List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade & FA 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not sure of the commitment that's made, but have seen other teams cut their MSD picks the same year.

Agree we don't need to use it unless we believe there's a player that can help. So far all picks have played and lasted on the list for multiple years.
Players nominating for the MSD put up their own terms of either 6 months or 18 months.

That's why it should only be used sparingly. We're unlikely to pick up a bloke for 6 months, so it uses a list spot the following year the same way that picking blokes up by other means does - so I'd judge them the same.
We won’t waste our time with a bloke for six months. There’s no point. There’s costs associated with moving players, accommodation, medical, etc. It’s not worth it for six months.

Is there any chance the Pies get Harley Reid in the future? Free agency seems to be the only avenue and even then we may need to trade. A bridge too far probably.

Imagine Nick Daicos and Harley Reid playing on ball together?

Is there any chance the Pies get Harley Reid in the future? Free agency seems to be the only avenue and even then we may need to trade. A bridge too far probably.

Hearing strong rumors RE: Harley Reid to Pies, potentially as soon as the 2024 mid season draft. However, due to the nature of these rumors, I cannot go into more details at this stage.

We don’t recruit in the MSD for VFL back up.
Recruit for need in the AFL.
Key back or forward.
That doesn’t make a lot of sense unless you can guarantee Cox and Cameron don’t get injured. With Begg and Steene out we’d be forced to completely reshuffle the team around. Frampton would be the only legitimate option left and he’s now a rock in defence.

There’s definitely an immediate need for a ruck. All the better if it’s a ruck forward but in the MSD they don’t fall off trees. Might be a rare case where we just go the six month contract to patch a hole.

I agree. We seem to value a tall target that doesn't get out marked much but brings the ball to ground, and with good reason. Carlton is the classic example of how having dominant forwards can be more detrimental than good. They demand the ball too much and it makes their forward entries too predictable. If you think of coxy and Cameron, they don't get outmarked much and more than often bring the ball to ground. Geelong are aware of this and they play Hawkins close to goal and Cameron plays very high HF. If Carlton had any brains, they would do the same with Curnow up the ground, but don't tell Voss I said that
Agree, the chaos ball into forward line seems more effective with small forward line, and the likes of Bobby, Sarge, and Richards, Elliot put the willies up the big lumbering oppo backs .. maybe we have a new formula. I think we had more than 10 diff goal kickers last two weeks .. so a big KPF may make us worse as players tend to try to target that player .. JDG and Elliot play "big" and McGo will be back in time for finals probably

Agree, the chaos ball into forward line seems more effective with small forward line, and the likes of Bobby, Sarge, and Richards, Elliot put the willies up the big lumbering oppo backs .. maybe we have a new formula. I think we had more than 10 diff goal kickers last two weeks .. so a big KPF may make us worse as players tend to try to target that player .. JDG and Elliot play "big" and McGo will be back in time for finals probably
Yeah our quick turn over game works well with a small foward line that's kept open with the half forwards pushing up to the flanks to provide options/defend subsequent turnovers/help at mid ground stoppages. Having a tall good help but if everyone streams foward and tall is missed/outmarked it can leave everyone out of position and ourselves vulnerable.
Blues are a bit different. They are slow and based on contested animals and working it up the ground.
They need a tall to structure up. Otherwise they just get caught and burnt by quicker sides. Curnow is a gun. But can't do it all. Their problem is their smalls are shit. They'd kill for a bobby hill or even a Ginnivan we let go.
As for predictable true but they got back in it against pies when de koning went in as a 3rd tall and we couldn't contain them

Yeah our quick turn over game works well with a small foward line that's kept open with the half forwards pushing up to the flanks to provide options/defend subsequent turnovers/help at mid ground stoppages. Having a tall good help but if everyone streams foward and tall is missed/outmarked it can leave everyone out of position and ourselves vulnerable.
Blues are a bit different. They are slow and based on contested animals and working it up the ground.
They need a tall to structure up. Otherwise they just get caught and burnt by quicker sides. Curnow is a gun. But can't do it all. Their problem is their smalls are s**t. They'd kill for a bobby hill or even a Ginnivan we let go.
As for predictable true but they got back in it against pies when de koning went in as a 3rd tall and we couldn't contain them
We did miss Murphy in that moment .. Shame we lost Langdon as he was hitting his prime, and now Murphy same, we need to find another gem like them.

We won’t waste our time with a bloke for six months. There’s no point. There’s costs associated with moving players, accommodation, medical, etc. It’s not worth it for six months.
Maybe stop with the imagining. It's the players who nominate their contract term. 6 months makes it easier for a club to pick them up as it is less of a commitment.

What you are suggesting is that the club automatically ignores anyone who nominates a 6 month term?

Nonsense Smocky, nonsense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hearing strong rumors RE: Harley Reid to Pies, potentially as soon as the 2024 mid season draft. However, due to the nature of these rumors, I cannot go into more details at this stage.
Yeah I heard the same rumor from a WCE fan.

Have to be as a FA. No way in the next few years we have the trade capital unless Nick daicos was on the table.
A lot can happen in a decade but unlike say Judd I've got a feeling he stays at the eagles

Have to be as a FA. No way in the next few years we have the trade capital unless Nick daicos was on the table.
A lot can happen in a decade but unlike say Judd I've got a feeling he stays at the eagles

I think his path will be similar to Judd. Reid will stay at the Weagles for 6 years (so he will sign a new 3 year deal after his current contract) win a Brownlow and help get the Weagles back into finals footy. After that, he will look to head back to Victoria and a big Melbourne club.
In staying 6 years, he can say he gave the WC good service, but the pull of returning home to Victoria was too great.....

I think his path will be similar to Judd. Reid will stay at the Weagles for 6 years (so he will sign a new 3 year deal after his current contract) win a Brownlow and help get the Weagles back into finals footy. After that, he will look to head back to Victoria and a big Melbourne club.
In staying 6 years, he can say he gave the WC good service, but the pull of returning home to Victoria was too great.....
Judd's flag may have been a factor. Lose the pf or gf in 06 he may have stayed.
Different times now. Perth will boom soon especially south Coast. Melbourne becoming expensive and crowded. Could be plenty more opportunities if he stays.

Given mcstay injured in msd I'd go a key foward as back up. But we have AJ as break glass.
It's actually long term we have holes as demographics are off balance. Need to invest in youth in the next draft or 2.
This year list appears fine for a tilt

We don't need a ruck.
Areas of need
Tall KPFD maybe 2
Mids to replace Pendles and Side B
Small lead up foward to replace Elliot
Winger with pace
I'd suggest that in the short term we desperately need another ruck - the lack of a quality tap ruckman in our VFL side must be detrimental to the development of our emerging on-ballers and that must pervade the rest of our team. We are clearly exposed in the event that we lose either Cox or Cameron and that's too big a risk to simply accept.

I'd suggest that in the short term we desperately need another ruck - the lack of a quality tap ruckman in our VFL side must be detrimental to the development of our emerging on-ballers and that must pervade the rest of our team. We are clearly exposed in the event that we lose either Cox or Cameron and that's too big a risk to simply accept.
Frampton Beeg Stein even everyone's favourite player Kreuger can go in there. How much more do you need? Any quality tap ruckman much better are already playing AFL.
MSD is handy role players like Noble and AJ. Reckon another pacey Noble type or intercepting/lock down.Moore releasing tall defender are needs that should be plugged first

Frampton Beeg Stein even everyone's favourite player Kreuger can go in there. How much more do you need? Any quality tap ruckman much better are already playing AFL.
MSD is handy role players like Noble and AJ. Reckon another pacey Noble type or intercepting/lock down.Moore releasing tall defender are needs that should be plugged first
I think its more the case of that both begg and steene are injured atm. Begg for the season and steene until around round 18

Given mcstay injured in msd I'd go a key foward as back up.
Yeah good chance we’ll be able to replace our only KPF in-season via the MSD. Let’s do it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back