Toast Nicky Winmar inducted into the AFL Hall of Fame

Remove this Banner Ad

finally!

What a brilliant player he was!

Plugger thinks so too…

As a Forward you could not ask for 2 blokes better at kicking the ball to you then Robert Harvey and Nicky Winmar.

Winmar owned the wing at moorabbin, waverly and the MCG.

Love ya Nicky, gave me so many great memories, just an incredible player.

Was at Vic Park the famous day we beat them and he took a stand, still right up there with favourite Saints games ever (favourite was another Nicky special: 97 prelim vs North).

Thoroughly deserved induction and love that he’s being celebrated the past few years.

Congrats Cuz, what a privilege it was to watch you in full flight.

The torps, the hangers, the goals, the gliding across the turf, the pinpoint passes, the tackling.

The Simpsons Reaction GIF by FOX International Channels

I don't post on here much.... i do read alot!!.... I just wanted to come on here today and offer my congratulations to the great man. As a kid growing up behind the goals at Moorabbin and then Waverley, the #7 just gave me so much happiness. This might seem a little strange, but the measure of the man on the footy field for me wasn't what he did when we won, but more how he played and performed when we lost. The number of times walking back to the car, my late dad would say 'thank god for Nicky today, if he hadn't of been out there we would of lost by 15 goals instead of 5'... and he was right. The man was very rarely beaten and would tackle and chase until the final siren.

So happy for you Nicky, and so so happy to see you in such a healthy place in both mind & body to enjoy it.

It all has been said above, but would like to join in saying it was a pleasure to watch Nicky and cemented my decision to become a Saints fan when I moved from Sydney in the late 80's.

Well deserved honour. Great player, great ambassador for indigenous players and his people in general.

We all know and love what he did as footballer, he is in so many of my best memories of watching footy at Moorabbin, but what he is more than a footballer is just an absolute ripper of a person. An icon of Australia.

And if I may participate in a little self indulgence, it was either 1991 or 1992, we were flying and finals bound and I was at training one Thursday afternoon when I was approached by none other than Kylie Gillies about being part of a segment she was filming for Sportsworld. She was asking Saints supporters on camera what their ultimate football fantasy was and my response was this:

St Kilda is playing Collingwood in a Grand Final, it is time on in the 4th quarter and we are 5 points down, from a centre bounce Nicky wins the centre clearance and delivers an absolute worm burner to Plugger and the siren sounds, Plugger kicks the goal after the siren to win the flag.

Anyway I must of nailed it because Kylie included me in her segment that went to air that Sunday. I wish I still had a copy of that segment.

So yeah Nicky you absolutely deserve to be in the Hall of Fame, and not just because you gave so many young fans like me a life time of great footy memories, but because of who you are as a person.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well done Nicky, huge achievement and well deserved. My favourite player ever.

I'm also loving your new career as an artist. Just as good on the easel as you were on the field.

Instagram @nickywinmarart

Loved watching Nicky play, especially at Moorabbin. How good was that game against Carlton in '89! I'd stand on the outer wing between the scoreboard and the time clock with several mates and there was always two or three blokes with mullets standing a little bit in front of us. They were just part of the crowd but they each had a Saints jumper with #7 on it. We referred to them as The Winmars!

Congratulations Neil Elvis 'Nicky' Winmar!

Having followed the Saints for 50 years plus I'm sometimes asked to name the best Saints I've seen play. I have distant childhood memories of Baldock and Stewart etc but I tend to consign them now to a different era.

I usually settle on a trifecta of Harvey, Lockett and Riewoldt. Take your pick on the order depending on what you place the most emphasis on. Longevity, match winning ability, great clubmen and so on.

But I always say for pure talent it would be Nicky Winmar. Great kick on either foot, uncanny goal sense, fantastic mark, he could handball 20 metres, super quick, great tackler and he could control the ball on the ground without picking it up like all the great indigenous players can.

In a nutshell he was the perfect player. Owing to the racial crap he copped he could be put off his game on occasions so he'd probably "only" come in at 4 or 5 on my top ten list.

But skill wise he's definitely number one. It's also great to see he's stayed a loyal Saint's man and actively involved at the club.

Great news for a great Saint.

Absolutely stoked that Nicky's finally inducted in the HoF. Seeing him run around in his early days for South Freo his potential was obvious, which he realised with you guys. Great to see him in fine spirits nowadays as well, his segment with Derek Kickett on the Front Bar the other week was gold!

Is there any video floating around of his acceptance speech?

Absolutely stoked that Nicky's finally inducted in the HoF. Seeing him run around in his early days for South Freo his potential was obvious, which he realised with you guys. Great to see him in fine spirits nowadays as well, his segment with Derek Kickett on the Front Bar the other week was gold!

Is there any video floating around of his acceptance speech?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back