Collingwoods losing streak - what happened at the bye?

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's how they've gone when you line them up against the ladder:

Fremantle - loss
West Coast - loss
Hawthorn - loss
Sydney
Richmond - loss
Bulldogs - loss
Adelaide - loss
Geelong - loss

North Melb - win
GWS - win
Pies
Port Adel - loss
St Kilda - win
Melbourne - win & loss
Essendon - win
Carlton - win
Gold Coast - win
Brisbane - win

The answer is simply a lopsided draw.
That is damning.

I still think with the gluttony of young players who have shown signs they'll be fine for years to come but they're the definition of middling right now.

That is damning.

I still think with the gluttony of young players who have shown signs they'll be fine for years to come but they're the definition of middling right now.

I guess the encouraging thing is that if you did the same thing for West Coast last year, you'd get a similar result. They were 0-9 against the 8 and 11-2 against the rest.

ash2-300x300.jpg

They are about where I would have expected them to be.

In reality- most had them in the bottom 6 at beginning of the year.

There are about 8 teams who are about evenly placed at present- some on the upward trajectory- others downward.
On any given day- any of these teams could beat the other.

Collingwood were poor today- yet are comepletely bereft of confidence.

Richmond- upward
North- schizophrenic
Adelaide-upward
Port-downward
Geelong-downward
GWS-upward
Dogs-upward
Pies-Upward

they'll be right

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would've given Melbourne some hope had I not watched last week. They're a Jekyll and Hyde team this year. Which is better than Hyde all the time, I suppose.
I thought Hyde was the good side. You know, because he's bigger, faster, meaner and stronger than Jekyll. Would prefer Hyde in my team.

Fremantle - loss
West Coast - loss
Hawthorn - loss
Sydney
Richmond - loss
Bulldogs - loss
Adelaide - loss
Geelong - loss

North Melb - win
GWS - win
Pies
Port Adel - loss
St Kilda - win
Melbourne - win & loss
Essendon - win
Carlton - win
Gold Coast - win
Brisbane - win

Fair call. The other side to it though is that this year the teams from about 5-13 are relatively even and when any of those sides come up against each other, it seems to be coming down to whichever team happens to come out stronger mentally. Collingwood was riding an emotional wave after some great wins in the first half of the year (there were also some telltale signs though, as the Pies were made to look second-rate against Adelaide and Geelong, just off the top of my head). Then what those close, 'honourable' losses really did was take the wind out of their sails and they're not going into games against comparable opponents with the same confidence.

Fremantle - loss - 7
West Coast - loss - 31 (- 7 3/4 time)
Hawthorn - loss - 9
Sydney
Richmond - loss - 5
Bulldogs - loss - 18
Adelaide - loss - 27 (never in match)
Geelong - loss - 41 (never in match)

North Melb - win + 17 (massive comeback)
GWS - win + 42 (+ 17 3/4 time)
Pies
Port Adel - loss - 3
St Kilda - win + 74
Melbourne - win + 25 & loss - 37 (- 8 3/4 time)
Essendon - win + 20
Carlton - win + 75
Gold Coast - win + 69
Brisbane - win + 9

A lopsided draw is too simple and a cop out. I've added the margins and some 3/4 time margins for a more detailed assessment. We're a young group prone to ups and downs both across matches and during matches. There's been a lot of occasions where a side has got a run on and kicked streaks of goals, which we haven't been able to answer, some of these matches we've ended up winning others we've lost. The losses can be attributed to poor skills including goal kicking and silly mistakes and a general inability to take our chances. I'd say this is a combination of pressure, confidence and inexperience.

Right now our confidence and structure looks shot, we're missing Cloke and the young players seem to be tiring, which is reflected in being blown away late in 2 of the last 3 games.

Collingwood's list balance and depth isn't there to cover the injuries and poor form of some of their players.. It happens to all teams at some poin in time

It's a low hanging fruit, but stuff it.

They waved bye bye to their season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back