2nds Crows in SANFL season 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

I just love the way I can create this defence of him by so many posters yet an unbiased opinion would be it was a bust pick.

Its almost like an experiment for me, social media is a weird thing
Box seat yes. Still think you are very very wrong though.
Going to enjoy reminding you of it through the years :)

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app[/QUOTE]
I just love the way I can create this defence of him by so many posters yet an unbiased opinion would be it was a bust pick.

Its almost like an experiment for me, social media is a weird thing

You didn't create anything but an opinion.
You gave that opinion and another poster replied.
It's a forum, that what happens in this weird world of social media.

You didn't create anything but an opinion.
You gave that opinion and another poster replied.
It's a forum, that what happens in this weird world of social media.[/QUOTE]

And a hundred more in defence of the first round pick we used

And yet the defence of him is still there with him failing to deliver anything in two years

Like I said, its interesting to watch the responses on social media especially when its anonymous where FB generally has some attachment occasionally you get some false accounts but it is generally a real identity you are chatting to and people tend to be a little better behaved as their friends may see what they are writing

Maybe the AFL need to fund it better.

The AFL commission has offered to completely fund the comp, but they wanted to it to run independently, like the TAC comp for under 16 and under 18. I heard WA is heading down that path.
I have seen a plan involving 4 inner city teams and 4 outer city teams, giving country players a better chance.
There also the SANFL cap, which the AFL commission want a standard second tier cap across all comp

The AFL commission has offered to completely fund the comp, but they wanted to it to run independently, like the TAC comp for under 16 and under 18. I heard WA is heading down that path.
I have seen a plan involving 4 inner city teams and 4 outer city teams, giving country players a better chance.
There also the SANFL cap, which the AFL commission want a standard second tier cap across all comp

The AFL commision have not, I personally spoke with Chris Davies before he moved to Port about this

I have read nowhere that they plan on funding unless you can provide a link with a statement not some journo's opinion

The AFL commision have not, I personally spoke with Chris Davies before he moved to Port about this

I have read nowhere that they plan on funding unless you can provide a link with a statement not some journo's opinion

How short memories are, remember the big stink over the SANFL cap and the AFL then refusing to increase funding if the SANFL spent it on salary Caps.
As for the Under 18 yes the Commission did discuss it and I can tell Chris Davies would have been part of the first conversation. as at the time he was at the Eagles.
Since then AFL decided to sit back and wait for the implosion which is quietly happening. Football Park has only slowed down the financial issues
Also not a journo opinion. As I have said I saw a Draft Document about a revamp under 16/18 comp fully involving the country areas. Not the current set up which basically supports the suburban clubs. and selected ones at that.

How short memories are, remember the big stink over the SANFL cap and the AFL then refusing to increase funding if the SANFL spent it on salary Caps.
As for the Under 18 yes the Commission did discuss it and I can tell Chris Davies would have been part of the first conversation. as at the time he was at the Eagles.
Since then AFL decided to sit back and wait for the implosion which is quietly happening. Football Park has only slowed down the financial issues
Also not a journo opinion. As I have said I saw a Draft Document about a revamp under 16/18 comp fully involving the country areas. Not the current set up which basically supports the suburban clubs. and selected ones at that.

Thats funny how we all speak to people or see documents but none of this has quotes from the people who matter most

It is totally clear the AFL arent a bottomless pit of money with over half the clubs struggling financially , Im sure the AFL commissioners will be looking over their shoulders and to ensure they get elected by the clubs again they may actual put a little more coin their way instead on wasting it elsewhere

They clearly love the fact they dont contribute to SA or WA like it is required in the NEAFL and if they did the clubs would be even more in strife

You are just spinning as you can say I am saying as neither of us have proof

But then again I wasnt the one that came and quoted it initially as factual

Thats funny how we all speak to people or see documents but none of this has quotes from the people who matter most

It is totally clear the AFL arent a bottomless pit of money with over half the clubs struggling financially , Im sure the AFL commissioners will be looking over their shoulders and to ensure they get elected by the clubs again they may actual put a little more coin their way instead on wasting it elsewhere

They clearly love the fact they dont contribute to SA or WA like it is required in the NEAFL and if they did the clubs would be even more in strife

You are just spinning as you can say I am saying as neither of us have proof

But then again I wasnt the one that came and quoted it initially as factual

Not spinning don't need too, also don't need to name poeple, and frankly don't really care.
What I do know is I have view documents in regards to a better under 16/18 comp for SA kids, yes it was a few years ago, and yes it was not supported by the SANFL commission.
I also know that the AFL commission reduced the spending the SANFL due to Caps. as they want an equal cap on all second tier comps.

I'm sure the AFL, a Victorian based business will have WA and SA football and it's history in the forefront of their concerns..........rolls eyes.
We've already seen it in the NEAFL of them mercilessly axing clubs that don't suit their own agendas. If anyone thinks that this will be in the best interests of SA footy they're having a lend of themselves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm sure the AFL, a Victorian based business will have WA and SA football and it's history in the forefront of their concerns..........rolls eyes.
We've already seen it in the NEAFL of them mercilessly axing clubs that don't suit their own agendas. If anyone thinks that this will be in the best interests of SA footy they're having a lend of themselves.
I don't know 1 way or the other what the right outcome is. It does seem to me, and quite a few other posting, that there is a diminishing number of young players emerging and being picked up in the top 25-30 at the draft. WA also seems to be having a similar problem. Any thoughts or ideas?

Hi guys, well done on Mitch Grigg winning the Margerey Medal.

What stopped him from taking the step into the big league ?

Worth another shot?

No pace. Hands/skills were not as clean at AFL level as they were at a level below.

Room for him as a depth player on a team that needs some bigger bodies.

It not about the SANFL clubs, it about the under16/18 comp, and the lack of development the current comp gives to future players.
A TAC system with 4 metro and 4 coutry teams
ie metro North, South, East and West, Country areas teams based at Murray bridge, Whyalla, Riverland and Kadina. that comp will attract more players,

I don't know 1 way or the other what the right outcome is. It does seem to me, and quite a few other posting, that there is a diminishing number of young players emerging and being picked up in the top 25-30 at the draft. WA also seems to be having a similar problem. Any thoughts or ideas?

Remeber its about football as a sport not about the elite path for the SANFL

There are 10 SANFL clubs with squads of around 35, so 350 players and you are worried about 15 players getting drafted thats only 4% of the actual players

No wonder the SANFL arent overly concerned

What are the interests of SA footy?

The under 18 comp is struggling to out perform the eastern academies. This is a state that has a rich history and should be contributing far more than it does. The quality seems to have dropped off. This doesn't bother you?

I think there's some definite failings in our development here in SA. Unfortunately there's little to no incentive for the SANFL and it's clubs to invest in elite level development. The other issue is a South Australian U18 comp is always going to struggle compared to Victoria just through sheer population. Where Victoria can produce an U18 comp with 8 high quality teams, we might be able to produce 2-3 teams of the same quality.

Quite frankly I think we were better off with an U19 league, as at least that way the elite junior level comp in SA could be propped up by some slightly more mature, experienced talent. Instead, our juniors have to play in senior level comps to get the same experience, in teams who's focus is on playing good SANFL footy, not on their development and there's big gulf in style and quality when comparing AFL to SANFL.

One only needs to look at mock ups of a South Australian State of Origin team to realise the dearth of talent that's come from SA in the past 10 years.

What the best model is, I'm not certain, but it's not the current model and I'm by no means saying an AFL run model would be any better. Personally I think academies for Crows and Port to assist with the development of elite young talent, that then plays through the SANFL/Schools and/or Crows/Port Reserves might work best. Although the question then becomes whether we get any special access to these kids for or hard work. Not an easy dilemma to solve.

Not worrying too much about 15 players out of their squads of 350, doesnt really warrant putting all your time if any into 4% of your players in that year level
350 isn't many out of all the footballers in South Australia either

Remeber its about football as a sport not about the elite path for the SANFL

There are 10 SANFL clubs with squads of around 35, so 350 players and you are worried about 15 players getting drafted thats only 4% of the actual players

No wonder the SANFL arent overly concerned
OK - so you are saying there is a disconnect between AFL and the SANFL clubs in regard to youth development? And the SANFL clubs first concern is the development of players for their own future? If that is what is happening it kind of makes sense.

The VFL is a diabolical league with clubs failing all over the place. The SANFL is far better run competition. The sooner a WA and SA common vision and structure the better is a more effective model.

The VFL is an AFL reserves comp with a few stragglers, it's no surprise the stragglers are struggling. The AFL reserves clubs, of which there's essentially 10, will be propped up and continue on no matter what now. The other clubs will die out or get relegated, which is probably the best thing for it. Quite frankly I'd rather us play in a league where our guys are going up against AFL listed players in sides attempting AFL type structures and game plans. The SANFL is not even close in this regard, play a very different brand of footy and quite simply, they don't want us there, we're just there for our money.

As long as we can sort out the logistics to play in the VFL, which shouldn't be that hard, I think it's a better option. Leave the SANFL to be the semi-professional comp, seperate to the AFL, that it wants to be.

Not worrying too much about 15 players out of their squads of 350, doesnt really warrant putting all your time if any into 4% of your players in that year level
thank you you have hit the nail on the head
That is the very reason the under 16 and 18 need to run independently from the SANFL clubs. they can then develop players,

Remove this Banner Ad

Back