List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

Who do you want the Eagles to select in the Mid Season Draft?

• Luke Beecken

Votes: 27 22.1%
  • Ben Hopkins

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Trey Ruscoe

Votes: 18 14.8%
  • Will McLachlan

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Jacob Blight

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Jasper Scaife

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Jack Hutchinson

Votes: 39 32.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 10.7%
  • Geordie Payne

Votes: 3 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
For those who think we offer up Bailey for Baker, you have to go back to Sinclair to see up pushing a player out and Sinclair was out of contract.

We have in the past been very loyal to interstate players who commit to us. Only way I see Bailey becoming a Tiger is if he wants to go home. Everything I’ve heard is contrary to that - he is seen to be loving his football and loving life in Perth.

What message would the club be sending to our band of interstate youth if we are seen as asking an in-contract players to leave and go back to Prictoria?
I think a lot depends on his performance as a ruck/fwd once Flynn is back.
There is a world where J.Williams passes Bailey and he doesnt think he has a future in the best 22, he might think the Tigers or some other club like the Demons for example are a better club for him to be guaranteed games.
If Bailey goes very well as a forward then im sure some other clubs would signal their interest.

There is a world where J.Williams passes Bailey and he doesnt think he has a future in the best 22, he might think the Tigers or some other club like the Demons for example are a better club for him to be guaranteed games.
If Bailey goes very well as a forward then im sure some other clubs would signal their interest.
Trouble is Flynn has played 33 total games in three previous seasons. We can't get rid of B Williams without bringing in someone capable of rucking full time for a month or two if Flynn goes down again. J Williams would be destroyed if that happened.

What are you on about?

Who said anything about pushing him out?

It was a hypothetical about players Richmond may ask about.

If and it’s a huge IF anything was to happen it would be because Bailey was interested in going home not because we were pushing him out.

Jesus Christ.
There seems to be a trend of you possibly having some anger management issues. That or you have difficulties having a healthy and robust debate.

Have a read over the last 8 or so pages. A number of comments from posters saying we should “offer Bailey up”. I do understand hypotheticals and yes there is a reason why clubs rarely trade player for player. I could go back and quote who said anything but we have been Gunnerfree for a decent while.

Bailey isn't ass. He's a perfectly acceptable back up ruck option.

He's unfortuantely been the sole ruckman for so long because we haven't had other options. For the last two years we have had the worst hitout differential in the league. the previous year we were second worst. These years correlate directly to Williams moving into the no. 1 ruck spot. This is not sustaiable when you don't have an elite midfield to compensate.

EDIT: Only reason we weren't last by a long way in 2022 as well was beacuse Nic Nat played 8 games and won the hitout differential in those games.

View attachment 1990353

View attachment 1990344
View attachment 1990345
View attachment 1990351
Also on the above the Bulldogs with Tim English have been 15th, 15th and 13th in hitout differential over the last 3 years. Part of the reason i'm not a fan of him for us. The Dogs fall apart as soon as Libba misses games as he papers over the clearance defficiencies created by English in the ruck.

There seems to be a trend of you possibly having some anger management issues. That or you have difficulties having a healthy and robust debate.

Have a read over the last 8 or so pages. A number of comments from posters saying we should “offer Bailey up”. I do understand hypotheticals and yes there is a reason why clubs rarely trade player for player. I could go back and quote who said anything but we have been Gunnerfree for a decent while.

A player wanting to be involved in the trade is implied in any comments or posts by users in regards to any player trade.

You spent 3 paragraphs simply pointing out the assumptions every other person was working off.

Perhaps a need to appear to be the smartest in the room, when in reality offering nothing of value to the discussions whatsoever.

Trouble is Flynn has played 33 total games in three previous seasons. We can't get rid of B Williams without bringing in someone capable of rucking full time for a month or two if Flynn goes down again. J Williams would be destroyed if that happened.
We can find another depth ruckman at the end of the year. Just go to whichever state comp, probably WAFL and just pick the best ruckman, tell him you probably wont get games unless we need you. He will get paid reasonably well to probably play a handful of games at most, but otherwise just play the same level of footy he already was.
Doesnt matter how old he is, or any of that stuff. Give him a 2 year deal with the intention being that Barnett should be ready to play more games by then

We literally went out and got Flynn

Hes played a bunch of games over the last 2 years lmao, hes not some rookie we picked up. Go and check out how he went last year before Briggs went past him before saying dumb s**t lol
'"Go and check how he went before Briggs went past him" are you aware how dumb that statement is? We've drafted an injury prone bloke who's played a bit over 30 games, who's broken down again and you're carrying on like we've got peak dean.cox

Bailey isn't ass. He's a perfectly acceptable back up ruck option.

He's unfortuantely been the sole ruckman for so long because we haven't had other options. For the last two years we have had the worst hitout differential in the league. the previous year we were second worst. These years correlate directly to Williams moving into the no. 1 ruck spot. This is not sustaiable when you don't have an elite midfield to compensate.

EDIT: Only reason we weren't last by a long way in 2022 as well was beacuse Nic Nat played 8 games and won the hitout differential in those games.

View attachment 1990353

View attachment 1990344
View attachment 1990345
View attachment 1990351
All good bro im just trying to explain to ******* the importance of Williams and how relying on Flynn who hasn't played a game for us yet is reckless

'"Go and check how he went before Briggs went past him" are you aware how dumb that statement is? We've drafted an injury prone bloke who's played a bit over 30 games, who's broken down again and
He got passed by Briggs who was probably the 3rd best ruckman last year, whats your issue?
He wasnt injured at all last year and didnt miss a game, in 2022 he played 14 games, in 2021 he played 15(including VFL games), sounds reasonable to me.
you're carrying on like we've got peak dean.cox
Lmao what are you on about I specifically mentioned that hes some average bloke whose only role is to not get slaughtered in hitouts like BW does :tearsofjoy:

Its so easy to find a depth ruckman from anywhere losing BW would NOT be an issue at all

You have gotta be trolling now so im not going to respond again unless you come up with something worth responding to

There in lies the problem for BW, because while he can take a decent mark his kicking for goals is absolute shyte.

There is a world where J.Williams passes Bailey and he doesnt think he has a future in the best 22.

Young Jack has already passed BW in forward craft.
Sure BW has JW covered in the backup ruck department.

Flynn worries me because his durability issues, or lack there of, are a serious concern.

So BW is very much needed as Flynn has proved nothing yet.
Until such time as he does BW is our go to guy.

On a side note JW and his growth as a player has already outperformed my expectations from the start of the season.
He has been an unexpected bonus IMO.

Once he fills out in the arms and chest he is going to be one seriously big unit.
He has given us enjoyable glimpses of just how strong in the air he is.
Plus the set shot accuracy has been impressive.

We can find another depth ruckman at the end of the year. Just go to whichever state comp, probably WAFL and just pick the best ruckman, tell him you probably wont get games unless we need you. He will get paid reasonably well to probably play a handful of games at most, but otherwise just play the same level of footy he already was.
Doesnt matter how old he is, or any of that stuff. Give him a 2 year deal with the intention being that Barnett should be ready to play more games by then
This doesn't work. AFL clubs are desparate for capable ruckman. There are no mature age ruckman floating around at state league level who can hold down the ruck spot for a month or two. They would be destroyed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There in lies the problem for BW, because while he can take a decent mark his kicking for goals is absolute shyte.
That can be fixed, id like to give him some time as an actual forward before I judge his forward ability, he seems to have athleticism and jump that would be awkward to matchup on
Young Jack has already passed BW in forward craft.
Sure BW has JW covered in the backup ruck department.

Flynn worries me because his durability issues, or lack there of, are a serious concern.
He hasnt been that injury prone, this injury this year sounded like a freak injury thats not necessarily indicative of being injury prone, he didnt get injured last year
So BW is very much needed as Flynn has proved nothing yet.
Until such time as he does BW is our go to guy.
Depth ruckmen are cheap and easy to find, we dont need to hold onto BW just for that. If we can find a cheapie from a state league who is better than BW at rucking (wouldnt be that difficult) then BW isnt a loss at all
On a side note JW and his growth as a player has already outperformed my expectations from the start of the season.

Once he fills out in the arms and chest he is going to be one seriously big unit.
Plus the set s**t accuracy has been impressive.
Yeah im quite excited for JW, didnt think much of him at the start of the year but he could be something long term.
From a Champion data perspective he is playing better than Amiss and JVR who were the other 2 WA KPFs in that draft, good signs.

This doesn't work. AFL clubs are desparate for capable ruckman. There are no mature age ruckman floating around at state league level who can hold down the ruck spot for a month or two. They would be destroyed.
They dont have to be good, BW is already very poor at it. If we could turn BW into Baker, then get someone with comparable ruck ability to BW, its not a loss at all. Whatever we lost in BW we would gain in Baker.

The ideal scenario would be something like a Naismith who Richmond picked up after losing Soldo. Was on an AFL list for years and then got delisted, now hes only there to fill in if required.
Brynn teakle maybe? Made the state squad after 18 months on the Port list

Not sure if you were including AFL listed rucks who are stuck in state league but Ned Moyle would comfortably give a good account of himself in the AFL. He’s played 1 AFL game this year and is destroying everyone at VFL level but is stuck there due to Witts.

A trade to GCS to get their 1Rs and Moyle would be hugely beneficial and let them get above Lombard or bank 2025 points.

Otherwise we’d need to gauge the development of Batman and when we think he’d be ready if BWilliams was traded and if he isn’t ready what stop gap we could put in place.

A player wanting to be involved in the trade is implied in any comments or posts by users in regards to any player trade.

You spent 3 paragraphs simply pointing out the assumptions every other person was working off.

Perhaps a need to appear to be the smartest in the room, when in reality offering nothing of value to the discussions whatsoever.
I wouldn't have thought so.

There's been hundreds of posts where people just want to either offload or get rid of contracted players.

Oskar Smarrrtttttt = ATG

He got passed by Briggs who was probably the 3rd best ruckman last year, whats your issue?
He wasnt injured at all last year and didnt miss a game, in 2022 he played 14 games, in 2021 he played 15(including VFL games), sounds reasonable to me.

Lmao what are you on about I specifically mentioned that hes some average bloke whose only role is to not get slaughtered in hitouts like BW does :tearsofjoy:

Its so easy to find a depth ruckman from anywhere losing BW would NOT be an issue at all

You have gotta be trolling now so im not going to respond again unless you come up with something worth responding to
Why would I be trolling you, you're the one who originally replied to me get over yourself.

It's simple, Bailey is our number 1 Ruck. Until someone replaces him he can't be traded. Flynn although a ok player has a suspect history with injury. Until Flynn comes in and plays multiple games and shows that Bailey isn't needed the jury will be out on him. I want to see Flynn do well and I couldn't care less if Bailey was traded but you don't do it without even seeing Flynn play a game. This discussion is for the end of round 23

Plus the set shot accuracy has been impressive.

I really like JW - in the best way possible he's a 'boring' player. We have Oscar who launches himself 100 miles an hour and smashes himself into the deck to take his marks, Darling who's always trying some weird way to win a contest, Jake who has to go Wayne Carey mode in the contested marks cause he's undersized, and BW who is a coin toss on a set shot whether he's 15m out or 45.

There's something quite comforting about a key forward who just leads well, takes medium difficulty grabs using his size without wrecking himself every landing, drop punts the set shots he should nail + goals from a bit more than half the 50-50s but isn't a freak banana type operator. Doesn't pull out Nic Nat taps to advantage but really effectively tangles up good oppo rucks so they can't really hit it anywhere dangerous.

Obviously would be happy if he becomes even close to as good but gives me Jarryd Roughead vibes - great teams have their Buddy Franklins but equally as important to have key players who deliver the same good things each week and are predictable to their teammates.

I really like JW - in the best way possible he's a 'boring' player. We have Oscar who launches himself 100 miles an hour and smashes himself into the deck to take his marks, Darling who's always trying some weird way to win a contest, Jake who has to go Wayne Carey mode in the contested marks cause he's undersized, and BW who is a coin toss on a set shot whether he's 15m out or 45.

There's something quite comforting about a key forward who just leads well, takes medium difficulty grabs using his size without wrecking himself every landing, drop punts the set shots he should nail + goals from a bit more than half the 50-50s but isn't a freak banana type operator. Doesn't pull out Nic Nat taps to advantage but really effectively tangles up good oppo rucks so they can't really hit it anywhere dangerous.

Obviously would be happy if he becomes even close to as good but gives me Jarryd Roughead vibes - great teams have their Buddy Franklins but equally as important to have key players who deliver the same good things each week and are predictable to their teammates.
Actually a very very good summary of JW. Think he’s surprised many this year.

Back