Crows Best 22 (2015 edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey guys, been following the board over the pre-season and have now decided to join. For my first post I wanted some peoples thoughts on where our list is at, I think most people wpould agree on the top 10 players at the club, and you could just about through a blanket over our 16-30 players, but who would rank as our players from 11-15?

Welcome

In no particular order

Mckay
Van Berlo
Lynch
Jenkins
Jaensch

Just reading the threads about who should come in ahead of who for this weeks game and I thought that, hey, why not return to this thread and see what's changed after the first six weeks. So here goes. Below is, with no injuries, undoubtedly and indisputably our best 22, no arguments and no returns.

B: Brown Talia Cheney
HB: Laird Lever Jaensch
C: Smith Dangerfield Henderson
HF: Grigg Jenkins Cameron
FF: Betts Walker Lynch
Followers: Jacobs Sloane B. Crouch
IC: Thompson M. Crouch Kelly Kerridge

Any one of Kerridge, Grigg, Cameron or Kelly could be the sub.

Just reading the threads about who should come in ahead of who for this weeks game and I thought that, hey, why not return to this thread and see what's changed after the first six weeks. So here goes. Below is, with no injuries, undoubtedly and indisputably our best 22, no arguments and no returns.

Douglas is in when fully fit

Douglas and CEY in.

Douglas and CEY in.

Oh yeah. I forgot about those guys.... So Cameron for Douglas and if you're being brave, Thompson for CEY.

C: Smith CEY Henderson
HF: Grigg Jenkins Dangerfield
IC: Douglas M. Crouch Kelly Kerridge

You've then got a couple of guys on the bench who can play forward/back/through the centre in Douglas and Kerridge, Kelly is your man to swing down back, while M. Crouch is a young gun who simply needs to play.

I hope sometime this season we can actually see this team on the park. I believe this is our best 22. Lever if he continues in the manner of his debut could crack into it as could henderson or mackay but would rather see it like this.

B. BROWN TALIA KELLY
HB. JAENSCH CHENEY SMITH
C. SLOANE B.CROUCH GRIGG
HF. LYNCH WALKER DOUGLAS
F. BETTS JENKINS DANGERFIELD
R. JACOBS ELLIS YOLMEN THOMPSON
I. M.CROUCH, CAMERON, LAIRD, KERRIDGE

What if, just what if Sam Shaw is able to overcome his hamstring problem and this ridiculous procedure actually pays off? A fit Sam Shaw defending like he in 2012 would be a huge boost.

He's listed as 2-3 weeks away. So could be playing SANFL by round 10 (in AFL terms). Let's just say he's played a handful of games and is fit by about round 15, surely we'd give him a shot. Just tell him to play almost a pure shutdown role and when he has the ball, get it to Jaensch, Brown, Laird, Lever, Hendo and let them take care of the rest.

As I said above, Sam Shaw in 2012 was very much an underrated asset alongside Talia in that great run that we had. Not getting my hopes up too high, but if he can make a return to our senior side and play that 2nd tall alongside Talia would be a huge boost. He's quite mobile too:thumbsu:

What if, just what if Sam Shaw is able to overcome his hamstring problem and this ridiculous procedure actually pays off? A fit Sam Shaw defending like he in 2012 would be a huge boost.

He's listed as 2-3 weeks away. So could be playing SANFL by round 10 (in AFL terms). Let's just say he's played a handful of games and is fit by about round 15, surely we'd give him a shot. Just tell him to play almost a pure shutdown role and when he has the ball, get it to Jaensch, Brown, Laird, Lever, Hendo and let them take care of the rest.

As I said above, Sam Shaw in 2012 was very much an underrated asset alongside Talia in that great run that we had. Not getting my hopes up too high, but if he can make a return to our senior side and play that 2nd tall alongside Talia would be a huge boost. He's quite mobile too:thumbsu:
Thing is, Shaw is still more of a 3rd tall then a second KP defender isn't he? Like is he capable of actually playing on those big/strong forwards? Obviously Talia will get the main one, but not sure he has the body frame to match up on some of the kp forwards in the comp.

Thing is, Shaw is still more of a 3rd tall then a second KP defender isn't he? Like is he capable of actually playing on those big/strong forwards? Obviously Talia will get the main one, but not sure he has the body frame to match up on some of the kp forwards in the comp.

According to his profile he is 90 kg. Not exactly the Hulk.

That was one of my concerns, but we can only see when he returns to full fitness. I liked Shaw cos of his athleticism, speed and versatility when he played. Probably more similar to Hartigan physically than Talia.

We saw Talia get killed time and time again on the lead by a player like Ryder. Didn't recall Shaw being beaten too easily 1v1 when he was playing...

I hope sometime this season we can actually see this team on the park. I believe this is our best 22. Lever if he continues in the manner of his debut could crack into it as could henderson or mackay but would rather see it like this.

B. BROWN TALIA KELLY
HB. JAENSCH CHENEY SMITH
C. SLOANE B.CROUCH GRIGG
HF. LYNCH WALKER DOUGLAS
F. BETTS JENKINS DANGERFIELD
R. JACOBS ELLIS YOLMEN THOMPSON
I. M.CROUCH, CAMERON, LAIRD, KERRIDGE

I reckon a fit Otten is probably still ahead of Kelly and Lever at this stage. That might change by the end of the season though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Long way back from two recos. He seemed to lose a bit of mobility from the first one too. Fingers crossed for him.

It doesn't get mentioned like the Hentschel one but we were robbed of a bloody good player when Otten went down. His 2009 was excellent. Has never been quite the same since.

I reckon a fit Otten is probably still ahead of Kelly and Lever at this stage. That might change by the end of the season though.
Im writing off otten for this year. I dont think the club would risk putting him in unless we go deep in finals and hes got a solid month of sanfl footy in him.

Long way back from two recos. He seemed to lose a bit of mobility from the first one too. Fingers crossed for him.

It doesn't get mentioned like the Hentschel one but we were robbed of a bloody good player when Otten went down. His 2009 was excellent. Has never been quite the same since.

Agreed, I'm not sure we can really get our hopes too high regarding Otten, certainly I hope Noble and Reid aren't relying on him to solve our "key defender" woes come the end of the year.

Having a think about this before, and with Jaensch out for the season:

B: Cheney - Lever - Brown
HB: Kelly - Talia - Laird
C: B. Crouch - Thompson - Smith
HF: Cameron - Lynch - Douglas
F: Betts - Walker - Jenkins
R: Jacobs - Dangerfield - Sloane
I: Henderson - M. Crouch - CEY - Mackay

I reckon that will be our ideal 22 after the bye.

AFL Depth: Grigg, Van Berlo, Wright, Kerridge, Hartigan, Lyons
Almost Ready: Lowden, Atkins, Knight, Siggins, O'Brien
Developing: Wigg, Wilson, Ramsey, Osborn, McGovern
Delist Material: Martin, Shaw, Podsiadly
Injured: Jaensch, Otten, Dear

Having a think about this before, and with Jaensch out for the season:

B: Cheney - Lever - Brown
HB: Kelly - Talia - Laird
C: B. Crouch - Thompson - Smith
HF: Cameron - Lynch - Douglas
F: Betts - Walker - Jenkins
R: Jacobs - Dangerfield - Sloane
I: Henderson - M. Crouch - CEY - Mackay

I reckon that will be our ideal 22 after the bye.

AFL Depth: Grigg, Van Berlo, Wright, Kerridge, Hartigan, Lyons
Almost Ready: Lowden, Atkins, Knight, Siggins, O'Brien
Developing: Wigg, Wilson, Ramsey, Osborn, McGovern
Delist Material: Martin, Shaw, Podsiadly
Injured: Jaensch, Otten, Dear

Shaw won't get delisted, you can put your house on it. The other two are almost definites.

Will smith be moved back too the back line after jeanch's ACL?

Hopefully not. If we have designs on Smith being a winger primarily with small stints in the backlines then it isn't achieving anything to move him back there.

Time for another person to take the reigns there. Hoping Riley Knight is ready to go in a week or two.

Hopefully not. If we have designs on Smith being a winger primarily with small stints in the backlines then it isn't achieving anything to move him back there.

Time for another person to take the reigns there. Hoping Riley Knight is ready to go in a week or two.

A situation like this could cause us too change that vision completely. He's showed he can excel at half back

A situation like this could cause us too change that vision completely. He's showed he can excel at half back

Of course, but, is it worth changing the vision due to a few injuries.

That and it's easier to blood youngsters on the HBF than it is to start them on the wing, even in the modern game.

This is my new 22 I want to have, not necessarily what would happen though.

B: Brown - Talia - Kelly
HB: Lever - Shaw - Laird
C: Smith - Thompson - Sloane
HF: Lynch - Jenkins - Douglas
F: Betts - Walker - Cameron
R: Jacobs - Dangerfield - B.Crouch
I: Henderson - M.Crouch - Ellis-Yolmen
S: Grigg

Depth
Tall defender: Hartigan, Otten and Siggins
Med/Small defender: Cheney, Knight and Wigg
Midfielders: Kerridge, Mackay, Van Berlo and Lyons
Tall forward: Podsiadly, Ramsey and McGovern
Med/Small forward: Wright and Martin
Ruck: O'Brien and Lowden

Firstly I reckon the criticism will come towards Sam Shaw. Well to be honest he's better, taller and stronger than Cheney. Siggins isn't AFL worthy then Otten is still coming back from injury as is Shaw but I feel he has a better opportunity to make that second key spot his for the time being. Basically between he and Hartigan and I'm personally backing in Sam. I want Kelly playing over Cheney if it came down to the two of them as he has youth on his side and both look pretty similiar at the minute. Anyone else agree with that backline? Cos I don't see Lever being our second tall come finals and it working in our favour.

Then I reckon the rest is pretty similar to what most others would say for our mids, forwards then rucks and interchange. Sub spot could be huge between Grigg, Wright and Mackay but I'd go with the lefty and his amazing ball use and elite kicking over the other two.

Will smith be moved back too the back line after jeanch's ACL?
images

He really is a man of many skills. Alternative talent rookie-list spot for him you reckon? :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back