COLA is and was AFL smokescreen

Remove this Banner Ad

Why does the AFL care if people in the South like Sydney or not?
It's the neutral team effect. Like Modified Dog, I was a big fan of the Brisbane Lions in the early 00s. They beat Collingwood, kept Eddie unhappy. Just about everyone loved them. When your own team is s**t, it's good to have a team you can support that beats the clubs you hate.

People who are footy mad in Melbourne will get behind the Swans/Lions in a GF against Collingwood or Hawthorn because they want to see those teams lose.

No of course it's not A TROLL. :rolleyes:

What sort of business were you in ? Brothel or sweat shop ? Going by your current location as far as business goes you obviously could not run a piss up in a brewery. You've sold offices in Sydney and Brisbane and are now in Werribee. Just GTFO. :rolleyes: Great business acumen.

Perfect example of an idiot starting a s**t throwing thread, all the usual following imbeciles hitting the like button and Mods start handing out cards to anybody that has the temerity to dare fire back in kind. Pathetic.

As stated not a troll, in past I have supported Sydney being subsidised for reasons given, not sure why you have become so defensive, just against AFL using COLA as excuse to prop Sydney up, they just needed to be up front and give valid reasons as to why Sydney needed to be supported. I'd be interested to know if these imbeciles as you call them are simply against COLA or the Sydney Swans been financially supported in past to protect market place, there is a difference.
Money obtained from selling offices went into purchasing rural land at Point Cook which has now been sold to Property Developers, so my business acumen wasn't all too bad and yes I still live on 1/2 acre block by Werribee River which I enjoy. By the way I was in debt at 27yo with my arse out off my pants, got into business, worked hard, made some money, big deal, still same person..... good luck on Saturday.

Last edited:
It's the neutral team effect. Like Modified Dog, I was a big fan of the Brisbane Lions in the early 00s. They beat Collingwood, kept Eddie unhappy. Just about everyone loved them. When your own team is s**t, it's good to have a team you can support that beats the clubs you hate.

People who are footy mad in Melbourne will get behind the Swans/Lions in a GF against Collingwood or Hawthorn because they want to see those teams lose.

I reckon Melbourne footy fans would get behind an unfashionable Melbourne club or Gold Coast or Port or whoever if they were playing Collingwood in a GF. Sydney aren't special in that regard.

T

What do these stats even mean? For a Shed anywhere near subi or freo you are paying $500 a week on your repayments. Trust me I own one.

They are a joke because they are state wide averages and NSW's is pushed up by a higher percentage of people living in metropolitan areas.

Anyone who knows remotely anything about real estate knows house pricing in WA is just as insane, if not more so than NSW.

afl.png

As a swans supporter I dread the day they get rid of the COLA

I reckon Melbourne footy fans would get behind an unfashionable Melbourne club or Gold Coast or Port or whoever if they were playing Collingwood in a GF. Sydney aren't special in that regard.
No, but plenty got behind Sydney over Hawthorn in 2012.

Trolls are trolls and people that can't hit the like button quick enough are only lifeless parasites. One in particular who if he has the balls to PM me we can talk COLA till the cows come home.

It's only an internet forum, chief. Liking a post hardly makes someone a lifeless parasite.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not only that, Adelaide are the real cheats with Tippett who (I think by memory, don't quote me on this) were breaching their own salary cap to pay him

You only got it partially right, it was a lot more stupid than that.

Adelaide in order to convince Tippett to stay in SA agreed to underwrite his Balfours third party deal. Idea being, if the value of the deal diminished, AFC would pick up the gap. Also it was alleged AFC convinced Balfours to switch some of it's AFC sponsorship to Tippett, but Balfours denied this, saying they made the decision to downgrade AFC and switch the funds to Tippett themselves.

This is a breach of the TPP rules because third parties deals cannot have any club involvement, and by suggesting Balfours switch the funds (if this happened) and by making a guarantee on payments (which they had an email confirming AFC agreement), the club was not at arms length.

So the breach was a breach of the rules, not of the actual cap itself. To make matters even more embarrassing, the crows could have included the gap in their cap anyway - they had the cap space.

So essentially they got done for making a promise that wasn't enacted upon, and wasn't even needed. Perhaps the most stupid case of tampering with the rules for TPP we have seen.

Are we ever going to have an equitable competition again? The AFL have already said they have no plans to completely get rid of the COLA for the Swans.

COLA needs to go from Sydney and once the franchise sides are up and running - COLA needs to go as well.
It is an unfair advantage. Academies are also an unfair advantage. Both ideas are inherently centered around future profits - so it is a business move, not a football move. Then there is the issue of free agency, which is currently a bit of a debacle, certainly hasn't been a smooth introduction.
I think at the very least there should be an asterix next to sides that have won flags with COLA, I say that for the side I support if the AFL continue to funnel in money long after it isn't necessary.

You only got it partially right, it was a lot more stupid than that.

Adelaide in order to convince Tippett to stay in SA agreed to underwrite his Balfours third party deal. Idea being, if the value of the deal diminished, AFC would pick up the gap. Also it was alleged AFC convinced Balfours to switch some of it's AFC sponsorship to Tippett, but Balfours denied this, saying they made the decision to downgrade AFC and switch the funds to Tippett themselves.

This is a breach of the TPP rules because third parties deals cannot have any club involvement, and by suggesting Balfours switch the funds (if this happened) and by making a guarantee on payments (which they had an email confirming AFC agreement), the club was not at arms length.

So the breach was a breach of the rules, not of the actual cap itself. To make matters even more embarrassing, the crows could have included the gap in their cap anyway - they had the cap space.

So essentially they got done for making a promise that wasn't enacted upon, and wasn't even needed. Perhaps the most stupid case of tampering with the rules for TPP we have seen.

We were completely stupid, moreso than cheats. What we did wasn't that different to Chris Judd being an ambassador for cardboard - Carlton just worked the system better. As do most clubs.

Where our admin was completely moronic was to keep meticulous records of us bending the rules, back them up, photocopy them in triplicate, get them witnessed by a JP and deliver them to AFL House ourselves.

Academies are also an unfair advantage.
Any advantage from the academies addresses an inherent disadvantage. So far, in its sixth year, the only highly rated prospect was someone who wouldn't even be playing footy if the academy didn't exist.

We were completely stupid, moreso than cheats. What we did wasn't that different to Chris Judd being an ambassador for cardboard - Carlton just worked the system better. As do most clubs.

Where our admin was completely moronic was to keep meticulous records of us bending the rules, back them up, photocopy them in triplicate, get them witnessed by a JP and deliver them to AFL House ourselves.

Im still baffled by the whole thing - it was completely unnecessary, documented, and the idiot Tippett outed it himself

It was like an idiot sandwich with a side of stupid

Any advantage from the academies addresses an inherent disadvantage. So far, in its sixth year, the only highly rated prospect was someone who wouldn't even be playing footy if the academy didn't exist.

Whether an advantage or disadvantage, academies are still only accessible for certain sides. That in itself is unfair.
Academies don't exist to develop players for all sides, they exist to develop players for specific sides - which is completely unfair on the other sides.

Nobody is objecting to the academies existing, just not in their current form with the Swans priority pre-selection of players within it.

Im still baffled by the whole thing - it was completely unnecessary, documented, and the idiot Tippett outed it himself

It was like an idiot sandwich with a side of stupid

If you ever wonder about the level of hatred towards the Trigg administration by the Adelaide faithful ... it pretty much boils down to how stupid they all were during this fiasco.

They kept records of bending the rules.

They were given an out by Brisbane who wanted to trade Tippett for pick 8 - which would have made the whole thing disappear.

They threw themselves on the mercy of the AFL when caught - as we all know over here, there is NO mercy for Adelaide from the AFL.

They figured "oh well, if we go down, Kurt will go down as well" - forgetting that, in going to Sydney, Tippett was actually beefing up the AFL's investment in a rugby league state.

One major league heck up all round.

Of course COLA is an advantage, every club would love an extra million dollars in the salary cap, fully paid for by the AFL.
Anyone who doesn't believe it's an advantage is Tony Abbott levels of delusion.

What? It's just a coincidence the one team with COLA for 15+ years has hardly missed finals and won two flags and if they win on the weekend will be the most successful team of the last 20 years. It's also just a coincidence the other team with COLA won three flags in a row and then dropped off a cliff when it was taken away....

Its a bit of a farce really. No other sporting competition has this crap.

:rolleyes:

Anyone who doesn't believe it's an advantage is Tony Abbott levels of delusion.

What? It's just a coincidence the one team with COLA for 15+ years has hardly missed finals and won two flags and if they win on the weekend will be the most successful team of the last 20 years. It's also just a coincidence the other team with COLA won three flags in a row and then dropped off a cliff when it was taken away....

Its a bit of a farce really. No other sporting competition has this crap.

:rolleyes:

Agreed, and it's ruining what has otherwise been a pretty good year and finals series.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back