Opinion Come At Me Bro....AFL ANZAC Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

That's a big day for the WAFL so I think they stopped them

It's THE biggest day of the year for the WAFL, apart from the GF, and the weags had no problem in trying to wreck it for them. Most self-absorbed club in the league... ( ;) )

The Len Hall fixture has been going since the nineties. While that may offend some posters sensibilities that a 20 year old club may claim to be building some traditions and history that still doesn't take away from any of this particular fixtures significance to the club just because the scope of time doesn't fit some peoples time-frame to claim it as a tradition. It's been going on for some time now.No one has claimed the club or indeed anyone owns ANZAC day - it just happens to be the fixture and event in question.

Now you may "love the way some one here are complaining it will water down our tradition". Strange thing to love - but for some of us it's our favourite fixture of the entire season - and you shouldn't take the piss if any number of us feel that it a club tradition.

Firstly...as I have already stated...it's my favouraite fixture too. I understand the concept of "tradition" and "traditional fixtures" and why people hold them dearly. I obviously don't find it as obnoxious a thought to share something as uniquely Australian as an ANZAC day game around as others do.

As for your "Strange thing to love" comment (which was pretty puerile..you know what I meant) and belief that I'm taking the piss out of people who wish to protect club tradtions...I wasn't. What I was pointing out was that for some it's easy to accept losing (the guernsey) or changing(the song) some traditions as opposed to others (The Len Hall Game).

Horses for courses I spose!

"...thought to share something as uniquely Australian as an ANZAC day game..."

The game is uniquely Australian, but there's an NZ in ANZAC for a reason.

I'm probably in the minority and not so fussed about the day.

Sure there's a lot of footballers who lost their lives serving in wars, so I can see the connection, but somewhere along the line there must have been some conscientious objectors who could play a bit. That's a different kind of courage, that goes unacknowledged.

I wouldn't be surprised with all the hoo hah leading up to 100 years anniversary there might be some kind of Gallipoli fatigue afterwards.

I cringe about the way the Injectors and Colonwood over east hype up and almost 'market' the game for $. At least the way Freo do it is relatively understated.
Sheedy really should have been a marketer. The man was a genius in that sense. No coincidence that the bombers are the common thread on the two biggest days of the H&A season.

Sheedy really should have been a marketer. The man was a genius in that sense. No coincidence that the bombers are the common thread on the two biggest days of the H&A season.
I'm drawing blanks - what's the second biggest day?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Something like that

I guess you guys should get the dreamtime game as well then

Nope we're holding out for the Queen's Birthday game against Melb at the G

I'm drawing blanks - what's the second biggest day?
Anzac and dreamtime is what I was thinking. Mother's day hasn't meant much for a while in footy terms... and there isn't much else that has been an AFL wide promo, and is focused on the one game.

I realise that we are now lucky enough to share the ANZAC day stage with the truly magnanimous pies and bombers (*retch*), but no one outside of WA (besides our opposition on the day, and our interstate supporters) give even the vaguest flying one that we're playing that day. Few besides them probably even realise its happening.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back