Toast Congratulations Nick Riewoldt - All Australian 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Phenomenal effort from Riewoldt, particularly when 90% of the side could not hit the side of barn. Been a pleasure watching Nick dominate the league the last 10+ years. Champion!

If fat **** Hawkins can you know run like CHF and be a CHF then he will be selected as a CHF.

Imagine Hawkins playing CHF for st Kilda this season. I honestly doubt he'd have kicked 30 goals. FF maybe... But no the argument they present is Hawk for Roo.

I also wonder how many of those complaining watched any Saints games... Let's be honest we weren't exactly a must watch side this season... So I think most are just talking drivel cos their player didn't make it. Like the hawks supporter arguing for Gunston at CHF. Just lol.

Anyway congratulations to Roo. Absolute champion. More marks than anybody in a side that struggled to compete most weeks on knees that needed to be drained on a weekly basis. Unbelievable effort and a year I have up with his best (04.09)

Actually, there's a pattern emerging there... 04,09,14 - somebody sign Roo up to 2019 asap!

and you sounded so sure ;)

Yep still can't believe he made the team. But good on him but I wouldn't have picked him in there myself, bit lucky IMO.

I really thought he was going to miss out, and it's interesting that practically nobody other than the actual selectors named him in their team!

All that said, he is a thoroughly deserving vice captain for a team which was pretty terrible for the vast majority of the year. There are so many times he could have dropped his head or just stopped, but to his credit he kept going every single week like a true leader, and should be an absolute inspiration to his teammates.

Well done Roo, it is much deserved. :)

Hi guys,

Long time lurker of the Saints bigfooty board. But felt compelled to toast the great Roo. Due to my wife and her families passion for all things Saints, I have an acquired love of the red, black and white so please treat me kindly on the 'Asaga' stuff..

I consider myself lucky to have been able to watch 'Saint Nick' pretty closely over the past 5-6 years. IMO he is a once in a generation player that should be regarded in the best 2 or 3 CHF's of the last 20 years. I don't get people who say that he is under-rated. How the hell can a player with 5 AA caps and 6 best and fairest wins be underrated?? Sounds like he is rated by the people who know what they are talking about!

To see Riewold repeatedly undertake 200 metre sprints and then be hit on the chest (although his team mates have let him down somewhat in this regard this past year) after he has absolutely ruined his opponent aerobically has been one of the great pleasures of going to the footy. Those seasons during 2009/10 when he was in his prime were a joy to watch. Absolute beast of an athlete who due to dumb luck won't finish his career with the deserved honour of a premiership medal around his neck. His leadership of the Saints these past few years as they have dropped out of contention has been a credit to him as a man and will be a part of his legacy to this young group.

When you say he faded... do you mean his goal scoring or general play?

Did his output drop in terms of possessions and marks etc?

Anyone care to post his stats for each round?

Just curious.

From a Supercoach POV;

rd 1-12 - 91.3 ave
rd 13-23 - 92.2 ave

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From a Supercoach POV;

rd 1-12 - 91.3 ave
rd 13-23 - 92.2 ave

Looks fairly consistent in that case.

Thing is that yes, he really hit the scoreboard early int he year, then we had that bad patch, but he kept going. Ddidn't keep kicking bags of 4, but kept going.

??? Just an opinion and a lot other people agree with me. Just my unbiased view.
If having a lot if people agree with you makes you feel good about yourself then congratulations. Pretty poor to come on a toast thread about a player that's just made all Australian and say he didn't deserve it.
I've been a long time admirer of all you put into this board especially the sandy stuff but I think you've messed up here.
Also all you've said is he didn't deserve it yet provided no other alternative?
I'd be interested to see who you'd rather have.
I'd definitely have him in there, an unbelievable performance from a player in the worst side in the comp. I highly doubt anyone else at his age would have the same year he did playing for that side, and I think the fact he got the VC is amazing. Sure he had a lull in the middle of the year, which makes his stats even more remarkable. Just my opinion tho.

If having a lot if people agree with you makes you feel good about yourself then congratulations. Pretty poor to come on a toast thread about a player that's just made all Australian and say he didn't deserve it.
I've been a long time admirer of all you put into this board especially the sandy stuff but I think you've messed up here.
Also all you've said is he didn't deserve it yet provided no other alternative?
I'd be interested to see who you'd rather have.
I'd definitely have him in there, an unbelievable performance from a player in the worst side in the comp. I highly doubt anyone else at his age would have the same year he did playing for that side, and I think the fact he got the VC is amazing. Sure he had a lull in the middle of the year, which makes his stats even more remarkable. Just my opinion tho.

No offense but maybe you need go back and read entire thread. It started off as a question asking people if he should be named in AA team. I said no.. Then after last night someone else quoted my post & commented about it and I said I still didnt think he deserved to be named but good on him for doing so.. I didn't "come onto toast thread" and then post it my thoughts. It was initially there and then someone highlighted it.

No offense but maybe you need go back and read entire thread. It started off as a question asking people if he should be named in AA team. I said no.. Then after last night someone else quoted my post & commented about it and I said I still didnt think he deserved to be named but good on him for doing so.. I didn't "come onto toast thread" and then post it my thoughts. It was initially there and then someone highlighted it.
I understand thunda after keeping tabs with this thread in its entirety.

Joop has a good question though. Who would you have had in instead of him? Who has had a better year than him who was nominated?

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact the selectors chose the players much more on their natural roles and positions. No one else really stands out as that premier CHF tbh

The bloke has had as good a season as any.

Now if they were picking the best 22 in footy then he would probably miss out. BUT they have selected the best in their respective positions, so he makes it.

Otherwise we'd have 22 mids making up AA team.

Buddy deserves FF because he has pulled a blinder out of his backside.

which other CHF has had a better season?

Cloke - poor

Pav - injured

Reid - nah

Tippett - missed too much.

Cats fans crying tomahawk in for nick...
Only cats fans mind you.

It's really surprising, he didn't have a great year at all but because he kicked 60+ goals Robbo and co think he owns a spot in the AA team.
Imagine that rule being applied every year in the past... Milne missed out when he kicked 61 from a pocket!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back