List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
It's great to have ball winners like Reid but we also need two-way midfielders
Yeo is / was one of the best, but Sheed and Kelly are shizen at defending
As much as i hate to say it Freo have two of the best in Brayshaw and Serong
Hewett and Reid are similar and Hewett is still yet to show his potential.
Ginbey would be good defensively but i feel we need another Serong type in there.

It's great to have ball winners like Reid but we also need two-way midfielders
Yeo is / was one of the best, but Sheed and Kelly are shizen at defending
As much as i hate to say it Freo have two of the best in Brayshaw and Serong
Hewett and Reid are similar and Hewett is still yet to show his potential.
Ginbey would be good defensively but i feel we need another Serong type in there.
We have Hall and Culley who are still relatively untested as full time mids, who could fulfill that role.
If we look at Ports midfield as a rough template, they have Wines who is just an inside bull, 3 more attacking mids in JHF Rozee and Butters, with Drew the only really defensive player.
We could have a similar setup with Culley/Hall to Wines, Ginbey to Drew, and Reid/Hewett/Chesser/some new draftee as the more attacking mids.
Freo probably has a less attacking, more balanced midfield for sure, but with the players we have drafted I think Port is a better template to roughly follow

Put a line through McDonald returning to WA which is hardly surprising

With Treacy coming on they don't even really need him.

Would be better off throwing it at someone like a Warner/McVee, or even trying to prise Busslinger loose.

With Treacy coming on they don't even really need him.
The bloke who squibbed the mark late to lose them the game yesterday?

He's having a reasonable start to the season overall for a developing tall tbf.

Need to remember that in this draft we have no R3 pick after trading it to Richmond to ensure we could draft Hall before filthy phil convinced Dodo to get him

So if we do finish last we have picks 1,21 and 57 before AFL complexities

In 2021 we had an extra R2 pick (attached to Port) as part of the Hickey trade which we used in Bazzo. Our R3 we’d traded to Brisbane the year before for Witherden

In 2022, aside from the R1 pick split, we had Ports R2 pick courtesy of the R1 trade down a year earlier to get Chesser which we used on Burgiel

And in 2023 we had Ports R2 pick from the Rioli trade as part of the R1 pick split

All that meant we had 3,4 and 3 picks inside the top 40 over the last 3 years. In this draft we’ll have just 2 with our 3rd live pick being notionally 57

Becomes important to then manufacture at least 1 additional pick by trading out a player, a pick split or using our F2 or F3 to trade into this draft. What, if anything, happens with NGA rules and potential bids on Malakai Champion will also shape our draft

100% this, we need to be aiming for at least 4 top 30 picks a year. We really need to find an older player to trade out, but I really don’t see many options there. Flynn might be a good one as part of a ruck merry go round if we got English in FA.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I really liked what I saw from him, has real speed for his size.
Thoughts on Cooper Lord? Played some good games for Sandi last year and played on the weekend as a 19 yr old.

27 disposals and was impressive. Possibly an MSD opportunity if he continues like he played on the weekend. Would be interesting to know his combine results from last year.

From an Eagles point of view we aren’t loaded with midfield options and he didn’t look out of place amongst some of the big midfield names of this years draft.

Last edited:
Need to remember that in this draft we have no R3 pick after trading it to Richmond to ensure we could draft Hall before filthy phil convinced Dodo to get him

So if we do finish last we have picks 1,21 and 57 before AFL complexities

In 2021 we had an extra R2 pick (attached to Port) as part of the Hickey trade which we used in Bazzo. Our R3 we’d traded to Brisbane the year before for Witherden

In 2022, aside from the R1 pick split, we had Ports R2 pick courtesy of the R1 trade down a year earlier to get Chesser which we used on Burgiel

And in 2023 we had Ports R2 pick from the Rioli trade as part of the R1 pick split

All that meant we had 3,4 and 3 picks inside the top 40 over the last 3 years. In this draft we’ll have just 2 with our 3rd live pick being notionally 57

Becomes important to then manufacture at least 1 additional pick by trading out a player, a pick split or using our F2 or F3 to trade into this draft. What, if anything, happens with NGA rules and potential bids on Malakai Champion will also shape our draft
Hopefully we can bring our F1 into this year, and split our first rounder if we have targets and there is a suitable offer for us. That would make it 4.
If we trade a F2/F3 for a young player like Buss thats just as good as another draft pick too.

Hopefully we can bring our F1 into this year, and split our first rounder if we have targets and there is a suitable offer for us. That would make it 4.
If we trade a F2/F3 for a young player like Buss thats just as good as another draft pick too.
Not sure what moving our F1 forward will really achieve, just as last year it likely represents a future number 1 pick. We need to find a way to improve our draft hand without sacrificing the future. Some sort of pick purchasing style deal would be ideal for us along with hopefully receiving an assistance package from the AFL.

Not sure what moving our F1 forward will really achieve, just as last year it likely represents a future number 1 pick. We need to find a way to improve our draft hand without sacrificing the future. Some sort of pick purchasing style deal would be ideal for us along with hopefully receiving an assistance package from the AFL.
I find it highly unlikely we win the spoon next year, I dont even think we win it this year. Our F1 at this stage id guess would be around pick 4, so if we could get value equivalent to pick 5/6ish for it I wouldnt be against it, but that being said I wouldnt go advertising it unless we were committed to not splitting our 2024 first pick or we really wanted some specific players.
If we could turn our 1st rounder and F1 into 3 top 10/15 picks, thatd be real nice to fill out the squad with some good talent.

We need talent through the door, the more years we can get into kids before Yeo, Gov, Kelly, etc retire the better.
In 2025 we could always try to bring the 2026 pick forward a year if we wanted another early pick

Did the AFL change the rules After the Geelong/GC deal? I feel there are negligible ways for us to purchase a pick. Not many would come over as part of a salary dump I wouldn't think.

Thoughts on Cooper Lord? Played some good games for Sandi last year and played on the weekend as a 19 yr old.

27 disposals and was impressive. Possibly an MSD opportunity if he continues like he played on the weekend. Would be interesting to know his combine results from last year.

From an Eagles point of view we aren’t loaded with midfield options and he didn’t look out of place amongst some of the big midfield names of this years draft.
I really like him, he was best on ground in the Coates League grand final last year with 31 disposals. From memory was playing for Scotch in school footy most of last year, but thought clubs would've had a good look at him at least with a rookie pick.

Yeah no idea from a testing POV, but he's really hard working and has two way run which is really valuable, plus good in the contest and skills are quite good.

This is what I put up last year on him pre draft.

Watching Coates league prelim and grand final - I really really like Cooper Lord, Sandy Dragons. Late pick steal...

185cm contested midfielder with good skills, particularly by foot, great spread from the contest and loves to tackle. Exact type of midfielder the swans love, and exact reason I'd like to nab him with a late pick.

Good write up from his coach below.

DRAGONS BOLTER

Harding says Cooper Lord is a name to keep a close eye on this season.

He’s a great story - he’s been a bit of a bolter for us. He came into the program in January this year and impressed everyone straight away with his elite running power and contest work. He stands up in tackles and fights tackles like an AFL footballer.”

After recording a game-high nine tackles in round one, Lord has continued to enhance the offensive side of his game over the past two weeks, racking up 21 possessions on Good Friday.

“He’s found himself in some really good spots to get used by teammates. We’ve been delighted with his progress, he’s attracting a lot of attention now and rightly so, he deserves it. He is a great character, and his football is just getting better and better.”

The Scotch College boy is one of the best two-way runners at the club and Harding hailed the balance that Lord gives to the midfield group.

“It’s incredibly important to be a two-way runner. Lord provides a lot of balance to our midfield. He’s the one that often does a lot of the dirty work, he supports his teammates incredibly well. Every week he comes up on our trademark videos, the run-down tackles, all his hard work he does around the contest. His teammates voted him their best player in round one, which I thought was a fantastic reward. It showed his teammates acknowledge and love the contributions he brings to our footy team.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really like him, he was best on ground in the Coates League grand final last year with 31 disposals. From memory was playing for Scotch in school footy most of last year, but thought clubs would've had a good look at him at least with a rookie pick.

Yeah no idea from a testing POV, but he's really hard working and has two way run which is really valuable, plus good in the contest and skills are quite good.

This is what I put up last year on him pre draft.

Watching Coates league prelim and grand final - I really really like Cooper Lord, Sandy Dragons. Late pick steal...

185cm contested midfielder with good skills, particularly by foot, great spread from the contest and loves to tackle. Exact type of midfielder the swans love, and exact reason I'd like to nab him with a late pick.

Good write up from his coach below.

DRAGONS BOLTER

Harding says Cooper Lord is a name to keep a close eye on this season.

He’s a great story - he’s been a bit of a bolter for us. He came into the program in January this year and impressed everyone straight away with his elite running power and contest work. He stands up in tackles and fights tackles like an AFL footballer.”

After recording a game-high nine tackles in round one, Lord has continued to enhance the offensive side of his game over the past two weeks, racking up 21 possessions on Good Friday.

“He’s found himself in some really good spots to get used by teammates. We’ve been delighted with his progress, he’s attracting a lot of attention now and rightly so, he deserves it. He is a great character, and his football is just getting better and better.”

The Scotch College boy is one of the best two-way runners at the club and Harding hailed the balance that Lord gives to the midfield group.

“It’s incredibly important to be a two-way runner. Lord provides a lot of balance to our midfield. He’s the one that often does a lot of the dirty work, he supports his teammates incredibly well. Every week he comes up on our trademark videos, the run-down tackles, all his hard work he does around the contest. His teammates voted him their best player in round one, which I thought was a fantastic reward. It showed his teammates acknowledge and love the contributions he brings to our footy team.”
Thanks for that. Unfortunately I missed the talent league Grand final last year was overseas for a few weeks but do remember him from some games.

He looked impressive on the weekend. If he plays like that going forward it’s hard to see him being overlooked, I just wonder if his combine results or something else put clubs off.

I’d be quite happy from watching him last year and what I saw on the weekend to rookie him. Would enjoy living with his ex teammate Harvey Johnson.

Another Sandi boy who didn’t get huge stats but played in defence and to me looks a talent was Lennox Hofmann. Has pace, was good defensively, and has a lovely accurate penetrating kick. Love the name too. Keep an eye out for him.

Last edited:
Thanks for that. Unfortunately I missed the talent league Grand final last year was overseas for a few weeks but do remember him from some games.

He looked impressive on the weekend. If he plays like that going forward it’s hard to see him being overlooked, I just wonder if his combine results or something else put clubs off.

I’d be quite happy from watching him last year and what I saw on the weekend to rookie him. Would enjoy living with his ex teammate Harvey Johnson.

Another Sandi boy who didn’t get huge stats but played in defence and to me looks a talent was Lennox Hofmann. Has pace, was good defensively, and has a lovely accurate penetrating kick. Love the name too. Keep an eye out for him.
Planning on watching the Sandy vs Eastern game tonight! Was going to drop in on Saturday but time got away from me.

Planning on watching the Sandy vs Eastern game tonight! Was going to drop in on Saturday but time got away from me.
Was a good game.

Moraes looks like he’s been working on his kicking or has just settled as the season has progressed. Very impressive first half has become quite the goal sneak.

Smillie was completely dominate at stoppages. Ashcroft was his normal self just accumulated possessions and suddenly had 30 of them.

Hotton was very good his agility is something else, just has that ugly ball drop. He needs to treat his kicking like a golf swing and get a new one lol.

Trainor didn’t play.

Was a good game.

Moraes looks like he’s been working on his kicking or has just settled as the season has progressed. Very impressive first half has become quite the goal sneak.

Smillie was completely dominate at stoppages. Ashcroft was his normal self just accumulated possessions and suddenly had 30 of them.

Hotton was very good his agility is something else, just has that ugly ball drop. He needs to treat his kicking like a golf swing and get a new one lol.

Trainor didn’t play.

I see a fair bit of Rozee in Moraes, he’s quickly becoming my personal favourite prospect.

In saying that, I think O’Sullivan’s skill set is probably what we require the absolute most.

Smillie is going to be hard to pass up on, what he can do at his size is obviously very rare.

The best and maybe only way to get quality player for nothing in terms of draft picks is Free Agency. But you are limited to the small group of players who currently qualify.

And when you are on the other side of the country and at the bottom of the ladder and percieved to be likely to be at the bottom of the ladder for quite a while to come it is a hard sell.

The only high calibre FA currently available that we would have any shot with is English and the only thing that would get him to come is a boatload of money. We would have to overpay him.

On top of that we would probably need the Bulldogs to have a bad year so that the compensation they get would be a top 5 pick in order that they choose to take the compensation rather than match the offer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I find it highly unlikely we win the spoon next year, I dont even think we win it this year. Our F1 at this stage id guess would be around pick 4, so if we could get value equivalent to pick 5/6ish for it I wouldnt be against it, but that being said I wouldnt go advertising it unless we were committed to not splitting our 2024 first pick or we really wanted some specific players.
If we could turn our 1st rounder and F1 into 3 top 10/15 picks, thatd be real nice to fill out the squad with some good talent.

We need talent through the door, the more years we can get into kids before Yeo, Gov, Kelly, etc retire the better.
In 2025 we could always try to bring the 2026 pick forward a year if we wanted another early pick

The issue with trading our F1 is getting decent value for it

We saw last year that both GWS and Adelaide wouldn’t accept our F1 in a direct swap for pick 8 which we wanted to draft Curtin with

If we’re willing to trade our F1, it’s more likely we use it to trade for a gun established player - someone like Chad Warner for example, as unlikely as that is to happen

Gee Sam Darcy really is something. I reckon Darcy coming along will help English realise he might not be the number 1 ruckman at the dogs in a couple years time, might be the encouragement he needs to look elsewhere
A few in the media have started the Dogs should let Enlgish and Smith go for first round picks.

Could come down to where they finish as they don’t own their own first round pick

The best and maybe only way to get quality player for nothing in terms of draft picks is Free Agency. But you are limited to the small group of players who currently qualify.

And when you are on the other side of the country and at the bottom of the ladder and percieved to be likely to be at the bottom of the ladder for quite a while to come it is a hard sell.

The only high calibre FA currently available that we would have any shot with is English and the only thing that would get him to come is a boatload of money. We would have to overpay him.

On top of that we would probably need the Bulldogs to have a bad year so that the compensation they get would be a top 5 pick in order that they choose to take the compensation rather than match the offer.

Hunt wasn’t a high calibre free agent but has improved our team (maybe not results but we would be worse without him), and Flynn too early to say but it looks currently like he is missed without actually having played for us.

The point being we don’t just have to pick up stars via FA, solid B/C graders are also valuable at the right age.

Keep adding quality through the draft, pick up a decent FA, and in a year or two maybe think about high profile trades.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The issue with trading our F1 is getting decent value for it

We saw last year that both GWS and Adelaide wouldn’t accept our F1 in a direct swap for pick 8 which we wanted to draft Curtin with

If we’re willing to trade our F1, it’s more likely we use it to trade for a gun established player - someone like Chad Warner for example, as unlikely as that is to happen
Actually gobsmacked me a bit that they both rejected our F1 for Curtin and or Gothard (I know it's more complex than that), as the talent in this 2024 pool was already quite obvious and very good.

Some clubs highly rated Curtin and others didn't, only us and Adelaide clambered to get Curtin as we rated him very highly.

Our F1 wasn't as highly rated as I may have thought, which was bankable as a top 2 pick. Proves that F1 pick doesn't really hold value some of us thought it might.

In saying that, I'm glad we kept it as by the end of the year it will be worth a lot more as clubs become enamored with certain prospects.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back