Confirmed: Petracca out for the season with a torn ACL

Remove this Banner Ad

Terrible news for the kid. Hope he makes a speedy recovery.

Commiserations to MFC fans as well. Seeing your prized draft pick go down in that way is devastating and as a pies fan I can empathise. Hard to find silver linings at a time like this, but he will still have a brilliant career I'm sure.

Tweeted by Demonblog:

There might be something else in this curse stuff. What other clubs was Norm Smith associated with - Northcote, Fitzroy and South Melbourne

I propose we tear down the statue and put Jim Stynes in its place.

My commiserations to Melbourne fans and to the young man.

I think the football world wishes the youngster and your football club better luck.

If it's any commiseration, Goddard missed a year with an ACL, Lenny missed two and stories like Voss, Hird and other young men overcoming physcial adversity must serve as sources of inspiration in these moments.

Look forward to seeing him dominate in 2016.

I have to agree with SuburbanMe really don't think he was going to make it in the best 22 this year, i know he's only a draftee but couldn't really see Patracca training the house down to get in the side, and Roo's would probably let him develop in a VFL side. Although he wont adjust to AFL standards of fitness by the time he comes good he will be used to an AFL environment at least. So in short, we're not really loosing much this year, but it still is s**t news to befoul such a young talent.

I have to agree with SuburbanMe really don't think he was going to make it in the best 22 this year, i know he's only a draftee but couldn't really see Patracca training the house down to get in the side, and Roo's would probably let him develop in a VFL side. Although he wont adjust to AFL standards of fitness by the time he comes good he will be used to an AFL environment at least. So in short, we're not really loosing much this year, but it still is s**t news to befoul such a young talent.

Maybe he wasn't a walk up start for best 22, but a couple of injuries to blokes in the forward line or midfield and he would probably be in. We're not blessed with goal threats in this side so a guy with his size, speed, marking ability and kicking is a fair shout to get a gig in the pocket.

And we're losing a year of development for what we're hoping is going to be one of the next Judd, Ablett, Pendlebury, etc stars of the competition. We want the guy to develop a tank and he's not going to do that on crutches.

We are one step closer to Jordie McKenzie getting a game. I think we've lost plenty.

Even a year at Casey would've been infinitely more valuable than a year of rehab, from Petracca's perspective rather than looking at your immediate needs. As you said though, he can use the time to adjust and hopefully hit the ground running early next year.

Felt sick upon hearing the news. In the space of twelve months, one of our young guns did his knee, contracted salmonella, did his shoulder and then did his knee again, so we know how it feels. Nobody deserves that sort of luck. Hopefully things turn around for you guys and Brayshaw, ANB, Garlett and the 'Prince' can have a big impact.

All the best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe he wasn't a walk up start for best 22, but a couple of injuries to blokes in the forward line or midfield and he would probably be in. We're not blessed with goal threats in this side so a guy with his size, speed, marking ability and kicking is a fair shout to get a gig in the pocket.

And we're losing a year of development for what we're hoping is going to be one of the next Judd, Ablett, Pendlebury, etc stars of the competition. We want the guy to develop a tank and he's not going to do that on crutches.

We are one step closer to Jordie McKenzie getting a game. I think we've lost plenty.
Didn't think about Jordie, i retract my statement

Just saw the news. Horrible for the young lad & the club. Im sure I reflect the majority of people in wishing him nothing but the best in his recovery.

Just like AJ (Alex Johnson) at Sydney, Petracca is lucky enough to be young and has time on his hands. He has a better chance of a full recovery and at a better healing rate given his age.

Hopefully he has a good support network around him & I'm sure he'll come out of this all the more a complete player & person than he otherwise would have been.

We need to get the best available witch doctor to cleanse our bad spirits. It is beyond a joke. Our last five years have been a slow moving train crash.
We need to respond to it like winners though and use it as motivation to say F.U. to whatever bad karma is trying to drag us back. The losers way is to quietly sob and quit.
I love your positivity Tempy, just hang tough, it will turn for us.

I'd say he'd get early games. Is AFL ready and let's be honest, surely he get's a game above blokes like Dean Kent for example?

Made the mistake of looking at the comments on the AFL FB page.

Many people laughing and cracking jokes about arguably the most promising youngster of the draft whose future career is now less certain than it was this time yesterday. Saints fans openly gloating. Cause ya know, that's the most important thing. The fact they "dodged a bullet".

What a nation of classless dummies we've produced.

Made the mistake of looking at the comments on the AFL FB page.

Many people laughing and cracking jokes about arguably the most promising youngster of the draft whose future career is now less certain than it was this time yesterday. Saints fans openly gloating. Cause ya know, that's the most important thing. The fact they "dodged a bullet".

What a nation of classless dummies we've produced.
It's disgusting. Can't see anything funny about this. Petracca already seemed like a likable player for the neutrals.
I doubt it. Kent is easily best 22.
I like Kent but Petracca is a beast.

The way to get 'through' this, is to put yourself in Petracca's boots. Imagine being 18, the whole world in front of you, confidence to burn and invincible, and then getting an injury that threatens the whole fairytale. It sucks for us as MFC supporters for sure, but it would suck a lot more to be Christian Petracca at the moment.
Looking at the half full glass, he's young, ACL surgery is surely getting better every year and he will have the best possible surgeons on the job. The footy club will also give him every possible support to ensure that he comes back 100%. He'll come back and tear the comp apart in 2016 and he'll have Jack Trengove beside him doing the same thing. Your careers are still all ahead of you boys, what's 12 months in a 12 year career?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back