that, contributing money to a club that treats someone like James Hird as poorly as it has is something that I just can't bring myself to do.

They say you shouldn't make rash decisions when you are emotional, but its a lesson I've never been able to put into practice.

But yes I will be cancelling my membership today if they sack hird, and it will make me feel just a little bit better.

The coach ignoring the players pleas to help them speed up the process is hardly going to help the working relationship and in view is terminal.
He probably ignores the players when they ask him if they can have an easy pre-season too. Not sure if you'd sack him for it though.

Agreed. The problem with renewing memberships when the club makes poor decisions (such as sacking James Hird) is that it provides positive reinforcement for those poor decisions.

Not renewing membership is one way of expressing disapproval.

Even aside from that, contributing money to a club that treats someone like James Hird as poorly as it has is something that I just can't bring myself to do.

They say you shouldn't make rash decisions when you are emotional, but its a lesson I've never been able to put into practice.

But yes I will be cancelling my membership today if they sack hird, and it will make me feel just a little bit better.

Same, hoping this is not my last few hours as an Essendon member.

Sorry if I'm posting too much, but another factor - wasn't bomber burnt out whilst at Geelong?

If so, he wont be around at Essendon for long. Might get a few years out of him. IF he wasn't burnt out, then he lied which means he could do the same thing to Essendon again.

Hird could coach for 20 years, and I actually think the team players better with him as coach.

We won 2 more games last year with Hird than this year, despite the players having an extra year of experience/development.

I love Bomber and Hird.

Far out Bomber must be amazed at how much personal gain he's achieved by bringing Dank and Robinson to the club. Pity it's destroyed our club

Ok. I'm around these parts tonight. Just wanta say that I will absolutely no tolerance for any trolling.

Home team rules apply. And that's Essendon.

Want to get into a spirited debate about coaching, go to another board. Not here. Not tonight.

If I have the remotest sniff of trolling I will card.

Essendon supporters only pal. ;)

Sorry if I'm posting too much, but another factor - wasn't bomber burnt out whilst at Geelong?

If so, he wont be around at Essendon for long. Might get a few years out of him. IF he wasn't burnt out, then he lied which means he could do the same thing to Essendon again.

Hird could coach for 20 years, and I actually think the team players better with him as coach.

We won 2 more games last year with Hird than this year, despite the players having an extra year of experience/development.

I love Bomber and Hird.

Far out Bomber must be amazed at how much personal gain he's achieved by bringing Dank and Robinson to the club. Pity it's destroyed our club

These a key points. What happens say mid 2016 if Thompson says nah sorry guys I've had enough I'm burnt out and lost the passion. We are screwed and will end up with a coach like Knights again :eek:

Could be a silly question but does anyone know when the emergency board meeting is scheduled to occur?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is another cluster* and terribly managed by our club. Surely had they been proactive with the messaging, it would've been easier for James to appeal, the club to reinstate Bomber as interim coach while James focused on sorting his pride and everyone to live happily ever after. Instead we let the media get out of control and run the narrative.

I'm also left wondering whether Ryder leaving is because he knew James wouldn't be there.

I've been a member every year since I was 5 years old, and now I have to consider whether I'm going to financially support a club who sacks employees for exercising their legal right to clear their own name.

Regardless of whether Hird should have gone for other things, for him, or anyone, to go for this is an absolute ******* disgrace.

This EGM cannot come soon enough.

I've been a member every year since I was 5 years old, and now I have to consider whether I'm going to financially support a club who sacks employees for exercising their legal right to clear their own name.

Regardless of whether Hird should have gone for other things, for him, or anyone, to go for this is an absolute ******* disgrace.

This EGM cannot come soon enough.
This.

Greg Denham swearing black & blue he knows for fact that Bomber had committed to the Suns yesterday before all the appeal stuff broke.

If Hird is gone, we'd be better off with Bomber at the Suns, but we all know Bomber's word means jackshit.

And that'd be a sad indictment on our supporters. Honestly, losing 20k members purely due to Hird's departure would be more embarrassing than the entire supplements saga put together. No one person is bigger than the Essendon Football Club.

I'm not sure it is purely because of Hird's departure, but more the absolutely cocked up way this has been mismanaged by the board. Self report, Ziggy report, lay down to the AFL, accept the worst punishments ever for trumped up accusations, refuse to allow the accused the opportunity to defend themselves. Then grandstand and give a guy a 2 year contract extension immediately after he has been suspended for 12 months. Say he'll be back, promise the supporters and players he'll be back, and also gag him from speaking out when being attacked by the media. Take ASADA to court, then sack a guy for potentially appealing the decision - something that club has clearly been considering themselves, right up until yesterday, when they announced they wouldn't... on the day of the ******* best and fairest awards night.

No one person is bigger than the club, but this club is behaving like a schizophrenic muppet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back