List Mgmt. Current AFL Recruiting Systems.

Remove this Banner Ad

FromTheBoundaryLine

All Australian
Jun 7, 2022
AFL Club
Collingwood
Didn’t want to hijack other threads so putting up a separate one.

Watching the VFL the other day I was really finding it difficult to gauge player performance or development with seemingly 3 levels of talent in the one team: Senior AFL players who’ve been dropped or coming back from injury, drafted players, club level players.

It honestly made me wonder if we should leave the VFL, for example, to the best juniors (U/19) who go into the draft 19yo - 20yo.

Bring back the AFL “reserves/seconds” for draftees, senior AFL players not in the firsts, mature age recruits, mature age mid season draftees, SSP nominees etc.

We’ve got so many categories of recruits at present that having a dedicated “reserves team” outside the VFL may actually simplify the pathway approach.

I reckon the AFL and clubs could could afford it, if not then subsidies could be directed here rather than the draft. Given the absurd amounts of money being suggested for players recently and length of contracts being offered it may also ensure a fairly even spread of resources rather than being concentrated at the upper end. Also, having players drafted 19yo -20yo would perhaps be better for their development and an opportunity for them to get employment and life experience prior to drafting which may set them up to succeed in footy and outside of footy.

I’m thinking out loud with all of the above and realise it’s unlikely to happen but interested in other’s thoughts on the current systems in place which to me become more and more confusing each year.

In addition to the above. A dedicated AFL reserves team would also open up opportunities for would be coaches and assistant coaches to develop.
For example Pendles could choose to coach the Reserves rather than heading to another AFL club.

In addition to the above. A dedicated AFL reserves team would also open up opportunities for would be coaches and assistant coaches to develop.
For example Pendles could choose to coach the Reserves rather than heading to another AFL club.
I doubt it.
He has always said he wants to experience different environments and clubs, under different coaches etc to be the best coach he can be.
the anti-bucks

I doubt it.
He has always said he wants to experience different environments and clubs, under different coaches etc to be the best coach he can be.
the anti-bucks
Yes. And I think that’s a wise approach.
I’m already regretting making the thread 😔 as I hadn’t thought about how a “reserves” comp would work nowadays with the interstate teams. A lot of extra travel and accomodation etc.
If the mods and members feel it’s a dud thread I’m happy to take it down but don’t know how that works.

Yes. And I think that’s a wise approach.
I’m already regretting making the thread 😔 as I hadn’t thought about how a “reserves” comp would work nowadays with the interstate teams. A lot of extra travel and accomodation etc.
If the mods and members feel it’s a dud thread I’m happy to take it down but don’t know how that works.
I've heard, there could be a afl reserves come 2026, just a whisper around. It would be costly, but we'll see.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back