Mega Thread Cost of Living Allowance (COLA) discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

All we get out of the new found Sydney Flogs is "but Hawks and Crows are bitter"

They then proceed to ignore all the neutrals who know why the AFL give Sydney a leg up.

tazhawk

You have been reported. I, along with my fellow swan fans, are sick and tried of your constant derailing of swans thread to suit your bitter ranting. You sprout mistruths and call us flogs..yet you are still allowed to post?

Hopefully someone will ban you from the main board or swans threads.

I deflect nothing. If you go back through this thread you'll find my answer to that question.

Now back to the topic of the biggest bandwagoners in the AFL:

Hawthorn Members (2007): 31,064
Hawthorn Members (2013): 62,818

Wow. That's half of your membership base that are bandwagon jumping flogs. Any wonder so many of you know so little about the game. Embarrassing.

Thats pathetic.

All teams have bandwagoners, its part of sport.

Does that tally include pet memberships as well? Thats a concept that should be laughed at but somehow the mayblooms escape allm kinds of ridicule.

So it could be argued that a better zone was due to work club put in. Not denying there is a component of luck.
Oh? What efforts did Hawthorn make to nurture the talent in their region? Do you honestly believe that one of the most uneven periods in the competition's history was based more on a few weekly clinics than the fact that some clubs got access to big country zones whereas others got to choose from Sunraysia?

However there is no merit/ hard work in getting a bigger salary cap.

There's no merit in being given access to better recruiting grounds based on nothing either, but make hay while the sun shines.

If someone just doesnt like the place hs is at, why force him to stay. Tippett hates adelaide and so does 3/4 of australia.

When i went i was gobsmacked how its the only australian city that still makes me feel like its 1981.

There is nothing to like about the place, it's just one massive regional town.

In this way, it is great to live in...horrible to visit.
I've lived in 3 different capital cities and Adelaide is the best by far.

Thats pathetic.

All teams have bandwagoners, its part of sport.

Does that tally include pet memberships as well? Thats a concept that should be laughed at but somehow the mayblooms escape allm kinds of ridicule.

Not on this board it doesnt.
Search a bit harder. The Hawks pet memberships have been mentioned many many times and laughed at.

Oh? What efforts did Hawthorn make to nurture the talent in their region? Do you honestly believe that one of the most uneven periods in the competition's history was based more on a few weekly clinics than the fact that some clubs got access to big country zones whereas others got to choose from Sunraysia?

There's no merit in being given access to better recruiting grounds based on nothing either, but make hay while the sun shines.

From wiki you had riverina, not sunraysia and that Would that be where Wayne Carey hailed from? Also the Danihers. Doesn't sound an unproductive zone to me.

Don't tar us with saying we did nothing for the zone just because your club was incapable.
And since the afl did away with the zones that you call unfair, makes sense to do away with cola as well

From wiki you had riverina, not sunraysia and that Would that be where Wayne Carey hailed from? Also the Danihers. Doesn't sound an unproductive zone to me.
No, the bulldogs had sunraysia. It was a comparative point.

Don't tar us with saying we did nothing for the zone just because your club was incapable.
I didn't. I asked how the Hawks developed their zone. Any answers? You did mention earlier that the Swans had the Riverina. How would an amateur football club at that time develop a zone that spread hundreds of kilometres away?

And since the afl did away with the zones that you call unfair, makes sense to do away with cola as well
Don't care either way. Just find hawks fans screaming about unfairness a but droll given the pride over 'the most success team in 50 years'.

No it's about the tv networks, nothing to do with growing the game in rugby states (see Brisbane losing there's) the AFL will only get billion dollar rights deals if swans are playing finals, it's not hard to figureout just look at the AFL grandfinal ratings top 3 are all swans.

The reason we will always get an advantage is why the same club's in Vic will always get the big MCG games regardless of form or ladder position the networks demand it for tv ratings.

Sydney is the biggest tv market, and come finals this is worth massive massive dollars. it's what brings the payday and vlad and all the club presidents will continue to vote in favour of the cola to protect that payday, despite what they say publicly.

I'd say its a little bit of both, but your right. The TV rights are where the money is.

In any case, the system is hardly equitable.

No, the bulldogs had sunraysia. It was a comparative point.

I didn't. I asked how the Hawks developed their zone. Any answers? You did mention earlier that the Swans had the Riverina. How would an amateur football club at that time develop a zone that spread hundreds of kilometres away?

Don't care either way. Just find hawks fans screaming about unfairness a but droll given the pride over 'the most success team in 50 years'.

Not involved with the club so can't answer your question re zone development. But appears one of the swans issues was inability to identify agent in zone. A bit like our inability to identify talent in 2006 draft (thorp!)

And we scream about unfairness because we want change, just as the zone system was removed and a draft put in.

I'd say its a little bit of both, but your right. The TV rights are where the money is.

In any case, the system is hardly equitable.

But this is my point there's no equality in the league and there never will be at the end of the day all clubs have to sign of on the cola, this includes the biggest naysayers like Eddie.

They will always vote in favour of it, it's comparable to the leg ups in big games and sponsorships that the top Vic clubs get. It's the same as Tassie being cut out of expansion not to grow the game in western Sydney but protect certain Vic clubs. Using Tassie government funding to keep their clubs afloat.

Eddie and co that bleat about the cola overstate its advantage and brew conspiracy theories about how it's spent to distract from issues with their own clubs.

There's plenty of advantages and disadvantages throughout the league the cola being one of them but as long as the league wants massive tv rights deals (which with crack downs on gambling looking likely they do) nothing will be done.

Tv rights deals have allowed the league to implement disequalisation funding which at one time or another all teams have needed or will need. The tv rights have been the only thing that's prevented some clubs from folding (most recently Melbourne) where in not only does it provide the cash needed to help fund struggling clubs but demands there's X teams in the comp.

The offset is that the massive dollars requires the Sydney market, the AFL have reviewed the disadvantages with Sydney players staying in Sydney where in real terms there ability to earn outside of their contract is reduced, less sponsorship and less exposure it endorsement markets means player retention is down.

The cola offsets this by making Sydney just as lucrative as a big Vic club.

But this is my point there's no equality in the league and there never will be at the end of the day all clubs have to sign of on the cola, this includes the biggest naysayers like Eddie.

They will always vote in favour of it, it's comparable to the leg ups in big games and sponsorships that the top Vic clubs get. It's the same as Tassie being cut out of expansion not to grow the game in western Sydney but protect certain Vic clubs. Using Tassie government funding to keep their clubs afloat.

Eddie and co that bleat about the cola overstate its advantage and brew conspiracy theories about how it's spent to distract from issues with their own clubs.

There's plenty of advantages and disadvantages throughout the league the cola being one of them but as long as the league wants massive tv rights deals (which with crack downs on gambling looking likely they do) nothing will be done.

Tv rights deals have allowed the league to implement disequalisation funding which at one time or another all teams have needed or will need. The tv rights have been the only thing that's prevented some clubs from folding (most recently Melbourne) where in not only does it provide the cash needed to help fund struggling clubs but demands there's X teams in the comp.

The offset is that the massive dollars requires the Sydney market, the AFL have reviewed the disadvantages with Sydney players staying in Sydney where in real terms there ability to earn outside of their contract is reduced, less sponsorship and less exposure it endorsement markets means player retention is down.

The cola offsets this by making Sydney just as lucrative as a big Vic club.

Well said.. What are you doing on BF?? ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sydney is only 1.3% more expensive nowadays anyway.

Country
City
WCOL index (New York=100)
Rank
Rank movement
Switzerland
Zurich
Japan
Tokyo
Switzerland
Geneva
3=
Japan
Osaka Kobe
3=
Norway
Oslo
France
Paris
Australia
Sydney
Australia
Melbourne
Singapore
Singapore

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/travel/news/...ld/story-e6frfq80-1226271248597#ixzz2a7yUNqzi

Sydney is only 1.3% more expensive nowadays anyway.

Country
City
WCOL index (New York=100)
Rank
Rank movement
Switzerland
Zurich
Japan
Tokyo
Switzerland
Geneva
3=
Japan
Osaka Kobe
3=
Norway
Oslo
France
Paris
Australia
Sydney
Australia
Melbourne
Singapore
Singapore

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/travel/news/...ld/story-e6frfq80-1226271248597#ixzz2a7yUNqzi

Yes but has been stated, the 3rd party agreements are no where near as lucrative for players up here. Nor do we get the big Anzac day clashs etc that vic gets.

Over all it equals out for all clubs bar the WA, SA and Qld clubs. They really should be the only ones complaining because they get squat, bar the benefits of 3rd party deals.

Seriously is that right? I read so often the COLA comments, in various threads and had always assumed it is used by the Swans, to snare the extra one or two players, with the extra cash. Is it paid as an extra 9.8% to all players?

If so, you can argue whether it should be 9.8% or lower, or only apply those on salaries below $200k, but this is not the rort, that it is commonly displayed as.
It is right. There is a lot of uneducated posters sprouting untruths about how it works. You can garauntee if we hadn't won last year, it would be a non-event, but we did, and then signed Tippet and holy hell! We cleared space for him in our cap, as per the rules, but no!! we used that extra 9.8% of the entire cap to sign him. Nuffies. I am just fine with it being looked at, and certainly the idea of plus 200,00 or so being exempt has merit.As a club and a league I think we are beyond the "go home" factor, apart from a few sooks, and genuine cost of living should be looked at for all clubs. Or is that for to rational for BigFooty?

It is right. There is a lot of uneducated posters sprouting untruths about how it works. You can garauntee if we hadn't won last year, it would be a non-event, but we did, and then signed Tippet and holy hell! We cleared space for him in our cap, as per the rules, but no!! we used that extra 9.8% of the entire cap to sign him. Nuffies. I am just fine with it being looked at, and certainly the idea of plus 200,00 or so being exempt has merit.As a club and a league I think we are beyond the "go home" factor, apart from a few sooks, and genuine cost of living should be looked at for all clubs. Or is that for to rational for BigFooty?

Thanks for that Appreciated the clarification and now can see why Sydney posters show frustration with these comments, as they aren't even close to what is reality. Good luck for the rest of your season.

Thanks for that Appreciated the clarification and now can see why Sydney posters show frustration with these comments, as they aren't even close to what is reality. Good luck for the rest of your season.
Cheers mate. It is a little frustrating, but I shake my head at the refusal to see the truth. Especially Hawks fans. In the end, the AFL will sort it out, but geez, imagine the meltdown if we win it with our COLA flavoured Tippet:D..hilarity would ensue.

Nice link. Scroll down to the Cost Of Living Index graph. Is Perths cost of living higher than Sydneys?

Where is our Cola?

You have strong support, big crowds and can afford to spend some time out of the 8; no CoLA for you.

Aside from anything else, I think some people need to readjust their thinking on how much at AFL players are earning. The average recruit is nowhere near close to "set for life" after their time in the AFL system. Most guys would be lucky to own an apartment.

It's not NBA/EPL money.

If they spend 3-4 years on a list and play a decent number of games, they'll come out of it a hell of a lot better placed than most 22 year olds.

You have strong support, big crowds and can afford to spend some time out of the 8; no CoLA for you.

If they spend 3-4 years on a list and play a decent number of games, they'll come out of it a hell of a lot better placed than most 22 year olds.

is this COLA you refer too, like the COOL AID used by some other high profile groups?

bump

so, do any of you read grantland?

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9615240/nfl-targets-london-franchise

the paragraph about the swans appeared at the exact moment i thought to myself "i wonder if barnwell has heard of the COLA?"

article said:
There's actually a worldwide precedent for this. In Australia, the Sydney Swans of the Australian Football League enjoy a larger salary cap than the rest of the league because of a Cost of Living Allowance given to the team in Australia's most populous and expensive city. It is probably not a coincidence that the Swans are also one of the league's most successful franchises, having made the playoffs more frequently than any other AFL team since 1995.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back