Toast CROWS get their man Don Pyke named Adelaide coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Hopefully on his own, would save paying out his contract. I actually think they'd just put up with him though for the last 2 years as they cant afford to pay him out.

Let's just say that it's hard to know how ROK finds the time to coach given all his "me time".
Why would he leave if he can earn 300k whilst doing whatever he wants?

JPod's interview on the clubs website highlighted what many have been saying about Pyke

- Extremely high footy IQ
- strong planning and attention to detail
- strong leadership and people management skills which can be contributed to his Executive Level business background

I feel so confident about Pyke's appointment

I am one that's right there with you. There's a level of "what the hell is going to happen" as not much info has leaked out of the club about how the lads are going to train.
Same with last year. I remember Phil saying "You'll just have to wait and see", but dropped a few hints here and there with the confidence and slight arrogance that he had. We certainly seen it in full affect the first 3 rounds of the season.

But this season, thus far has been dead silent and yet I love that.
Very confident on this appointment. He'll do everything he can to keep Phil's legacy alive yet put down his own stamp on the playing style and playing group.

JPod's interview on the clubs website highlighted what many have been saying about Pyke

- Extremely high footy IQ
- strong planning and attention to detail
- strong leadership and people management skills which can be contributed to his Executive Level business background

JPods' spent a fair bit of time with him then? I'm happy about Pyke getting the gig and happy that Pods is sticking around. Although I would be happier if we'd nailed an experienced coach as well. But seriously, the guys just walked in the door and we're getting Pods' assessment. I wonder what his public assessment of Sando would have been. If (God forbid), Pyke turns out to be a bust, this assessment will be used as evidence in his favour against the naysayers, because, why would Pods have said this, he didn't need to.

Anyway, let's hope that JPods' initial assessment is correct this time and we've got the next Al Clarkson on our hands.

And I'm certain that Smart would have been able to get a job at another club if he was interested in leaving the state. With his Law and Political experience along with his general football club knowledge, his resume looked pretty good for someone wanting a job in sports management.

I'd suggest that if properly explored his track record and they spoke with his former colleagues, they might not be so enthusiastic.

I'd suggest that if properly explored his track record and they spoke with his former colleagues, they might not be so enthusiastic.
Steven Trigg is a current CEO of a club, Ian Robson walked straight from Essendon after his role to Melbourne Victory....... Smart would be fine.

Steven Trigg is a current CEO of a club, Ian Robson walked straight from Essendon after his role to Melbourne Victory....... Smart would be fine.
Helps when confident & has gift of the gab.

Helps when confident & has gift of the gab.
Seen many a dunce executive .....with the gift of the gab and corporate vocabulary talk themselves into roles far exceeding their capabilities (aka Trigg)

Seen many a dunce executive .....with the gift of the gab and corporate vocabulary talk themselves into roles far exceeding their capabilities (aka Trigg)
Yes, unfortunately most of us have seen these types. All talk no action & often no real clue. Also, tend to be all about me types rather than the organisation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So after playing down making a prediction and batting back Roweys top 4 claims, channel 10 sports presenter starts the story with Pyke pushing for top 4. Lazy idiots

So after playing down making a prediction and batting back Roweys top 4 claims, channel 10 sports presenter starts the story with Pyke pushing for top 4. Lazy idiots
Both of those numpties are unabashed Port fans. Most TV media are here, but apparently we still run the media.

He does seem to carry a bit of Walsh's "team first" type attitude to him, which was good to hear. Does sound like it'll be another off-season where we're short on time with a lot to accomplish which isn't great though, that due to both us making the finals and Pyke not coming aboard until after the grand final. Seems to have quite a few philosophy's that sound the same as Walsh's, he's not a clone and has his own ideas, but the core of what he expects a football team to put in make me think that had a big impact in the club wanting to get him.

Also confirmed that Glass won't be involved with the club anymore, but he'll work with the leaders himself, and may bring in some outside help if needed (not specified who though).

Also confirmed that Glass won't be involved with the club anymore, but he'll work with the leaders himself, and may bring in some outside help if needed (not specified who though).
Sounds like Glass is going down the Ray Mclean path, doing his own Leading Team type stuff.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back