List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
Debuting for the season in round 2 of the Talent League, Lindsay turned in a complete midfield performance to help his team to victory on the day. Winning the ball inside and outside the contest, spreading with hard running, driving the ball forward and hitting the scoreboard.

Actually gobsmacked me a bit that they both rejected our F1 for Curtin and or Gothard (I know it's more complex than that), as the talent in this 2024 pool was already quite obvious and very good.

Some clubs highly rated Curtin and others didn't, only us and Adelaide clambered to get Curtin as we rated him very highly.

Our F1 wasn't as highly rated as I may have thought, which was bankable as a top 2 pick. Proves that F1 pick doesn't really hold value some of us thought it might.

In saying that, I'm glad we kept it as by the end of the year it will be worth a lot more as clubs become enamored with certain prospects.
I know it's all subjective and in the eye of the beholder etc.....but heck me, taking Gothard over pick 1 or 2 in 2024 was a bizarre call to me.

I think Essendon were really in to Curtin too, and the Cats to a lesser extent.

What’s the go with sending picks for salary dumps these days? It’s allowed isn’t it?

Jack Macrae could be an option for us in that scenario. Dogs would be desperate to get his contact off the books. We however wont mind taking it on for a good pick.
We don't need any slow , past their prime midfielders . If we were contending sure but we are not .

Someone like Baker would be good because he could play mid for a couple of years whilst we are developing then trasnfer to the forward or backline once the kids take over

We don't need any slow , past their prime midfielders . If we were contending sure but we are not .

Someone like Baker would be good because he could play mid for a couple of years whilst we are developing then trasnfer to the forward or backline once the kids take over

I am more keen on the possible pick than McCrae. But even though I agree with his limitations, he can get his hands on the ball and is neat enough with his skills. He is definitely not a spud.

I know it's all subjective and in the eye of the beholder etc.....but * me, taking Gothard over pick 1 or 2 in 2024 was a bizarre call to me.

I think Essendon were really in to Curtin too, and the Cats to a lesser extent.
Yep, really strange stuff. They'll likely win the premiership and could've had pick 1 to go with it.

I dont think we're a chance of splitting Pick 1 this year, or enticing anyone to part with top 10 pick for F1 either. Unless there is someone who is a big fish requesting a trade and they need three-way deal, I cant see it happening.

The way I see it is a three-year plan of getting the three best kids into the side + a core group to complement what we are trying to build.

Harley Reid + Pick 1 - 2024 and Pick 1 - 2025 (As for the draft watchers ITK anyone in 2025 that showing early signs that they will be there at the pointy end? , and my hope is that we get assistance in both drafts.

Aim for certain recruits to come back home by throwing extra coin and using the assistance package (Busslinger, Walters, Curtin, Tholstrup, Hardeman, Collard (2023) and Allan, Jones and maybe Adams (2022).

We should not be trading anyone that requires significant draft capital, but throw big money at Free Agents that cost nothing. And even more importantly target onfield coaches that would cost nothing but provide every bit of development for our kids aka Hodge, Lewis and Mitchell sort of deals.

I dont think we're a chance of splitting Pick 1 this year, or enticing anyone to part with top 10 pick for F1 either. Unless there is someone who is a big fish requesting a trade and they need three-way deal, I cant see it happening.

The way I see it is a three-year plan of getting the three best kids into the side + a core group to complement what we are trying to build.

Harley Reid + Pick 1 - 2024 and Pick 1 - 2025 (As for the draft watchers ITK anyone in 2025 that showing early signs that they will be there at the pointy end? , and my hope is that we get assistance in both drafts.

Aim for certain recruits to come back home by throwing extra coin and using the assistance package (Busslinger, Walters, Curtin, Tholstrup, Hardeman, Collard (2023) and Allan, Jones and maybe Adams (2022).

We should not be trading anyone that requires significant draft capital, but throw big money at Free Agents that cost nothing. And even more importantly target onfield coaches that would cost nothing but provide every bit of development for our kids aka Hodge, Lewis and Mitchell sort of deals.
Good synopsis. I think we’ll either get assistance or split picks this year otherwise we are left with only 3 picks and one of those is 4R. What I don’t want to do is get sucked in to trading future picks unless it’s for other future picks. Let them carry their value and use them in the draft they are meant for, not the sugar hit 12 months before. Old heads I’d go after are Boak, Ward, Duncan if we take that path.

Moraes continued his hot streak in front of goal, adding three more to his seasons tally. Overall though, he had a quieter game this week as his Eastern team struggled to move the ball against a strong Dragons outfit.

Disagree re splitting the 1st, I'd say it's more likely they do split.

It seems a pretty even top end at this point with a lot of VM, and WC haven't taken many Metro players recently....Could be a good year to split like 2022 imo

Disagree re splitting the 1st, I'd say it's more likely they do split.

It seems a pretty even top end at this point with a lot of VM, and WC haven't taken many Metro players recently....Could be a good year to split like 2022 imo
I agree re splitting this year if you can. You have to find a team with multiple firsts who also wants to get up the draft order... which could be difficult considering all the AFL clubs will have the same intel and will know how even its looking.

I can see the merit, but it didnt happen with Reid or Curtin then I doubt it will happen with three to five kids showing that all could be worthy of Pick 1/F1.

Dyson Sharp from SA has long been the kid ordained as the number 1 for 2025. Chunky big boy midfielder who can get inside to out with a nice step and a booming kick.

Thanks mate and cheers for the regular videos!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree re splitting this year if you can. You have to find a team with multiple firsts who also wants to get up the draft order... which could be difficult considering all the AFL clubs will have the same intel and will know how even its looking.
Some clubs will fall in love with certain players imo, it's always the case.

When a recruiting dept meet Smillie for an interview and see he's as tall as a ruck, they'll get fomo......hopefully

They only real option for splitting is probably GC isn’t it? Wanting to get ahead of a pick for whatever academy kid they have. Or Adelaide if wanting to get ahead of Welsh if he develops. Curtin probably the target in that case.

Feel like most teams have similar intel around the top end generally so may lack motive.

They only real option for splitting is probably GC isn’t it? Wanting to get ahead of a pick for whatever academy kid they have. Or Adelaide if wanting to get ahead of Welsh if he develops. Curtin probably the target in that case.

Feel like most teams have similar intel around the top end generally so may lack motive.
Yeah most likely Gold Coast who have 3 first rounders, Richmond maybe if their first and Baker is up for grabs(obviously theyd need to add plenty more to this), Crows with Curtin, also North maybe with Hardeman.
Depends how the top of the draft looks, wont know for sure until closer to the end of the year

What’s the go with sending picks for salary dumps these days? It’s allowed isn’t it?

Jack Macrae could be an option for us in that scenario. Dogs would be desperate to get his contact off the books. We however wont mind taking it on for a good pick.
If dogs were willing to stump up a second rounder or better that could be a great move for us. Macrae wouldn't be horrible for us on a wing (better than Gaff) and could shelter some of the kids a bit.

More importantly, anything we can do to improve our draft hand is an absolute must.

Yeah most likely Gold Coast who have 3 first rounders, Richmond maybe if their first and Baker is up for grabs(obviously theyd need to add plenty more to this), Crows with Curtin, also North maybe with Hardeman.
Depends how the top of the draft looks, wont know for sure until closer to the end of the year
It seems like GC have 2-3 first rounders every year. Plus another 1 or 2 northern academy matches.

It's a wonder they have anyone on their list who isn't a 1st rounder.

It seems like GC have 2-3 first rounders every year. Plus another 1 or 2 northern academy matches.

It's a wonder they have anyone on their list who isn't a 1st rounder.
Benefits of being able to sell their high pick to the highest bidder every year without missing out on elite talent. Completely broken system.
Itd be good if they started drafting a few more WA guys so when they inevitably get moved on after 2 years because theyre not a top 10 pick we could snag a few decent players for cheap, same as Freo got with Sharp

If dogs were willing to stump up a second rounder or better that could be a great move for us. Macrae wouldn't be horrible for us on a wing (better than Gaff) and could shelter some of the kids a bit.

More importantly, anything we can do to improve our draft hand is an absolute must.
If theyre willing to add a second rounder, they may as well just give us Buss to take Macrae off their hands :handok:
Caleb Daniel would be a nice one to add too, id even throw in a 3rd rounder for him

Remove this Banner Ad

Back