Mega Thread COVID-19 Carlton & the AFL - NO POLITICS/NO RELIGION/NO CONSPIRACIES ETC

Remove this Banner Ad

Balanced approach?

I think Vic need to do exactly what NSW did in relation to getting jabs in arms in the suburbs with higher ethnic/essential workers. These same areas in Sydney were in a longer lockdown but now their jab numbers are the best in the state.
Instead of a police car on every corner, put up a temporary vaccination tent.

I think it takes ten years to train an ICU doctor, and about 5 to train an ICU nurse. It's not as simple as throw money at the problem and it will go away.

Probably not giving enough credit to the nurses and doctors currently in the system that aren't ICU trained, there was some work in VIC done at the start of the pandemic for getting other specialization nurses into extra training to be ready. not sure how that went as my wife has been on maternity leave so didn't get involved.

There was also an opportunity at the start of the pandemic to really incentivise getting graduate nurses out in 2-3 years. except there didn't seem to be any effort there. While graduates aren't going to solve our ICU problem. they can with assistance take some of the strain off of experienced nurses in less acute areas which allows you to redeploy those nurses into ICU. and you'd also be surprised at how much a junior (>1 year out of university) nurse can take on and how effective they can be.

Imagine if instead of shipping in only ~300 drs/nurses from overseas the VIC Gov decided to pay the HECS debt of all nurses for the next 5-10 years. or add a $10k a year hazard pay for working on a covid/ICU ward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably not giving enough credit to the nurses and doctors currently in the system that aren't ICU trained, there was some work in VIC done at the start of the pandemic for getting other specialization nurses into extra training to be ready. not sure how that went as my wife has been on maternity leave so didn't get involved.

There was also an opportunity at the start of the pandemic to really incentivise getting graduate nurses out in 2-3 years. except there didn't seem to be any effort there. While graduates aren't going to solve our ICU problem. they can with assistance take some of the strain off of experienced nurses in less acute areas which allows you to redeploy those nurses into ICU. and you'd also be surprised at how much a junior (>1 year out of university) nurse can take on and how effective they can be.

Imagine if instead of shipping in only ~300 drs/nurses from overseas the VIC Gov decided to pay the HECS debt of all nurses for the next 5-10 years. or add a $10k a year hazard pay for working on a covid/ICU ward.
Yeah you’re right, I didn’t know about the incentives that were on offer. One of my friends is a nurse and so many of her colleagues are reconsidering their nursing careers altogether at the moment due to burnout. It’s awful.

Yeah you’re right, I didn’t know about the incentives that were on offer. One of my friends is a nurse and so many of her colleagues are reconsidering their nursing careers altogether at the moment due to burnout. It’s awful.

The strain on the nursing system is exacerbated by the number of them that have left regular duties to become Immunisation nurses. Hopefully that balances up a bit as vaccination levels get to a point where there is less need for so many of them in that role.

The strain on the nursing system is exacerbated by the number of them that have left regular duties to become Immunisation nurses. Hopefully that balances up a bit as vaccination levels get to a point where there is less need for so many of them in that role.

But unfortunately (anecdotally) there seems to be a big group of close to retirement nurses that this has just pushed them over the edge and they've retired earlier than they may have otherwise. Hopefully what I've seen anecdotally isn't actually supported by data because it's not a good sign when it's only getting worse from here.

But unfortunately (anecdotally) there seems to be a big group of close to retirement nurses that this has just pushed them over the edge and they've retired earlier than they may have otherwise. Hopefully what I've seen anecdotally isn't actually supported by data because it's not a good sign when it's only getting worse from here.
Yep, my wife is 54 and it wouldn't take much to tip her over the edge. Christmas leave being cancelled is another nail in the coffin. The remaining RN's copping more night shifts etc. just makes it even harder.

and this is the concern, what is the vaccine potentially going to do to kids. The role out has been hasty and not enough time has passed to really assess the adult reactions. Developing kids getting untested product to facilitate opening of borders to "clean" states is just wrong. I understand the frustrations, more empathy than understanding if honest, but we are largely uncompromised up here as in the west. what if we severely compromise the futures of a generation of kids, just so the entitled can have a bloody holiday.

Coona Blues - this article was written in July this year. I let you read it and take what you can from it.

Extremely hasty in vaccine history yes.
I think you'll find that this isn't just some vaccine that was thought up overnight. There was money being pumped in that allowed it to happen faster

The mRNA vaccines have been worked on in some capacity for the last 20-30 years,

Most of the speed with the vaccine has been around getting funding and running trials. Instead of waiting and waiting for funding the money has been flowing. All the regular checks and balances have been completed now that would for any other vaccination.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk

I think you'll find that this isn't just some vaccine that was thought up overnight. There was money being pumped in that allowed it to happen faster

The mRNA vaccines have been worked on in some capacity for the last 20-30 years,

Most of the speed with the vaccine has been around getting funding and running trials. Instead of waiting and waiting for funding the money has been flowing. All the regular checks and balances have been completed now that would for any other vaccination.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk
Exactly. Well said.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back