Collapsing, charging with your head - the AFL are to blame for this crisis

Remove this Banner Ad

What a disgrace Selwood was in the last 5 minutes then. Fortunately the umpire didn't fall for it

Selwood could not believe he didn't get the free.

What a sook he was.

Unfortunately the umpire fell for it when Duncan ducked right into it with 14:50 left in the first qtr.

It appears they are finally starting to not award Joel Selwood - he was disgraceful in the way he sooked to the umpire in those last few minutes, especially from a captain.

What happens when a player ducks their head into another players shin?

No score draw?

Christensen with 9:30 left in the third qtr

He is becoming a pro at it.

Pathetic umpiring.

They keep paying them.

Haha, any comment on Marc Murphy champ?

"Champ" lol

Murphy didn't go squealing like a little pig to the umpire.

Was pathetic from Selwood. They ended up giving him one in the last qtr anyway...he sucked them in again.

Christensen has been learning from THE BEST.

Re: Selwood - of course many disagree - but if you actually look at what he does, the only unique aspect of his play is to deliberately shrug his arms/shoulders up, causing the tackler's arms/hands to slide up and connect with his neck and/or head. There are many players who go in and under, hard at the ball and with little regard for their own safety, a style of play which can lead to high tackle frees being paid. The point I am trying to make is that if a tackler were strong enough, Selwood wouldn't be able to shrug their arm up - surely this means that the tackler should simply land the tackle more effectively - incorrect tacklers are penalised regardless of intent, so where is the problem? Selwood has even stated that there are players he cannot use this technique against, Jobe Watson being at least one that I know of. Why? Because they are too strong and can make the tackle stick.

Now is where you really won't believe me, because I know Selwood still gets multiple frees for high tackles each game. If you watch though, his style of shrugging tackles is so effective he actually gets taken high all the time without winning a free. This has to do with other clubs and supporters complaining about him and his style of play. Because Selwood knows this, most of the time (not all, but most) he does not stop or appeal when he gets taken high, because there is less chance of him getting a free. To me this would seem much better to watch as neutral (shrugging resulting in high contact but with continuous play as no free is paid; less squibing) vs. players who duck/dive and stop to appeal.

There were two horrible examples of this today - both 'chargers' were rewarded with a free kick.

A Bulldogs player (can't remember who) picked up the ball and then walked into Maric's leg with his head, and the Bulldogs player got awarded a free kick. Maric didn't even attempt a tackle, just stood there and got hit.

The other one was McGuane at the end of the game. Went down to pick up the ball, charged with his head, didn't get the free paid, then charged again and got the free paid. Two clear motions of forcing his head back and forth into an oncoming player got him the free. Ridiculous.

Another reading comprehension fail.

Sport

Champ

Tiger

when are you going to mention buddy? :rolleyes:

Resorting to the original terms lol.

I comprehended that you still fail to acknoweldge Murphy - not just leading with his head, but also falling over and rolling around pretending he's been hit in the head when really he hasn't.

It's just other clubs' players, eh?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It seems to me pretty impossible to police. The onus has to go onto the tackler to tackle around the hips.

How do you decide who is trying to draw a free kick, who is simply turning, who is bracing and who is shifting momentum? All of which require the ball carrier to lower their body by bending at the knees.

Impossible to create a rule to police these issues and the umpiring interpretation will be horrifically inconsistent.

You think it's bad now when there is a pretty clear demarcation point of it either being high contact or not, wait until the umpire has to make a call on what he THINKS is the player's intent.

Stage or age!

It's disgusting that this Selwood led cheating has spread to all sides including mine.

No team is good enough to give a 4-5 goal start to the the duckers and divers and still win.

The AFL has basically encouraged it and now we have a situation where the best divers win.

Just look at Selwood and Bartel today! Disgusting !

Whatever it takes to win shouldnt be an excuse anymore!
Nonsense.
Franklin has been a diver and sniper since he arrived at the AFL. How is Selwood responsible for that.

If I could see this trend in 2008 and 2009, Why the f@ck can't the AFL see the result of their stupid decisions until it is too late???
Because there's no way to rule against it consistently! It will just add many more inconsistent rulings to the game.

This issue has come about from a change in tackling method. If players continued to tackle around the hips, the vast majority of cases would not occur. However, these days tacklers are more intent on pinning the upper body. Of course there's going to be a much heightened risk of causing high contact.

The coaches are intent on playing the game in this risky fashion, these problems are on them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back