COLA is and was AFL smokescreen

Remove this Banner Ad

The defence rests. Trolls are trolls and people that can't hit the like button quick enough are only lifeless parasites.
One in particular who if he has the balls to PM me we can talk COLA till the cows come home.

Why does COLA have to talked on PM?

You don't want to debate it in public because you know it's a rort that can't be defended?

... they breached the salary cap + cola? Where is your proof of this? I know people will always argue that the swans had an advantage because of the COLA because of jealousy. That fact is you have no proof. Not only that, Adelaide are the real cheats with Tippett who (I think by memory, don't quote me on this) were breaching their own salary cap to pay him. Secondly, the buddy move was audited by the AFL... what more bloody satisfaction do you need, apart, from this? And I know what everyone will say... about how the AFL, big brother etc. has always protected/supported the swans. Well I have one response for this, it is that your brain can't comprehend how well this club has done in terms of recruitment compared to other clubs. You and others will never understand or even want to comprehend how and what they did because you don't want to, in your own self-bubble you always want to believe that the swans are and were cheaters. If we try to explain to you, by the way by you I don't you as an individual I am talking about everyone that has a problem with this will never care about what we have to say.

The stupid melbourne-based media exaggerated it way too much and now the whole of vic is like COLA, COLA, COLA. Get the **** over it... there was no cheating here. It is called smart management, something clearly the other clubs do not have. There are just so many points I can write to counter-act each one about the COLA but i seriously cbf. I wish good luck to Hawthorn but I dear hope we win because then we can rub it into your faces until the next season.
:rolleyes:

Hodgepodge made a very simple point to counter Mike Sheahan's idiotic defence in the Youtube clip posted above

The argument is NOT about whether Sydney breached their inflated salary cap. Nobody cares whether they dumped Seaby and Spangher in order to squeeze Tippett in. Likewise nobody cares whether they had to lose Mumford, White and Everitt in order to fit Buddy under their cap.

People aren't accusing the Sydney Swans of being salary cap cheats

The issue is why does the AFL allow Sydney to pay their players $1 million extra when it's quite clear to everyone that the "cost of living" is not really the issue.

The AFL must think we're all as simple-minded as Mike Sheahan.

It's easy for the AFL to fool the Swans fans. You only have to look at the Essendon drugs scandal to see how fans will believe anything their club says and think the whole world is against them. It's a human trait. We're adaptable creatures.

First and foremost this is not a Sydney Swans troll.....

Years ago I had office in Melbourne along with two interstate offices in Sydney and Brisbane. At the time I was fortunate enough through my bank at different intervals to be granted mortgages to own each of the 3 offices rather than lease. Fast forward a few years down track and all three offices once again all at different intervals were sold with the Sydney office by far being the best return and it was always going to be that way for the Sydney property although more expensive was going to give greater returns in long run.

Therefore, if I was a footballer and was in a position to investment money into property particularly as a first home buyer (exempt from Capital Gains Tax) the Sydney property market would be very inviting. Given the supposition that a Sydney Swans player could have easy access to a willing mortgage lender along with a professional property advisor, for mine it would be in that players best interests to invest his money into the Sydney property market, rather than say the Adelaide property market.

Hence, if a Sydney Swans player invests his money wisely into the Sydney property market, in time he will be better off and not worse off, contrary to AFL propaganda.

Bottom line - having been in business for many years myself it is fundamentally important at all times to protect your own assets....... and there are not too many bigger assets to the AFL than the Sydney/NSW market place, to have the Sydney market place fall away would be a major financial blow not only to the AFL but to all clubs that represent it, so yes Sydney in the past to some point has needed to be supported/protected and slowly but surely they are beginning to stabilize and with the introduction of GWS let's hope as Aussie rules supporters that the Sydney/NSW becomes a financially successful and vibrant football state, if not future subsidies of some nature will have to exist.

Apologies for length of thread but had story to tell about a very touchy and somewhat misunderstood subject with AFL being biggest culprit.

Relevant to a history lesson only these days together with the average time on a list of an AFL footballer.

Mean housing costs per week, by state, for owners with a mortgage:
  • Vic, $435
  • NSW, $520
  • Qld, $478
  • SA, $408
  • WA, $466
For renters:
  • Vic, $278
  • NSW, $334
  • Qld, $301
  • SA, $235
  • WA, $306
http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/mf/4130.0

Edit: note that these are the capital city figures.

$60 a week more than Fremantle/West Coast. Lets pretend these footballers on $200k+ contracts can't afford this $60.

So each Sydney player needs $60 more per week than their WA based counterpart. So $3120 per season.

For the 45 players that is about $140,000

So Sydney are getting $900,000 too much?

• Vic, $435
  • NSW, $520
  • Qld, $478
  • SA, $408
  • WA, $466
For renters:
  • Vic, $278
  • NSW, $334
  • Qld, $301
  • SA, $235
  • WA, $306

You mean to say it costs on average an extra $4,420 to live in Sydney compared to Melbourne? How on earth could we expect a footballer on a salary of $150K to be able to budget such an extravagant cost when they are clearly living hand to mouth?

:rolleyes:

Hodgepodge made a very simple point to counter Mike Sheahan's idiotic defence in the Youtube clip posted above

The argument is NOT about whether Sydney breached their inflated salary cap. Nobody cares whether they dumped Seaby and Spangher in order to squeeze Tippett in. Likewise nobody cares whether they had to lose Mumford, White and Everitt in order to fit Buddy under their cap.

People aren't accusing the Sydney Swans of being salary cap cheats

The issue is why does the AFL allow Sydney to pay their players $1 million extra when it's quite clear to everyone that the "cost of living" is not really the issue.

The AFL must think we're all as simple-minded as Mike Sheahan.

It's easy for the AFL to fool the Swans fans. You only have to look at the Essendon drugs scandal to see how fans will believe anything their club says and think the whole world is against them. It's a human trait. We're adaptable creatures.
The AFL is right, you are simple minded, because you will never learn anything in life.

First and foremost this is not a Sydney Swans troll.....

Years ago I had office in Melbourne along with two interstate offices in Sydney and Brisbane. At the time I was fortunate enough through my bank at different intervals to be granted mortgages to own each of the 3 offices rather than lease. Fast forward a few years down track and all three offices once again all at different intervals were sold with the Sydney office by far being the best return and it was always going to be that way for the Sydney property although more expensive was going to give greater returns in long run.

Therefore, if I was a footballer and was in a position to investment money into property particularly as a first home buyer (exempt from Capital Gains Tax) the Sydney property market would be very inviting. Given the supposition that a Sydney Swans player could have easy access to a willing mortgage lender along with a professional property advisor, for mine it would be in that players best interests to invest his money into the Sydney property market, rather than say the Adelaide property market.

Hence, if a Sydney Swans player invests his money wisely into the Sydney property market, in time he will be better off and not worse off, contrary to AFL propaganda.

Bottom line - having been in business for many years myself it is fundamentally important at all times to protect your own assets....... and there are not too many bigger assets to the AFL than the Sydney/NSW market place, to have the Sydney market place fall away would be a major financial blow not only to the AFL but to all clubs that represent it, so yes Sydney in the past to some point has needed to be supported/protected and slowly but surely they are beginning to stabilize and with the introduction of GWS let's hope as Aussie rules supporters that the Sydney/NSW becomes a financially successful and vibrant football state, if not future subsidies of some nature will have to exist.

Apologies for length of thread but had story to tell about a very touchy and somewhat misunderstood subject with AFL being biggest culprit.
And there is no greater housing bubble in the nation at this point than in the Sydney market. So if the bubble bursts, which it inevitably will, Sydney property owners will lose proportionately more than those in any other market.

So, swings and roundabouts.

And there is no greater housing bubble in the nation at this point than in the Sydney market. So if the bubble bursts, which it inevitably will, Sydney property owners will lose proportionately more than those in any other market.

So, swings and roundabouts.

So when the bubble bursts and Sydney housing prices and mortage costs go down, Sydney should lose it's COLA?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

COLA is gone we dont have it anymore any new deals negotiated (see Pyke article) are without the 9.8% added on top.

Time to move on folks.

Then how can you offer 800k for Frawley that has been Reported

Not to mention they serve pints in those piss-weak Schooner glasses. Means you need to buy 20% more beer every time you want to get wasted and smash your Girlfriend's car into 3 parked cars.

If anything the COLA is TOO DAMN LOW!

It's a smokescreen allright. A smokescreen for the academies. A far more unfair setup.

Since Eddie fired up about these northern academies, the fact that it has led to an overhaul of the father-son setup speaks volumes. Yet another smokescreen.

The AFL are so shit at so many things, spin isn't one of them.

It's a smokescreen allright. A smokescreen for the academies. A far more unfair setup.

Since Eddie fired up about these northern academies, the fact that it has led to an overhaul of the father-son setup speaks volumes. Yet another smokescreen.

The AFL are so shit at so many things, spin isn't one of them.

The AFL Heads are a Joke

and make sure Sydney never bottoms out because if they do. No One would go and watch them in Sydney and they could die
Keeping the Swans up in contention is as much as about TV viewers (footy fans) in the southern states as it is about the fans in Sydney. Nobody wants to watch shitty football like Swans and Bad News Bears of the early 90's.

The reality is, in the overall scheme of things, very few people in Sydney give a shit about the AFL. We're talking about 30,000 rusted on Swans fans who go to games, plus the casual Swans fans who maybe watch a few games on TV. They'll watch a few finals if Sydney are in it. They might watch the Grand Final no matter who is playing. But they're as much of a Swans fan as I am a Melbourne Storm fan.

There are about 300,000 hardcore footy fans in greater Melbourne & Geelong who follow the game - I'm talking about people who go to watch their team play most weekends and - more importantly for the AFL , Foxtel and Channel 7 - watch a lot of other game on TV, even if their team isn't playing. Add the AFL fans in Tassie, SA and WA and we're talking upwards of half a million fairly dedicated AFL fans, plus that number again for casual fans who may or may not watch a bit of the footy on TV if it's interesting (hence the commentary hype from Bruce and BT whenever one of the superstars goes near the ball)

It's this mass-market the AFL , Fox and Channel 7 are trying to appeal to with their constant line of bullshit and propaganda regarding the Sydney Swans. The TV audience for AFL footy in Sydney is nothing compared to Vic, SA, WA and Tas.

Channel 7 doesn't really care about the AFL fans in Sydney - they're happy when the Swans make the finals and they get big bump in the ratings for those matches. But it's a two edged sword. They need to somehow sell the Swans to the people of Melbourne and other southern cities. They're not going to be able to do that if the Swans are just another crappy team with 10 wins and 12 losses. The Swans need to be good. People like winners. They also need a bit of razzle dazzle, which is why guys like Buddy and Gazza are marketed as heavily down here as they are up there.

Everyone used to hate Buddy when he was a Hawk. Now he's at Sydney, everybody loves him. What does that tell you? They want us cheering on Buddy and the boys (or Gazza and the Suns) like they're our second team. This is easy to do when your own team is shit. I used to barrack for the Brisbane Lions like they were my own team and I cheered as they kicked Essendon, Collingwood and Carlton's heads in.

Last edited:
Sydney's higher cost of living is offset by the desirability of living there. Wouldn't want to myself, but its Australia's most popular city for a reason presumably.

T
  • Vic, $435
  • NSW, $520
  • Qld, $478
  • SA, $408
  • WA, $466
For renters:
  • Vic, $278
  • NSW, $334
  • Qld, $301
  • SA, $235
  • WA, $306

What do these stats even mean? For a Shed anywhere near subi or freo you are paying $500 a week on your repayments. Trust me I own one.

It's as much as about TV viewers (footy fans) in the southern states as it is about the fans in Sydney.

The reality is, in the overall scheme of things, very few people in Sydney give a shit about the AFL. We're talking about 30,000 rusted on Swans fans who go to games, plus the casual Swans fans who maybe watch a few games on TV. The finals if Sydney are in it. They might watch the Grand Final no matter who is playing, but they're as much of a Swans fan as I am a Melbourne Storm fan.

There are about 300,000 hardcore footy fans in greater Melbourne & Geelong who follow the game - I'm talking about people who go to watch their team play most weekends and more importantly for the AFL , Foxtel and Channel 7, watch a lot of other game on TV, even if their team isn't playing. Add the AFL fans in Tassie, SA and WA and we're talking upwards of half a million AFL fans, plus that again for casual fans who may or may not watch a bit of the footy on TV (hence the commentary hype from Bruce and BT whenever one of the superstars goes near the ball)

It's these people the AFL and Channel 7 are also trying to appeal to with their constant line of bullshit and propaganda regarding the Sydney Swans. The TV audience for AFL footy in Sydney is nothing compared to Vic, SA, WA and Tas.

Channel 7 doesn't really care about the AFL fans in Sydney - they're happy when the Swans make the finals and they get big bump in the ratings for those matches. But it's a two edged sword. They need to somehow sell the Swans to the people of Melbourne and other southern cities. They're not going to be able to do that if the Swans are just another crappy team with 10 wins and 12 losses. They need to be good. People like winners. They also need a bit of razzle dazzle, which is why guys like Buddy and Gazza are marketed as heavily down here as they are up there.

Everyone used to hate Buddy when he was a Hawk. Now he's at Sydney, everybody loves him. What does that tell you? They want us cheering on Buddy and the boys (or Gazza and the Suns) like they're our second team. This is easy to do when your own team is shit. I used to barrack for the Brisbane Lions like they were my own team and I cheered as they kicked Essendon, Collingwood and Carlton's heads in.
You make a very legitimate point and all of this is true. However, sydney did not "cheat" to get the big name players up here. That's all my argument is lol.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back