Colin Sylvia Now A Docker

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't think this is particularly good for football though. The 2nd bottom team loses one of their few experienced heads and someone who came top 5 in their B&F and they probably won't get much as compensation, while the 2nd best team gets to add someone high quality to their list without having to trade anyone off theirs (or any of their draft picks), in order to get him.

If you're lucky, a pick after your 2nd rounder, otherwise I think it will be an end-of-2nd-rounder. One of the two, I would imagine. Will depend on how long his contract is and how much it is for. If he's going there for the chance at a flag and not for money and only on a two year deal then you'd be in trouble.

If you're lucky, a pick after your 2nd rounder, otherwise I think it will be an end-of-2nd-rounder. One of the two, I would imagine. Will depend on how long his contract is and how much it is for. If he's going there for the chance at a flag and not for money and only on a two year deal then you'd be in trouble.

Three year deal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very smart buying from Freo. Sylvia will excel in a better team, playing that hff/mid role. He probably had his most consistent year this season but didn't have any of those exceptional games that he has had in the past, like 20+ touches & 3 goals.

I wish him well & think he has the ability next year to kick 30+ goals & become the player he has promised to be since being drafted!

All the best col, As long as you give us a good draft pick in return. ;)

Wish you all the best with freo and it gives me more reason to hope freo win the 2014 cup.

Melbourne going to be relegated to perennial feeder team at thbis rate.

Lol, whats the point of that question. He'll be 3rd band if Melbourne are lucky and AFL feels like giving them a leg up.

Should qualify for band 3 quite easily if the 3 year deal has any money at all with it. Which it might not but then again the dees would've given him a reasonable offer, we have to spend cash on someone. Just not sure how much less Freo would've. Knowing Col if there was a big money difference he would've stayed at Melbourne. Got to pay for those trips to Vegas and Miami some how.

Anyway the guy will have a great season with Freo for the regular season. Just might go completely missing in finals and big games D Pearce style.

Free agency allows Ross Lyon to get guys like Pearce and Sylvia without giving up the draft picks he did at StKilda (hello Andrew Lovett) but he is still taking games away from kids. Hope he doesn't go over board again and all of a sudden Pav, Mundy, Sandi and McPharlin retire and it's StKilda 2.0. Of course as I said free agency and keeping the draft picks makes life a lot easier for clubs topping up these days.

Hoping Sylvia leaving can do for us what Pearce leaving did for Port!

Don't think this is particularly good for football though. The 2nd bottom team loses one of their few experienced heads and someone who came top 5 in their B&F and they probably won't get much as compensation, while the 2nd best team gets to add someone high quality to their list without having to trade anyone off theirs (or any of their draft picks), in order to get him.

does have the potential for creating a poverty cycle at the bottom of the ladder.

Jones is probably sitting pretty though - he'll end up clearing 1m a season at this rate.

Should qualify for band 3 quite easily if the 3 year deal has any money at all with it.

3 years is in the middle to low rung for FA deals though

Buddy - 9 years
Scully - 6 years
Thomas - 4 years
Betts - 4 years
Pearce - 4 years
Sylvia - 3 years
Byrnes - 2 years?

Theyre the ones I can think of off the top of my head

3 years is in the middle to low rung for FA deals though

Buddy - 9 years
Scully - 6 years
Thomas - 4 years
Betts - 4 years
Pearce - 4 years
Sylvia - 3 years
Byrnes - 2 years?

Theyre the ones I can think of off the top of my head
Chaplin 4 years and on good coin.

Chaplin + Pearce both 4 year contracts and good coin = 2nd round pick #29 IIRC

Would have Sylvia at 3rd or 4th then I'd say
You would think so.
If he has a contract that is similar to Pearce => approximately 1/2 of Pearce + Chaplin combined

Nice breath of fresh air to read this board where people make constructive comments instead of the relentless negativity and running down of oppos team players of the main board.
I was a bit ho hum about this but feel a little reassured after reading opinions here. Don't think Freo have to worry about running our list down for a premiership tilt. Our best young talents are signed up and know the score for breaking in to the team. The only one we will likely lose off the edge is Michie who is promising but unproven.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back