List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
Tracking a potential draft bolter from WA. Luke Urquhart is a 190cm mid/forward with an exciting skill set. Ability to find the footy inside and outside the contest, tough tackling and serious hurt factor with his possessions. A long penetrating kick from a lovely fluid action which allows him to set up teammates and hit the scoreboard.

Tracking a potential draft bolter from WA. Luke Urquhart is a 190cm mid/forward with an exciting skill set. Ability to find the footy inside and outside the contest, tough tackling and serious hurt factor with his possessions. A long penetrating kick from a lovely fluid action which allows him to set up teammates and hit the scoreboard.

A couple of quality goals in there.

Big unit already

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Looking more draftable than Bailey?
Saw some of his game yesterday, 3 qtrs or so of his entire junior career so far haha, but I'd say yes. Taller and a better kick than Bailey. Kicked a ripper selling some candy to cut inside then a great check side kick for goal. He reminded me a little bit of a bottom aged Ed Allan being tall, wiry and a good runner. Not saying he's as good or anything, just saw a likeness.

My love for Jagga and FOS is only if clay hall comes on. I've ruled out ginbey as inside I think he's outside/balanced.

If clay hall doesn't show something we need draper (balanced). Can't have Harley being the only one getting groud balls
Ginbey and Hewett are good @ ground ball gets. Ginbey is averaging 7 (above average) this year, Reid 6.5.

Imo we need quick spreading mids who run n carry and link up well in transition. Obviously good skills imperative.
This sounds like Jagga, Moraes, Hotton and Draper....but are they good enough to overlook Smillie for?

We have the big bodies/power mids for the future already, but Smillie could be special, 195cm mids with skill don't grow on trees

Ginbey and Hewett are good @ ground ball gets. Ginbey is averaging 7 (above average) this year, Reid 6.5.

Imo we need quick spreading mids who run n carry and link up well in transition. Obviously good skills imperative.
This sounds like Jagga, Moraes, Hotton and Draper....but are they good enough to overlook Smillie for?

We have the big bodies/power mids for the future already, but Smillie could be special, 195cm mids with skill don't grow on trees

If we have access to Smillie but it's deemed he's surplus to needs/better for us to focus elsewhere I would hope we maximize that position by selling off our pick to land one of the other boys, potentially even a couple of them.

If we have access to Smillie but it's deemed he's surplus to needs/better for us to focus elsewhere I would hope we maximize that position by selling off our pick to land one of the other boys, potentially even a couple of them.
If we can trade down from pick 1-2 (which is what it looks like) and get Jagga then two of Retschko, Reid (the III), Trainor, Mraz, Hotton that are projecting in that pick 10-25 range then it should be cut and dry.

If Gold Coast finish towards the bottom of the ladder and Jagga is likely to be available with their 1R it’s an absolute no brainer that we go to them so they can take a pick before Lombard.

I tend to agree, but it's going to be hard for any recruiting team to turn down a guy who looks like the next Cripps/Green

I tend to agree, but it's going to be hard for any recruiting team to turn down a guy who looks like the next Cripps/Green

Midfield feels a bit unbalanced if we go that way, mind you it could clear the path for Ginbey to set himself up behind the ball more permanently.

I'm all in on some outside class this draft period. I haven't been watching the kids coming through though so haven't made any comparisons of my own

A Jekyll and Hyde performance from Smillie this week, one that epitomized his team's pattern of play. He and his Eastern teammates had nearly complete domination at stoppage, winning the football at will, but post stoppage they were unable to handle the Dragons pressure and consistently turned the footy over by foot and by hand.

Looks a bit like a right footed Clay Hall

Yeah at this stage of the rebuild we really need some talls, and if there’s no clear standout we may be forced to split. We’ve basically got two drafts to finish the core of the rebuild before tassie starts impacting the drafts.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look at the shoulders on this lad

1712480758866.png

Height : 197cms
Weight : 85kgs

Scaife kicked four goals — three while the game was on the line in the first quarter — in Saturday night’s victory over Perth, unveiling a potent combination with club great Tyler Keitel.

He has a set-shot routine not dissimilar to another gun colts product, Fremantle’s Jye Amiss. It is short, uncomplicated and brutally effective. And he gives it a whack.

Need to remember that in this draft we have no R3 pick after trading it to Richmond to ensure we could draft Hall before filthy phil convinced Dodo to get him

So if we do finish last we have picks 1,21 and 57 before AFL complexities

In 2021 we had an extra R2 pick (attached to Port) as part of the Hickey trade which we used in Bazzo. Our R3 we’d traded to Brisbane the year before for Witherden

In 2022, aside from the R1 pick split, we had Ports R2 pick courtesy of the R1 trade down a year earlier to get Chesser which we used on Burgiel

And in 2023 we had Ports R2 pick from the Rioli trade as part of the R1 pick split

All that meant we had 3,4 and 3 picks inside the top 40 over the last 3 years. In this draft we’ll have just 2 with our 3rd live pick being notionally 57

Becomes important to then manufacture at least 1 additional pick by trading out a player, a pick split or using our F2 or F3 to trade into this draft. What, if anything, happens with NGA rules and potential bids on Malakai Champion will also shape our draft

I think he's got a bit more going on. Not to disparage Clay at all, I liked him a lot last season. Reckon Urquhart is much better overhead, a bit quicker (though still not express) and a more penetrating kick.
Hmmm, we'll see I guess.

Is Xavier Lindsay video far away?? No rush or anything, I just rate him highly

Need to remember that in this draft we have no R3 pick after trading it to Richmond to ensure we could draft Hall before filthy phil convinced Dodo to get him

In 2021 we had an extra R2 pick (attached to Port) as part of the Hickey trade which we used in Bazzo. Our R3 we’d traded to Brisbane the year before for Witherden

In 2022, aside from the R1 pick split, we had Ports R2 pick courtesy of the R1 trade down a year earlier to get Chesser which we used on Burgiel

And in 2023 we had Ports R2 pick from the Rioli trade as part of the R1 pick split

All that meant we had 3,4 and 3 picks inside the top 40 over the last 3 years. In this draft we’ll have just 2 with our 3rd live pick being notionally 57

Becomes important to then manufacture at least 1 additional pick by trading out a player, a pick split or using our F2 or F3 to trade into this draft. What, if anything, happens with NGA rules and potential bids on Malakai Champion will also shape our draft
Assistance package will help

Which players on our list (over 21yo) are tradable with currency? Barrass and BWilliams (both under contract) and that’s it really. Duggo and Ryan have recently inked new deals, ones the skipper annd the other 2 seasons of injury nightmare and I wouldn’t trade Gov or Oscar for anything that would be realistically proposed.

If we can match bids from pick 20 NGA that will make things interesting but I don’t see him getting past Freo’s 3 1R picks after just losing Schultz and Henry.

I was about to say, isn’t Malakai Champion projected to be top 20? So likely to lose out there too.

It’s great being getting ed, for once I wish we do the ***.
Won't be top 20. You need to be a Nick Watson/Pickett kind of talent to be taken that high when you're so tiny imo. He doesn't look to be in their league

Won't be top 20. You need to be a Nick Watson/Pickett kind of talent to be taken that high when you're so tiny imo. He doesn't look to be in their league

Champions problem is that he's a small midfield, not a forward and he's substantially taller than both Pickett and Watson.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back