Game Day AFL National Draft night #1 - Currently hold pick 16. Monday November 28th. Coverage @ 7pm via Fox Footy, Kayo + AFL App

Remove this Banner Ad

So I know picks will be traded and bids will come etc but the reality is we can have 2 of these 9 players if we want them... With what will be maybe picks 29 & 31

#15 Olli Hotton
#16 Lewis Hayes
#18 Brayden George
#21 Lachlan Cowan
#22 Henry Hustwaite
#24 Harry Barnett
#25 Coby Burgiel
#27 Mitch Szybkowski
#28 Isaac Keeler
No Ryan?? In all likelihood Derek has him one of the next 3 on his board…

Melbourne look set to be one of the suitors for Greater Western Sydney’s coveted pick at the start of round two after drafting a second key forward in as many years.

The Demons aggressively tried but failed to move up the AFL draft order, including offering three first-round selections for Essendon’s picks four and 22 at the time.

Exciting forward Brayden George - who suffered an ACL rupture in August - the draft’s best ruckman Harry Barnett and medium-sized defender Jakob Ryan are potential targets for the Demons.

I was hoping one of Hewett, Allan or Weddle would slide. I was surprised Sydney looked perplexed at the trade table & eventually traded out their pick to the Hawks & in doing so overlooked the latter 2 players. Weddle is a similar player to Michalanney that they had just placed a bid on.
I was equally surprised that the Hawks didn't go for Allan over Weddle given Dads Hawthorn connection.

Last edited:
Given Allen has no defined position yet… I don’t think we go tall utility types in Ryan or Hustwaite

Hayes
they would’ve taken already if they wanted a full back or half back… but probably feel like Moore, Frampton and Dean (and Kelly if it clicks) get the job done in that regard

Don’t see a point in a stock standard centre mid in say Szybkowski who long term is going to be behind several others in the pecking order

Wouldn’t surprise me if they go a project forward like Keeler, Lemmy or even Gruzewski… who as an Oakleigh boy has been under Hines nose the whole time

…Cause McStay, Mihocek and to some degree Johnson are the only true 190cm plus marking forward’s we have

Burnett is the best ruck option… but they might want have faith in Begg and/or want a mature age ruck back up instead of a kid

Otherwise it’s the smalls in Clarke and Hotton (if available), Burgiel, Richards, etc

Snap up Clarke if he’s still there… But with Bianco and then young Harrison and Murley (redrafted)… I’m not too keen on too many more smalls

Cowan looks good but has the go home factor when a TAS team starts

So I guess I’m at the point where… unless someone they really like slides… I hope they only take 1 player and then package up the remaining two picks and move into the 2023 draft

Can restructure the list to fit in less senior but more rookie spots…

but imo no point taking the final 2 picks tonight knowing that

a) you need to keep likely ‘average’ players for 2 years instead of 1 as a rookie

b) said players are likely to end up delisted like Rantall, McMahon etc

c) not having decent 2nds and 3rds next year will hurt the pies 2023 draft/trade prospects

Best Draft Picks:
North Melbourne

Runner-up:
West Coast

Daddy, can I play AFL? Award:
Brisbane

The Not Very Nice Award:
Sydney

Nuffy Award (sponsored by Facebook):
GWS

Arrest Warrant for Stealing:
Collingwood

Dumb Drafting Award (sponsored by a variety of footy journalists with no clue about sport):
Hawthorn.

Gut feel reckons we will be sliding back tonight on our two selections

I agree with this, I reckon there will be a few still on the board, which might be enough for someone to offer up a future 2nd round pick. We have a decent hole next year and I think Hine would be looking to address that where possible.

Interested to see how Essendon play tonights draft, wouldn't be surprised if they traded their pick 25 back knowing GWS, WC or WB would likely bid on Davey here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with this, I reckon there will be a few still on the board, which might be enough for someone to offer up a future 2nd round pick. We have a decent hole next year and I think Hine would be looking to address that where possible.

Interested to see how Essendon play tonights draft, wouldn't be surprised if they traded their pick 25 back knowing GWS, WC or WB would likely bid on Davey here.
I wonder if we could move one of our picks up slightly and bring in a latter round future second for the other? Depends on who has the capital.

Also, Dees want pick 22. Wonder if they could grab our pick 30, bundle it with their pick 38 to appease Giants and give us a F2 back? Not sure Giants would want to take 5 players in this draft tho.

In Hine’s post rd1 presser he said he’ll be getting on the blower to move our picks so I’d expect some shenanigans.

Get out the popcorn 🍿

Last edited:
Running Tasmania defender Lachie Cowan has some strong interest in the teens, and Sydney and Bulldogs will have a close look early in the second round.

The draft’s best ruckman Harry Barnett is unlikely to last long on the second night, with the Giants, Magpies and Swans showing plenty of pre-draft interest.

Melbourne might come for the opening pick of the second night with Barnett in mind, while Adelaide has also been working the phones as they look trade back in.

Key tall Lewis Hayes, running defender Jakob Ryan, smart midfielder-forward Olli Hotton, swingman Max Gruzewski and the exciting Brayden George are are five others to watch for tonight.

Here’s how we ranked the next 15​

HENRY HUSTWAITE
Midfielder/defender, 195cm, 82kg

Expert consensus ranking: 15

OLLI HOTTON
Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro - Forward/midfielder, 182cm, 80kg

Expert consensus ranking: 17

LACHIE COWAN
Tasmania Devils/Allies - Defender, 187cm, 81kg

Expert consensus ranking: 18

LEWIS HAYES
Eastern Ranges/Vic Metro – Defender, 199cm, 81kg

Expert consensus ranking: 19

BRAYDEN GEORGE
Murray Bushrangers/Vic Country – Forward, 185cm, 87kg

Expert consensus ranking: 22

ALWYN DAVEY JR
Oakleigh Chargers/Vic Metro/Essendon father-son – Forward/midfielder, 181cm, 77kg

Expert consensus ranking: 23

HARRY BARNETT
West Adelaide/SA – 202cm, 97kg

Expert consensus ranking: 24

CHARLIE CLARKE
Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro – Forward, 181cm, 77kg

Expert consensus ranking: 27

JAKOB RYAN
Glenelg/SA - Defender, 189cm, 79kg

Expert consensus ranking: 29

COBY BURGIEL
Gippsland Power/Vic Country – Midfielder/forward, 183cm, 80kg

Expert consensus ranking: 31

SAM GILBEY
Claremont/WA – Defender/midfielder, 187cm, 73kg

Expert consensus ranking: 32

MAX GRUZEWSKI
Oakleigh Chargers/Vic Metro – Forward/defender, 193cm, 84kg

Expert consensus ranking: 33

ISAAC KEELER
North Adelaide/SA/Crows NGA – Forward/ruck, 200cm, 95kg

Expert consensus ranking: 34

JAXON BINNS
Dandenong Stingrays/Vic Country – Midfielder/forward, 182cm, 69kg

Expert consensus ranking: 35

MITCH SZYBKOWSKI
Dandenong Stingrays/Vic Country – Midfielder, 186cm, 86kg

Expert consensus ranking: 36

WHAT IS THE FULL DRAFT ORDER?

ROUND 2
22. GWS
23. West Coast
24. Western Bulldogs
25. Essendon
26. North Melbourne
27. Sydney
28. Collingwood
29. West Coast
30. Collingwood
31. St Kilda
32. Carlton
33. Fremantle
34. GWS
35. St Kilda
36. Port Adelaide
37. Hawthorn
38. Melbourne

ROUND 3
39. Western Bulldogs
40. Sydney
41. Fremantle
42. Fremantle
43. Gold Coast
44. St Kilda
45. Hawthorn
46. Carlton
47. Collingwood
48. Richmond
49. Essendon
50. Brisbane
51. GWS
52. Geelong

ROUND 4
53. Port Adelaide
54. Essendon
55. Richmond
56. North Melbourne
57. Carlton
58. Fremantle
59. Essendon
60. Western Bulldogs
61. Gold Coast
62. Sydney
63. Fremantle
64. West Coast
65. Port Adelaide
66. St Kilda
67. Carlton
68. Western Bulldogs
69. Adelaide
70. Richmond

Charlie Clarke? I mean I think the bulldogs will take him before us… but if he’s there he’s worth considering

Same too Gruzewski…

Most of that list will be gone. Sorry, poorly worded post on my behalf.

More or less for the next 9 picks we have picks 7 and 9.

We could get 2 from that list, but who we get obviously depends on who slides etc

I'd say we are a pretty good chance to pick up Jakob Ryan with one of our two remaining picks.

I hope we do because I want to see some of you melt and then later go on to see him be a star.

I'd say we are a pretty good chance to pick up Jakob Ryan with one of our two remaining picks.

I hope we do because I want to see some of you melt and then later go on to see him be a star.

I be Fine now us Picking Ryan.

Was not a 1st Round /Top 20 Prospect

Our first pick was best available and it's hard to believe Hine would alter that thinking at our next pick given it's range is still within the top 30.

Good players will still be found here. The hard part is calling out the right one.

If we maintain that second 2nd round selection then I could see us going with a project KPP at that point (assuming one wasn't taken prior as best available).

Personally I hope we either maintain the two second round selections this year (a slight downgrading of one would be acceptable if it got us a future 2nd or 3rd round pick as compensation) or we look to see if we can bundle up the two to move up the order a couple of places if Hine is really keen on a player and we think he'll be off the board before we get our opportunity.

Trying to do this for a KPP like a Hayes or Barnett would seem the most likely would it not?

At the end of the day Hines thinking will likely alter with every player taken off the board so it's a fools game trying to predict just what will unfold.

Call me a fool but I find the idea of trading out one of our 2nd round picks entirely for a future 2nd boring when I want some excitement tonight.

Us bringing in Ryan will largely depend on Melbourne acquiring the first pick tonight. I’d also love to see the melts, but I think the issue was more about it being with our 1st than Ryan per se.

So for the rest of our picks, do we go for needs, or keep to best available?
Given Allen has no defined position yet… I don’t think we go tall utility types in Ryan or Hustwaite

Hayes
they would’ve taken already if they wanted a full back or half back… but probably feel like Moore, Frampton and Dean (and Kelly if it clicks) get the job done in that regard

Don’t see a point in a stock standard centre mid in say Szybkowski who long term is going to be behind several others in the pecking order

Wouldn’t surprise me if they go a project forward like Keeler, Lemmy or even Gruzewski… who as an Oakleigh boy has been under Hines nose the whole time

…Cause McStay, Mihocek and to some degree Johnson are the only true 190cm plus marking forward’s we have

Burnett is the best ruck option… but they might want have faith in Begg and/or want a mature age ruck back up instead of a kid

Otherwise it’s the smalls in Clarke and Hotton (if available), Burgiel, Richards, etc

Snap up Clarke if he’s still there… But with Bianco and then young Harrison and Murley (redrafted)… I’m not too keen on too many more smalls

Cowan looks good but has the go home factor when a TAS team starts

So I guess I’m at the point where… unless someone they really like slides… I hope they only take 1 player and then package up the remaining two picks and move into the 2023 draft

Can restructure the list to fit in less senior but more rookie spots…

but imo no point taking the final 2 picks tonight knowing that

a) you need to keep likely ‘average’ players for 2 years instead of 1 as a rookie

b) said players are likely to end up delisted like Rantall, McMahon etc

c) not having decent 2nds and 3rds next year will hurt the pies 2023 draft/trade prospects
Hayes could be rated next by Derek… he always said he would take best available though. Reckon he’ll be gone pretty quickly, but if he’s still there, I reckon we will pounce.

Gilbey could be an interesting one to watch… Claremont boy, so a pal for Allan? and represented Aus. Flying under the radar by most…

Derek no doubt has his other favourites tho

Us bringing in Ryan will largely depend on Melbourne acquiring the first pick tonight. I’d also love to see the melts, but I think the issue was more about it being with our 1st than Ryan per se.

You think they’re trading in for Ryan and not Barnett?

Harry Barnett (West Adelaide)
202cm | 93kg | 22/01/2004 | Ruck

There is considerable interest in Barnett from a range of clubs in round two, and having traded down the order, Sydney may be one. The Swans hold pick 27 and could look at the South Australian tall if available, especially with Collingwood lurking at picks 28 and 30. Considered the best ruck in this year’s crop, Barnett is already well built but has nice scope for improvement as a second round prospect. If they don’t trade pick 22, the Giants may also have a look.

Coby Burgiel (Gippsland Power)
183cm | 80kg | 09/09/2004 | Midfielder/Forward

Burgiel is another player in the powerful midfielder-forward bracket, and if any club missed out on one in during the first night of drafting, he could be a value option down the order. The Gippsland Power product has a good turn of speed and is a proven goalkicker forward of centre, and may be of interest for clubs like West Coast and Collingwood around the 30-mark. Perhaps GWS has a look at pick 34 if he remains on the board.

Charlie Clarke (Sandringham Dragons)
182cm | 75kg | 04/01/2004 | Forward/Midfielder

A player which has long been linked to GWS, Clarke remains on the board after the Giants went with Darcy Jones having firstly been made to match a bid for Harry Rowston, before Jacob Konstanty was snapped up by Sydney. The livewire forward possesses uncanny instincts in front of goal and provides great energy inside 50, while also displaying scope to develop as a midfielder. He’ll be in contention for the Giants and Western Bulldogs early on night two, but could also slip to Collingwood.

Lachlan Cowan (Tasmania Devils)
188cm | 81kg | 01/12/2004 | Defender

Potentially one of the most sought after players to go unselected last night, Cowan will be the first Tasmanian taken in this year’s draft. The rebounding half-back plays an attractive brand of football and has clear upside as an attacking force out of the backline, suiting modern day ball movement. He may come into GWS’ thoughts, though clubs like Sydney and Collingwood were also linked in round one, and North Melbourne could have a look.

Alwyn Davey Jr (Oakleigh Chargers)
181cm | 77kg | 26/02/2004 | Forward/Midfielder

A combined four bids were placed on father-son and academy players on night one, but Davey was not one of them. Thankfully for Essendon, though without guarantee, it seems as if he will slide past pick 25 and allow the Bombers to snap up another player. Nonetheless, he shouldn’t last too much longer and given the bidding outcomes which went down on night one, anything goes here. On talent alone, Davey’s speed and decision making are first round quality.

Brayden George (Murray Bushrangers)
185cm | 87kg | 13/01/2004 | Forward

George is somewhat of a wildcard in this year’s draft, given he is arguably a first round talent but will likely miss his entire maiden season as he recovers from an ACL tear. He is another who was linked with clubs late in the first round, and will be in the frame to go first on night two should either GWS hold the pick, or another side trade up to secure his services.

Max Gruzewski (Oakleigh Chargers)
193cm | 84kg | 21/07/2004 | Tall Forward/Defender

A rising tall prospect who can play at either end of the ground, Gruzewski certainly caught the eye this year with his aerial ability. The Oakleigh Chargers prospect could be of interest to a number of clubs in the second round, with the likes of Hawthorn and North Melbourne potentially in for developing talls. His scope for improvement is impressive and should excite clubs in that hitting zone.

Lewis Hayes (Eastern Ranges)
197cm | 81kg | 17/12/2004 | Key Defender

Another key position prospect up for grabs and one who some clubs may have rated within the first 20 players, Hayes looks set to be snapped up in that 25-30 range. The brother of Port Adelaide ruck, Sam, Hayes offers good versatility as a tall defender who can lock down on direct opponents aerially, but is just as comfortable with ball in hand. He could be too good to refuse early on night two.

Olli Hotton (Sandringham Dragons)
181cm | 77kg | 06/09/2004 | Midfielder/Forward

Collingwood looks like a good fit for Hotton, whose dad played for the Pies from 1994-96. The midfielder-forward is blazing his own trail though, projecting as an exciting type with his blend of clean clearance nous and athleticism. He has been ranked for most of the year around the 15-25 mark but could be available just outside that range.

Henry Hustwaite (Dandenong Stingrays)
195cm | 84kg | 20/07/2004 | Midfielder/Defender

One of the most curious cases in this year’s draft, Hustwaite’s fundamentals are high quality but some of his deficiencies fly in the face of what recruiters look for. His brother Campbell is captain of Collingwood’s VFL side, though the Magpies just selected a tall midfielder in Edward Allan, meaning clubs like West Coast and St Kilda may be in the frame for his services instead.

Isaac Keeler (North Adelaide)
198cm | 88kg | 23/04/2004 | Key Forward/Ruck

Having not been nominated by Adelaide as an NGA selection, plenty of clubs would be thrilled at the prospect of picking up Keeler. The South Australian tall is one of the most naturally talented players available but would have a diverse draft range between clubs. Collingwood may be in for the key forward, and Fremantle could do worse than to take a look and develop him as a ruck.

Jakob Ryan (Glenelg)
189cm | 77kg | 20/09/2004 | Defender

Much like many others on this list, Ryan was a chance to go within the first round with Collingwood a potential suitor. He could be available to the Magpies once more as they hold two second rounders, though any of the teams selecting beforehand stand a chance of cutting in. The versatile South Australian offers aerial ability and composure across all three lines, but will likely find a home down back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back