Corona virus, Port and the AFL. Part 2.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
People have to stop depending on government direction to protect them.
If you are over 60 or have other risk factors then decide for yourself whether you need to isolate.

South Australia is now open to NSW which has again seen a rise in community transmission.
Our state has become a guinea pig for this experiment.
Boundaries are being pushed further in an attempt to balance health and commercial risks.

Our federal government has just spent nearly 1 trillion dollars on getting people back to work.
You can't expect a government to manage people adequately on a case by case basis.

Weigh up the risks and make decisions based on your individual situation.
What you can expect is the coalition to manage people on a mate by mate basis.

They also sold the track and trace system to a private bidder (cost hundreds of millions for taxpayers) who then used a cheap arse excel based system that lost thousands of cases.
fu** the Tories!
It was estimated they didn't track 50k close contacts of positive cases because of the excel files being too large. I think they may now be trying to trace those contacts a couple of weeks later?
That they used excel and charged hundreds of millions should be enough to bring down a corrupt government in normal times.
Excel should never ever be used for large quantities of information, particularly if access to the document is shared among multiple users.

Closely resembles the American model.

After Tuesday's budget its not just the American model.
We are spending up to 1 trillion dollars to fire things up again while the virus is still at its peak or having a second wave in many countries.

All I'm saying is, make your own mind up on your safety, don't depend on the government to protect you.

After Tuesday's budget its not just the American model.
We are spending up to 1 trillion dollars to fire things up again while the virus is still at its peak or having a second wave in many countries.

All I'm saying is, make your own mind up on your safety, don't depend on the government to protect you.
Where do you get $1 trillion from?

Are you saying $1 trillion over and above previous budget amounts over the second half of 2019-20 and 2020-21 and 2021-22?

The 2019-20 budget estimated in 2019-20 the government would spend $493.3bil, then in 2020-21 $511.3bil, and in 2021-22 $533.2.

Tuesday's budget confirmed they spent $549.6bil in 2019-20 ie $56.3bil more than budgeted, 2020-21 is $677.4bil and 2021-22 is $563.9bil.

That's a long way short of $1 trillion over and above the amounts budgeted in May 2019.

Where do you get $1 trillion from?

Are you saying $1 trillion over and above previous budget amounts over the second half of 2019-20 and 2020-21 and 2021-22?

The 2019-20 budget estimated in 2019-20 the government would spend $493.3bil, then in 2020-21 $511.3bil, and in 2021-22 $533.2.

Tuesday's budget confirmed they spent $549.6bil in 2019-20 ie $56.3bil more than budgeted, 2020-21 is $677.4bil and 2021-22 is $563.9bil.

That's a long way short of $1 trillion over and above the amounts budgeted in May 2019.

I said spending but I should have said extending debt up to 1 trillion.

The point remains though, an escalation in spending to get more people into work shows the government's momentum at a time when covid is causing serious issues again in places like Europe. You need to take responsibility for your own health, not expect the government's planning to suit everyone.

I said spending but I should have said extending debt up to 1 trillion.

The point remains though, an escalation in spending to get more people into work shows the government's momentum at a time when covid is causing serious issues again in places like Europe. You need to take responsibility for your own health, not expect the government's planning to suit everyone.
It’s both. The government needs to step up (and has) on health, but we still have 20-30% who smoke, lots of binge drinking and are (like most Western countries) full of overweight people who don’t exercise anywhere near enough.

The Spanish Government has enforced a lock down in Madrid for two weeks. It doesn't help that they are fighting each other nor that the lock down isn't going to be long enough. I can also understand the opposition from citizens who do not want to be confined to their homes but as we have seen in Victoria if you are going to lock down effectively it has to be for 6 weeks minimum. Any less and you will only be back where you started in a few months. The Spanish were among the hardest hit in the so called first wave but they were also among the first to open up for business after their lock down.

The Spanish approach is obviously that they will live with a manageable amount of infection and apply short lock downs to keep the spread in check. This is fine except that in addition to learning to live with a virus the population will also have to learn to live with lock downs every few months. Some Governments are playing a waiting game until a vaccine is developed, or effective treatments are developed or on the off chance that herd immunity suddenly materialises.

Decide for yourself if you need to isolate being if you don’t want to die stay home bad luck?
You have underlying health issues and still need to work to make a living bad luck?

In Victoria people with COVID-19 symptoms who are required to isolate can apply for Federal Government assistance to offset loss of income. That may not apply in all States but as things stand it does not have to.

14 cases in Victoria overnight. I think that makes 57 in 5 days? So we need 12 cases or less in the next 9 days to meet the criteria for easing restrictions. If these f$%ers come out today and again say it is going to be close, 50/50, I swear I am going to fold my arms. Sick of lying spin. It will be interesting to see if there will be any easing of restrictions in 9 days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mean, if you've been in lockdown for about 3 months and the number is sort of stuck at 10ish, it might illustrate that the number isn't going to go any lower regardless of how long you stay in lockdown.
Or that people need to realise lockdown means them as well, not everyone else, if you do want it to end.

The World Health Organisation has backflipped on its original COVID-19 stance after calling for world leaders to stop locking down their countries and economies.

Dr. David Nabarro from the WHO appealed to world leaders yesterday, telling them to stop “using lockdowns as your primary control method” of the coronavirus.

He also claimed that the only thing lockdowns achieved was poverty – with no mention of the potential lives saved.

“Lockdowns just have one consequence that you must never ever belittle, and that is making poor people an awful lot poorer,” he said.

Nice BS headline from Murdoch. Read what the good doctor WHO actually says in his Twitter account.

A special adviser to the World Health Organisation has urged governments not to use lockdowns as their primary method of controlling the spread of COVID-19, saying strict restrictions had a dramatic negative effect on lives.
David Nabarro, the WHO’s coronavirus special envoy, said lockdowns “just have one consequence that you must never, ever belittle — and that is making poor people an awful lot poorer”.

“The only time we believe a lockdown is justified is to buy you time to reorganise, regroup, rebalance your resources, protect your health workers who are exhausted — but by and large, we’d rather not do it,” he said.

Dr Nabarro, who made the comments in an interview with Britain’s The Spectator, said it was preferable to have tracing and hospital plans in place to deal with the coronavirus.

“And so we really do appeal to all world leaders: stop using lockdown as your primary control method. Develop better systems for doing it. Work together and learn from each other,” he said.

“It seems that we may well have a doubling of world poverty by next year,” he said.

“We may well have at least a doubling of child malnutrition. This is a terrible, ghastly global catastrophe.”

Lockdowns are a first world privilege.

A nice way for the middle to upper classes of privileged countries to feel good about themselves while the rest of the world burns.

I mean, if you've been in lockdown for about 3 months and the number is sort of stuck at 10ish, it might illustrate that the number isn't going to go any lower regardless of how long you stay in lockdown.

It will go down eventually as it has in Sydney, but it will take a lot longer than Daniel Andrews and his advisors thought it would. It looks like getting to 10 was the easy bit but going sub 5 is a lot harder. To get there by October 19 was always fanciful. Andrews could try easing some restrictions and reapplying them if the numbers surge. I think Melburnians are expecting something on October 19 and if they do not get it there will be civil disobedience.

There are probably just enough asymptomatic cases in Melbourne to keep the virus numbers ticking over.

A nice way for the middle to upper classes of privileged countries to feel good about themselves while the rest of the world burns.
They are, but like top level health care, you'd be daft not to use it.

Saying that, Melbourne need to start moving forward now, a short term curve flattening and move into being careful is great, constant lockdown isn't so much.

Britain have shown that the track and trace given to private companies hasn't worked! $12 billion for a spreadsheet that didnt work.

Found the cousin

Daniel Andrews' top public servant quits over hotel quarantine evidence

Hopefully now people won’t be accused of killing grandma when discussing the impacts of lockdowns on peoples lives, particularly those in hospitality and tourism.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back